Digital recorders - Denon DN-900R

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
I just ordered a Denon DN-900R digital recorder.

Denon DN-900R Product page

Back in the old days of two channel, we all had tape decks and we had a lot of fun making tapes. I don’t want to go back to tape, so, I have decided to go this way.

Does anybody have a digital recorder? Does anybody have this Denon or a Denon?

My preamp has tape loop inputs and outputs so I should be all set.

I’m looking forward to being able to program the recording through a web interface.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
I use the Tascam DA3000. Both units have the same form factor. Looking at the features of the Denon, there are major differences. The Denon can only record in PCM up to 24/96; the Tascam can do DSD64, DSD128 and PCM up to 24/192. The Denon has a microphone preamp whereas the Tascam does not. The Tascam has SDIF2 for outputting DSD data. The Denon can record onto two SD cards simultaneously, whereas the Tascam has one SD card and one CF card slots. The Tascam currently costs about 50% more than the Denon. Since I record exclusively in DSD, this is the only option for me.

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
was
I use the Tascam DA3000. Both units have the same form factor. Looking at the features of the Denon, there are major differences. The Denon can only record in PCM up to 24/96; the Tascam can do DSD64, DSD128 and PCM up to 24/192. The Denon has a microphone preamp whereas the Tascam does not. The Tascam has SDIF2 for outputting DSD data. The Denon can record onto two SD cards simultaneously, whereas the Tascam has one SD card and one CF card slots. The Tascam currently costs about 50% more than the Denon. Since I record exclusively in DSD, this is the only option for me.

What source are you recording in DSD? Since my source is FM radio, I didn’t think I needed DSD.

That Tascam is 100% more expensive than the Denon, $1500 vs $750.

The comparable Tascam is the R250N at $1000. I heard complaints about it and don’t know if it has a good web interface for scheduling recordings.

Do all of the Tascam recorders have a web interface for controlling the recording? The front panels on these kind of devices are endlessly frustrating.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
was

What source are you recording in DSD? Since my source is FM radio, I didn’t think I needed DSD.

That Tascam is 100% more expensive than the Denon, $1500 vs $750.

The comparable Tascam is the R250N at $1000. I heard complaints about it and don’t know if it has a good web interface for scheduling recordings.

Do all of the Tascam recorders have a web interface for controlling the recording? The front panels on these kind of devices are endlessly frustrating.
Mostly master tapes. Either my own recordings or production/safety masters of commercial recordings.
The front panel of the DA3000 is very easy to use. The recorder is completely reliable and DSD sounds excellent. Better than PCM on this machine.

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Mostly master tapes. Either my own recordings or production/safety masters of commercial recordings.
The front panel of the DA3000 is very easy to use. The recorder is completely reliable and DSD sounds excellent. Better than PCM on this machine.

Nice! I think we have different use cases. Do you agree?

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
Yes, but you might find other uses later such as for archiving your LPs etc. Spending a bit more upfront is probably better than having to upgrade later. You can also consider getting a good used unit, since the Tascam has been around for a long time, so they should be available on the second hand market. I have had mine for at least 6 years, and it is very reliable.

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
Yes, but you might find other uses later such as for archiving your LPs etc. Spending a bit more upfront is probably better than having to upgrade later. You can also consider getting a good used unit, since the Tascam has been around for a long time, so they should be available on the second hand market. I have had mine for at least 6 years, and it is very reliable.

I know I’ll never get around to archiving my vinyl as that has already been done by Tidal and Qobuz, to which I subscribe. I doubt I have any rare albums. I don’t collect 78s.

I’m mainly interested in recording from FM, as funny as that may sound to some people, so the web interface to set up recordings at different times is what is important to me.

Does the Tascam have a web interface to do that?

The Denon is back ordered in all of the places I trust and so I am waiting for it. I hope they get it soon. Perhaps I will go with a Tascam if I can’t get the Denon.

Last edited:

LarryK

Jan 27, 2018
I got the Denon and love it. It runs a web server that makes it easy to schedule repeated recordings.

The only problem is that I have no way to set the source. Some source switching happens in my DAC and some in my preamp and I know of no way to do that automatically.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing