Did anyone ever see the Blue Pearl JEM Turntable?

m4martin

Mar 10, 2019
If you ever saw, or heard the JEM Turntable, where, what did you think of it, honestly, all your opinions are of interest to me.

Attachments

• 22D98362-E6E7-4CCC-A756-B93287FAB376.jpeg
    22D98362-E6E7-4CCC-A756-B93287FAB376.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 26

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It was £50k some 12 years ago. Preposterous. I believe there's one for sale sub £10k. Less preposterous.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I also believe Roy Gregory referenced it in his detailed review of the Zanden 4-box digital, where he felt that the Blue Gem was a reference for him in certain respects...cohesiveness...and the Zanden was the first digital to present similar qualities to this TT.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Try again on the link? Else will try to fix it tonight. I think it has a lot of potential as it has great bass, large stage, macro slam. Make it a two arm table ideally with one linear tracker and improve mids and highs? The one I heard had focus more on the lower half of the spectrum. Harry Pearson too seemed to use the word pear shaped, indicating lower half focus

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Think my previous link post was incorrect, corrected it

m4martin

Mar 10, 2019
It was £50k some 12 years ago. Preposterous. I believe there's one for sale sub £10k. Less preposterous.

That’s a comment I find interesting.
As a long term music and hi-fi lover , and precision engineer. I have always been attracted by high quality pieces of hi-fi engineering. For me, the 70’s, 80’s era was wonderful. Mainstream brands like Sony, Marantz, Pioneer, Technics, Rotel, and Revox all producing some wonderful products.
If you take one top class example of their products, then out on your own, replicate it exactly, I wonder how much it would cost you. I’m sure it would be many times the price the consumer would have paid the Hi-Fi store. Having actually produced my own product, I have first had experience of the proposterous amount of money and time it actually took to bring it into existence. The payment the manufacturer receives is usually only a fraction of the sales price, and hence profits can be very tight margins. I can tell you I never received a proposterous price for my product, nor did we cover its development cost, and I could never actually afford to build one for myself to keep. That said, I loved it, I’m very proud of its achievements, I still want one, it was a wonderful experience.
If you buy a 100 of them I’m sure they can be made for a less proposterous price.

m4martin

Mar 10, 2019
Try again on the link? Else will try to fix it tonight. I think it has a lot of potential as it has great bass, large stage, macro slam. Make it a two arm table ideally with one linear tracker and improve mids and highs? The one I heard had focus more on the lower half of the spectrum. Harry Pearson too seemed to use the word pear shaped, indicating lower half focus

I never saw any printed comments from Harry Pearson. Where did you see his comments?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
That’s a comment I find interesting.
As a long term music and hi-fi lover , and precision engineer. I have always been attracted by high quality pieces of hi-fi engineering. For me, the 70’s, 80’s era was wonderful. Mainstream brands like Sony, Marantz, Pioneer, Technics, Rotel, and Revox all producing some wonderful products.
If you take one top class example of their products, then out on your own, replicate it exactly, I wonder how much it would cost you. I’m sure it would be many times the price the consumer would have paid the Hi-Fi store. Having actually produced my own product, I have first had experience of the proposterous amount of money and time it actually took to bring it into existence. The payment the manufacturer receives is usually only a fraction of the sales price, and hence profits can be very tight margins. I can tell you I never received a proposterous price for my product, nor did we cover its development cost, and I could never actually afford to build one for myself to keep. That said, I loved it, I’m very proud of its achievements, I still want one, it was a wonderful experience.
If you buy a 100 of them I’m sure they can be made for a less proposterous price.

There has been one for sale for ages with Nick at Emporium. Maybe now is your chance.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I never saw any printed comments from Harry Pearson. Where did you see his comments?

Ah, he had comments in different articles rather than one

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

m4martin

Mar 10, 2019
There has been one for sale for ages with Nick at Emporium. Maybe now is your chance.
Hmm…
Nick has sold it.
It is NOT actually a Blue Pearl JEM Turntable. It is however a turntable that I made the platter, motor housing, and arm board for. The motor, pulley, motor housing, motor electronics, stand, arm pod, main spindle are all entirely different from the JEM Turntable. I made the parts for a dear friend of mine that has since sadly died.

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hmm…
Nick has sold it.
It is NOT actually a Blue Pearl JEM Turntable. It is however a turntable that I made the platter, motor housing, and arm board for. The motor, pulley, motor housing, motor electronics, stand, arm pod, main spindle are all entirely different from the JEM Turntable. I made the parts for a dear friend of mine that has since sadly died.

Was that Dave? I heard that one at Nick's

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Martin, no aspersions cast on the tt, just the pricing. We are talking well over a decade ago, and the tt was second only to Rockport Sirius in price. Even if you wanted it, it was impossible to aspire to it. At least the Sirius came w arm. This was reviewed w the SME V that I'd fallen out of love with after several years' ownership.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Martin, no aspersions cast on the tt, just the pricing. We are talking well over a decade ago, and the tt was second only to Rockport Sirius in price. Even if you wanted it, it was impossible to aspire to it. At least the Sirius came w arm. This was reviewed w the SME V that I'd fallen out of love with after several years' ownership.

There was a lot of Rockport - Roy Gregory politics behind that review, so I wouldn't go by it.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
£50k Ked is the only take away of relevance. I hope it's the best tt in the world. If you're going to price it to suggest as much...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing