Diana Krall: Wallflower

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Wallflower is a Diana Krall cover album of popular songs from the 1960s and 1970s. The album was performed in collaboration with David Foster, who plays most of the piano on the album.

How is the recording quality on this album?

I listened to most of the songs on Spotify, and Krall’s performance style on this album seems subdued and kind of boring and lethargic.

Am I missing something?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Isn't her singing always lethargic anyway? :)

Guilty pleasure of mine is just one song. The one by Crowded House originally.

Reactions: KeithR

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Isn't her singing always lethargic anyway? :)

Guilty pleasure of mine is just one song. The one by Crowded House originally.
Lethargic. I am learning more English here everyday. If it means yawning, then I agree with the Congressman.

Tang :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
LOL I love you man LOL

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The unicorn and the mouse covered it better IMO :D

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It's not her best recording album...Wallflower. The arrangements are pop produced, meaning lacking the essence, artificial. I just listened to it...in a peaceful morning mood. It's a commercial album, not audiophile.

Diana Krall was born not far from me, on Vancouver Island...Nanaimo.
I do have most of her best albums plus few concerts on videos.

For your pleasure only ...

Wallflower is one of her last albums on my list...by quality music production.
As an artist in jazz she's one of my favourites (singer/piano player), and some of her albums are very well recorded, with her musicians. I like very much her music, her playing, her soothing voice, the musicians who play with her, and the quality of her best albums recordings plus few concerts on Blu-ray. I am proud of her, I like her, she's like a sister.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Diana Krall is the only performer where we left from a concert early in our lifetime, Boring and lifeless.

Bodhi

Apr 20, 2014
Diana Krall is the only performer where we left from a concert early in our lifetime, Boring and lifeless.
She was a better performer earlier in her career imho around the time she recorded the Live in Paris concert & studio album 'The look of love' (circa 2001).

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
It is a crap album, Ron. Synthetic, audiophile, saccharin crapola.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Thank you for those reports!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
I think Diana Krall’s two late 90’s albums on Impulse sounds great and are great music. After that, it was a slow decline musically, for me anyway, until the point where I lost interest. I did give Wallflower a listen but also found it kinda dull, sadly. I agree that Live in Paris is an excellent live album.

I saw Diana live in a small club in Toronto in 1996 - and she was terrific live in that era and setting.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I still think she is a wonderful pianist. I will give her the credit of bringing Jazz to a wider audience. I will always appreciate her for that.

That's the thing about this album. She sang and Foster played. I would rather he had stayed behind the sheet music where I always thought he was best unless behind elite vocal talents who can execute his typically overblown arrangements.

Reactions: Skylab

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
- - - Her two best concerts together in one package:

1. Live in Paris
2. Live in Rio

Two Blu-ray discs for less than $20 (Amazon)

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There was a time I used Diana Krall and stockfisch for auditioning because some dealer told me that's how you need to audition. I religiously used them because I thought that was audiophilia. I congratulate myself for having moved on from there long ago

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
There was a time I used Diana Krall and stockfisch for auditioning because some dealer told me that's how you need to audition. I religiously used them because I thought that was audiophilia. I congratulate myself for having moved on from there long ago

Been there done that lol.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

Only trust your heart. You're back with Zeppelin?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Only trust your heart. You're back with Zeppelin?

Classical. Only Mike's system could really do led zep the way I can imagine they sounded when the shocked the US supporting Iron Butterfly, then On Danish TV- that time such raw power was unknown

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing