Denafrips Arce Streamer Review

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
Last year I purchased a Lumin U2 mini streamer which was a nice improvement over my Sonore OpticalRendu. It had better resolution which increased musical tactibility. Added a SBooster MKII linear PS which kicked up the sound quality by a notch especially in bass extension/resolution. The only drawback with the Lumin is I had to put my HQPlayer software aside, since they are not compatible. Since I improved my sound quality, told myself that this was still a good situation.

A few weeks ago while I was surfing on Vinshine Audio’s web site, I noticed that they had developed a new Arce streamer @$1K USD. This bad boy is a Roon bridge, (Roon Ready certification is pending). The Arce can be sourced with the HQPlayer NAA software, has a I2S output and can be externally clocked by the OCXO clocks of my Denafrips Terminator Plus DAC.

Denafrips has developed a proprietary streamer module optimized for sound quality. So told myself that I had nothing to loose. Worst comes to worst, if the Arce is not up to the audio quality of my Lumin combo, I could always resell the Arce with minimal loss. I placed my pre-order the same day and received my streamer last Tuesday.

I went for the fast track using the coaxial output cable to my T+ DAC. I was just blown away by the quality of this streamer which is still in its break-in phase. The Arce is extremely quiet, dynamics are up the roof, bass is extended and very impactful. Stage width/depth and imaging is excellent. Instruments timbre sound very natural and rich.

Fiddled around getting the I2S and external clocks configured. Had to request Alvin Chee from Vinshine Audio to help me out. I was confused by selecting HQPlayer LED instead of the Airplay LED, all my bad . So cleared up these configuration issues and enjoyed additional audiophile bonuses (another notch of added resolution).

Finally used my HQPlayer NAA to feed my Arce streamer, which is an improvement over the Roon app. I am now enjoying a dramatic increase in musical enjoyment with my Arce bad boy!

The only issue I’ve had with the Arce streamer is that there is occasional stuttering when playing music. I’ve had 4 interruptions over a listening period of about 8 hours. Contacted Alvin on this matter and he indicated that Denafrips was aware of the situation. They will come up with a new firmware to solve this issue.

So my Lumin/SBooster combo is up for sale. This Arce streamer will be a giant killer IMHO. You will have to pay ´mucho pesos’ to get the equivalent performance of this streamer.

Reactions: Rexp

Sandston

Jan 27, 2021
Thank you for the review. I was considering trying the new Lumin U2 (Non mini) in place of my opticalrendu, Curious why you didnt try this upgrade. I have a Denafrips T2 dac and Iris DDC and youve got my interest peaked at 1000's less. The lack of the optical ethernet in is what attracted me to the new Lumin U2. Im glad more mfgs. are adopting this protocol. All the little boxes are stating to wear me down.

Reactions: MichaelHiFi

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
The Lumin U2 looks very interesting with its optical network connection, linear power supply and direct coupled USB to DAC connection. However, once you add a SBooster to a Lumin U2 Mini, I wonder if there is much difference between the U2 and U2 Mini? The SBooster only add $400 USD to the cost of the U2 Mini, which is about $2,500 USD for a total of $2,900 USD. So the math did not work out for the U2 at $4,500 USD.

My issues with the Sonore products is that they require external PS to sound their best and the OpticalModule did not have network flow control, which limited the choice of HQPlayer filter/upsampling/modulation engines. This is what triggered the U2 Mini purchase, since it sounded better than the Sonore/HQPlayer combo.

My U2 Mini served me very well with an increase of audio quality, zero operational issues and helped me simplify my audio system. But lost my HQPlayer capability since incompatible with Lumin products.

Once I saw the Arce introduction, I sold my Hermes DDC, since I wanted to recoup my two clock connections from my Terminator Plus DAC. The Hermes sale financed the purchase of the Arce and left me some change .

Don’t know if you are clocking your Iris via your T2 DAC, if so, you will need to sell your Iris if you want to hookup the Arce clock inputs to your DAC. In my case, selling my Hermes to purchase my Arce, was a significant audio improvement. I do not miss the Hermes at all. Hope this helps.

LPBadge

Sep 19, 2023
Canada
I received my Arce streamer last week and have been very frustrated.

I purchased this for two reasons, first so I could use it as a HQPlayer NAA, and second so I could use the i2s input on my PS Audio Directstream DAC.
Unfortunately, both of these features are total failures!

I had no problem getting the HQPlayer NAA to work, however, there is frequent stuttering and then the unit goes into a constant stuttering with no music and completely locks up. This requires shutting the Arce down and restarting only to have the stuttering return.

As far as the i2s, I matched the pinout for PS Audio and only got a distorted signal out of one channel. I tried all different pinout configurations, all with the same result. Also tried four different HDMI cables to ensure that was not the problem.
I decided to purchase a really cheap DDC with i2s output on Amazon so I could test the i2s on my DAC to make sure it was not the problem. I connected the cheap DDC to my Mac and configured the pinout the same as with the Arce and no problem using i2s at all. This eliminated the DAC as the culprit so the problem is definitely with the Arce.

Contacted Alvin several times and they are looking into it. :mad:
I would like a replacement because it seems I have a defective unit but they want to see if they can fix it via software. Not sure how long that will take but I am assured that it is a priority. :rolleyes:
Alvin indicated before I purchased it that they had Beta testers - I just didn't realize that meant paying customers are the testers!

So, the only way I can use the Arce is through Coax connection using Roon.
Major disappointment!!!

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
While I totally understand your frustration with your new purchase, I think that we have to be patient with Denafrips to resolve these issues. I have encountered the same stuttering issues with the Arce unit and Alvin has confirmed that Denafrips would have a new firmware possibly this week.

Regarding your I2S pin out issue between Arce and your PS Audio Directstream DAC, Denafrips should be in position to resolve this issue easily, since they have DDC products which are operated in I2S mode with the Directstream DAC.

Denafrips support via Vinshine Audio has always been stellar. Alvin will not let you down and will find a satisfactory solution to all your problems. If your unit’s problem cannot be resolved via a firmware upgrade, I am sure that Vinshine will replace your unit at no cost to you, as per their 30 day warranty clause.

LPBadge

Sep 19, 2023
Canada
I hope you are right, will be patient and see what happens.
It seems to be well built and sounds good through Roon, just want to have the two issues fixed as that is why I purchased it.

Reactions: Dasign

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
I hope you are right, will be patient and see what happens.
It seems to be well built and sounds good through Roon, just want to have the two issues fixed as that is why I purchased it.
Have you received Arce new firmware version SV03.00.20 which was released on September 22. It solves some, but not all of the stuttering issues. The USB/I2S button is now functional, so you can toggle USB and I2S outputs. I have contacted Alvin to understand what is the Denafrips action plan to solve remaining issues.

RHMMMM

Feb 29, 2020
Austin, TX
I have a Lumin U2 and a Terminator II 12th. Would love to sell the U2 if the Arce (…so many other names they could have chosen…) receives updates to fix the above mentioned issues. I’ll follow this thread.

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
Contacted Alvin last week regarding remaining stuttering issue. Denafrips should come up with another firmware version fixing remaining issues by the end of October. In the meantime, I’ve replaced stock power cord with my DYI Duelund AC power cord and replaced stock fuses with SR Purple fuses. Well the Arce responded positively to these upgrades. Even blacker background with an increase in bass solidity. Just love my Arce…

LPBadge

Sep 19, 2023
Canada
Have you received Arce new firmware version SV03.00.20 which was released on September 22. It solves some, but not all of the stuttering issues. The USB/I2S button is now functional, so you can toggle USB and I2S outputs. I have contacted Alvin to understand what is the Denafrips action plan to solve remaining issues.
I installed both of the latest firmware updates - it definitely helped with the stuttering issues but not completely resolved. Still no fix for PS Audio i2s issues, Alvin said Denafrips is working on it but not sure when that will be fixed.
I really wanted to connect it via i2s so hopefully they will get that resolved.
On a positive note, the Arce (really don't like that name) sounds fantastic.

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
Still waiting for a new firmware to solve stuttering issues using HQPlayer in DSD mode. This issue was to be resolved by Denafrips by end of October. Contacted Alvin last week on this subject and never received any reply to my e-mail. I am very happy with the audio quality of the Arce streamer.

The issue I have with Denafrips, is that they introduced a streamer which does not meet their published specifications, which indicates poor testing/quality control. They have the expertise to solve this and hope their streamer will eventually meet its published specifications.

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
hope their streamer will eventually meet its published specifications.
The question is WHEN?
The clients are the beta-testers.

Matt

Dasign

Mar 20, 2018
Denafrips has released a new Arce firmware (SV03.00.25) on October 29. HQPlayer DSD 256 modulator is now functional. However, there is still an issue with HQPlayer DSD512 modulator, which generates static noise.

Apparently Denafrips is aware of the issue and will provide a firmware solution to solve this. In the meantime, I am really enjoying the audio quality of the Arce in HQPlayer PCM modulator mode. IMHO, this Arce streamer will be a giant killer. Truly amazing!

DennisH

Jun 3, 2021
I am considering the Arce streamer for use with my MacBook Pro and Lampizator Baltic 4 DAC. Any update on the issues with the Arce and thoughts as to whether it would be good upgrade to my setup?

speakerlust

Mar 26, 2011
FYI, Lumin does not support modifying their units for SBooster. My understanding is not only will doing so void warranty, but that Lumin will not perform work on a unit that has been modified unless returned to factory configuration. I have read multiple posts from users who have praised the SBooster modification, but Lumin policy would be of concern to me for such a modification. It may be an acceptable risk for others though. I do have a Lumin X1 for several years and has been trouble-free for me.

jasond

Aug 18, 2022
Well of course LUMIN has to say this. But especially for the U2 Mini with einer Sbooster or even better Farad Super3 etc. there is a major improvement possible. There are also experts that specialize in upgrading even more parts like Dr. Gert Volk in Germany.

Ianderson

Mar 31, 2017
Can anyone provide an update as it been a while. Was there finally a resolution to the stuttering issue? The last reported firmware was (SV03.00.25), perhaps there is something newer that address all known issues?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing