Metronome Le Streamer

eagle33331

Nov 18, 2022
I recently wrote a review of the Metronome Le Dac 2, here. After getting a couple of hundred hours on it, my brilliant Tiverton-based dealer took possession of the just-launched, partnering Le Streamer - which I couldn't help but borrow for a few days for evaluation.

I'm normally given to flowery, detailed prose, but it's too damn hot and humid in southern UK right now (reminds me of Jacksonville in summer) so I'm going to keep this short and to the point - much like the few days I had to play with it.

I bought a used Matrix X-SPDIF with Sbooster just so I could try it out on the dac's i2s port. It shaved a degree of heat from leading edges (not that it was unusually bad to begin with, but usb at this level is, nonetheless, usb) without taking anything from detail and expansiveness which, once I'd heard it, made me an i2s convert. Le Streamer has i2s out and I was more keen to hear what difference it might make over the X-SPDIF in its file processing/delivery than its streaming service abilities. It was fed with my Melco files via a very basic ethernet cable.

The answer was immediately clear despite the unit having very few hours on it - very obviously superior imaging, bigger soundstage, smoother, more sophisticated mids and highs; more involvement. I've forgotten what happened in the bass department; which at least suggests nothing bad. Generally, I could say the effect was to make relaxed passages more relaxed without stealing anything from those tracks occupying a more raucous space. 'Refined' comes to mind. If I had more energy right now I'd effervesce; but I'm seriously overheating, so the best I can manage is a short, but deeply meaningful fizz. I didn't test it with files streamed from any of the online services as that's not, currently, my thing. So I regret I can't comment on its capability in this regard.

Be assured, Le Streamer takes Le Dac 2 to another level. Sound is more expansive, enveloping and reinforces the Metronome's analogueishness; imaging becomes spectacularly good; everything becomes even more natural, immersive and organic. My take-away is that I now think of Le Dac 2 as, ultimately, a 2-box solution served up in a way that enables you to get three quarters of the way down the track until budget allows you to finish the race - unless, of course, you can stump up the £6700 + £4800 right off the bat. The three quarters is still a heck of a strong performance level, especially if you can utilise the i2s input; it's just that Le Streamer takes you that much further. Save to say, it's next on my must-have list. Anyone want to buy a Canon CN7 cine lens?

Last edited:
Reactions: lordcloud

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks for sharing your experience in the heat. Ouch that price. Makes me wonder about alternatives. Playback Designs may have as good a DAC. Cheaper. And a reasonably good streamer, soon to try a Melco N series. Let’s see. You seem to have posed a benchmark. Actually I don’t mind cheating by using the DAC’s in my Audio Research Ref CD9 SE. It’s the best cd I’ve heard over anything at Munich HiFi shows. My opinion only. Keep your reviews and impressions coming.
Seasons greetings
John
Melbourne Australia

Reactions: eagle33331

eagle33331

Nov 18, 2022
Thanks for sharing your experience in the heat. Ouch that price. Makes me wonder about alternatives. Playback Designs may have as good a DAC. Cheaper. And a reasonably good streamer, soon to try a Melco N series. Let’s see. You seem to have posed a benchmark. Actually I don’t mind cheating by using the DAC’s in my Audio Research Ref CD9 SE. It’s the best cd I’ve heard over anything at Munich HiFi shows. My opinion only. Keep your reviews and impressions coming.
Seasons greetings
John
Melbourne Australia
Hey John, my daughter lives in Melbourne. I visited years ago and decided I could quite happily live there, too. What's 'good' and 'better', etc etc is all so subjective and dependent on so many different things, it comes down to only one in the end - personal preference. I found the MSB Discrete (with 2 x PSU) super refined and detailed but too sleepy for me and that's pushing £20k fully loaded. In that context, Metronome's prices look about right. No idea what Playback Designs' dacs sound like, but if they work for you and cost less, job done. I just like to share when I find something that really works for me and thanks for the positive feedback. Melco know what they're doing but I'd compare something similar from Innuos before pulling any triggers. Nuno has made giant strides with that Business and I like the built in CD ripper with some of their units; better than having to plug in a separate device. At their top end, the second half of this is a worthwhile watch. I wish I had the budget!

Brabus

Jun 17, 2023
France
I recently wrote a review of the Metronome Le Dac 2, here. After getting a couple of hundred hours on it, my brilliant Tiverton-based dealer took possession of the just-launched, partnering Le Streamer - which I couldn't help but borrow for a few days for evaluation.

I'm normally given to flowery, detailed prose, but it's too damn hot and humid in southern UK right now (reminds me of Jacksonville in summer) so I'm going to keep this short and to the point - much like the few days I had to play with it.

I bought a used Matrix X-SPDIF with Sbooster just so I could try it out on the dac's i2s port. It shaved a degree of heat from leading edges (not that it was unusually bad to begin with, but usb at this level is, nonetheless, usb) without taking anything from detail and expansiveness which, once I'd heard it, made me an i2s convert. Le Streamer has i2s out and I was more keen to hear what difference it might make over the X-SPDIF in its file processing/delivery than its streaming service abilities. It was fed with my Melco files via a very basic ethernet cable.

The answer was immediately clear despite the unit having very few hours on it - very obviously superior imaging, bigger soundstage, smoother, more sophisticated mids and highs; more involvement. I've forgotten what happened in the bass department; which at least suggests nothing bad. Generally, I could say the effect was to make relaxed passages more relaxed without stealing anything from those tracks occupying a more raucous space. 'Refined' comes to mind. If I had more energy right now I'd effervesce; but I'm seriously overheating, so the best I can manage is a short, but deeply meaningful fizz. I didn't test it with files streamed from any of the online services as that's not, currently, my thing. So I regret I can't comment on its capability in this regard.

Be assured, Le Streamer takes Le Dac 2 to another level. Sound is more expansive, enveloping and reinforces the Metronome's analogueishness; imaging becomes spectacularly good; everything becomes even more natural, immersive and organic. My take-away is that I now think of Le Dac 2 as, ultimately, a 2-box solution served up in a way that enables you to get three quarters of the way down the track until budget allows you to finish the race - unless, of course, you can stump up the £6700 + £4800 right off the bat. The three quarters is still a heck of a strong performance level, especially if you can utilise the i2s input; it's just that Le Streamer takes you that much further. Save to say, it's next on my must-have list. Anyone want to buy a Canon CN7 cine lens?
HI i have the métronome DSS streamer for 2 years now.
Clearly, il's a very good sounding streamer with more enjoyable and natural sound !
Before i was using many streamers like Auralic G1 , Lumin U1 mini and Innuos Zenith mk3.
Best regards

Reactions: eagle33331

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing