Deeply impressed with the new Hifi Rose RS130 streamer

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
I've just sold an Aqua LinQ, which was a real step up from a PSU modified Auralic G2, for the new Rose RS130.

I have to say that the sound quality is really eye opening. Extremely impressed.

It has a dedicated SFP port at the rear to isolate incoming ethernet copper.

I'm using it with a very very good quality external master clock (-118dBc @ 1Hz), so not an inexpensive combo, but if you want a state of the art front end, I highly recommend this combination. Stunning, simply stunning.

I also note that the accompanying app is also excellent, and extremely stable, and it also comes with a metal remote control which I find useful.

1000007213.jpg

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
Sure looks beautiful. Congrats

Tonari

Feb 18, 2023
Thank you for sharing.
I was thinking about either upgrading the power supply of my DIY server/streamer or go for the Lumin U2.
But then no so long ago I paid attention to this brand Rose Audio and thought I have to try it first before taking any decision.

Tonari

Feb 18, 2023
I'm using it with a very very good quality external master clock (-118dBc @ 1Hz), so not an inexpensive combo, but if you want a state of the art front end, I highly recommend this combination. Stunning, simply stunning.
How would you describe the difference with and without the external master clock?

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
How would you describe the difference with and without the external master clock?
Good question. My clock is 50 ohm sine, and using a high quality mini-circuits cable, I found a very audible improvement in naturalness, making it sound even less digital.

I always say that a mark of a good digital source (including dac) is how the upper keys of the piano sound. To my ears, the clock polishes out that last element of glare, making it sound almost completely analog.

Reactions: MRJAZZ and Tonari

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
Thank you for sharing.
I was thinking about either upgrading the power supply of my DIY server/streamer or go for the Lumin U2.
But then no so long ago I paid attention to this brand Rose Audio and thought I have to try it first before taking any decision.

I haven't hear the U2 but my dealer tells me the Rose is up there with the best he has heard (Grimm) so I doubt the U2 would be superior.

Great review here https://www.hifinews.com/content/hifi-rose-rs130-music-librarystreamer

Reactions: Tonari

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
I haven't hear the U2 but my dealer tells me the Rose is up there with the best he has heard (Grimm) so I doubt the U2 would be superior.

Great review here https://www.hifinews.com/content/hifi-rose-rs130-music-librarystreamer
According to the review, if you have a good DAC, expensive transports are not required:

'Finally, as on previous occasions, the onboard reclocking and full galvanic isolation offered by the dCS and Mytek DACs provides near-total suppression of any incoming jitter or noise on the USB or S/PDIF pathways. Very little difference in their inherent 5-10psec jitter was detected. Again, it's the more 'affordable' DACs that demonstrate the biggest uplift with the RS130.' PM

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
According to the review, if you have a good DAC, expensive transports are not required:

'Finally, as on previous occasions, the onboard reclocking and full galvanic isolation offered by the dCS and Mytek DACs provides near-total suppression of any incoming jitter or noise on the USB or S/PDIF pathways. Very little difference in their inherent 5-10psec jitter was detected. Again, it's the more 'affordable' DACs that demonstrate the biggest uplift with the RS130.' PM
Yes I read that. I used a Soekris-based dac and it uses FIFO reclocking, but I still hear an improvement vs my previous streamer.

Reactions: Rexp

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I've just sold an Aqua LinQ, which was a real step up from a PSU modified Auralic G2, for the new Rose RS130.

I have to say that the sound quality is really eye opening. Extremely impressed.
I have one as well. I’m very pleased with what I’m hearing. And for those who do Roon, the RS130 has just been Roon certified.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Any views on Roon vs Rose app? I have found Roon to mess up imaging and depth in the past.

Reactions: christoph

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I’m not a Roon guy myself, so I’m not sure. Coincidentally, though, my friends who use Roon say the latest update ”sounds better”, whatever that may mean.

Reactions: christoph

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
I have a NUC on my rack that I was running Audirvana with my LinQ and I'll install a trial of Roon for a test with the Rose, now it is certified.

Reactions: christoph and Rexp

latestyle

Dec 31, 2021
Any views on Roon vs Rose app? I have found Roon to mess up imaging and depth in the past.
The Rose app is execrable. I by far prefer Roon on RS130 & it was good timing that Roon was finally certified on RS130 right when I purchased it

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
Nothing whatsoever wrong with the rose app!? Does everything I need and it is extremely stable.

Reactions: Rexp

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

It has a dedicated SFP port at the rear to isolate incoming ethernet copper.

I also note that the accompanying app is also excellent, and extremely stable, and it also comes with a metal remote control which I find useful.

View attachment 120889
The Rose really outperforms the LinQ? Is that only in conjunction with the external clock? Which one is that?

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
The Rose really outperforms the LinQ? Is that only in conjunction with the external clock? Which one is that?
I'd suggest without the external clock that they are quite similar but I didn't do a serious comparison.

A high quality oxco does lift the sound for sure. My clock is self made using a -118dBc @ 1Hz unit.

Attachments

• PXL_20240103_141201263.jpg
    PXL_20240103_141201263.jpg
    949.5 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: harilyar and Rexp

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
I'd suggest without the external clock that they are quite similar but I didn't do a serious comparison.

A high quality oxco does lift the sound for sure. My clock is self made using a -118dBc @ 1Hz unit.
In your experience, what makes the biggest improvement in streamers?
1. Power supply
2. Ethernet/wifi optimization
3. Connection to DAC
4. External Clock

Nuforce

Jan 5, 2021
In your experience, what makes the biggest improvement in streamers?
1. Power supply
2. Ethernet/wifi optimization
3. Connection to DAC
4. External Clock
Good question. Unfortunately the answer, in my experience, is all the above.

I say unfortunately because getting streaming "right" can be a real challenge.

Firstly, what does good look like? In my experience, when digital sounds "right", that means that the upper keys of well recorded piano music sounds natural, same for cymbals.

When a part of the digital chain isn't optimised, then that's where the tell tell signs appear, like digital "ringing" and worse, those upper piano keys take on a "glassy" or "edgy" sound. It totally ruins the experience for me when that happens.

The power supply in digital is critical. I tested this for myself with a zen mini MK2 and I was surprised to hear differences with a good linear power supply Vs the factory wall plug. The Rose uses virtual battery super capacitor approach.

The connection to DAC is critical too. Cheap USB cables are the worse offender. USB generally should be avoided in lieu of AES ideally or coaxial in my experience.

A lot of folks use USB so they can upsample to DSD. Upsampling is usually a path to making the sound more "digital", don't bother.

The WiFi / ethernet is also important but less so in my experience. I also don't hear differences with WiFi Vs LAN. My current setup is X10 Nighthawk router set as a WAP, powered by 5A 19v power supply. Then SFP to my Rose.

One note on streamer connections, do not under any circumstances think that fibre media converters are a good idea unless you use high quality Cisco AOC or Finisar transceivers. I tried media converters with basic transceivers and the sound was totally ruined. Transceivers have a significant influence on sound believe it or not.

Finally, master clocks are least important I would argue. These are also a somewhat controversial topic. They have a subtle effect and need to be of a very low phase noise to improve anything over the internal clock. Clock cables also play a big part here and can make a master clock sound worse if the wrong type and or low quality cable is used.

Reactions: Tonari and tom539

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Good question. Unfortunately the answer, in my experience, is all the above.

I say unfortunately because getting streaming "right" can be a real challenge.

Firstly, what does good look like? In my experience, when digital sounds "right", that means that the upper keys of well recorded piano music sounds natural, same for cymbals.

When a part of the digital chain isn't optimised, then that's where the tell tell signs appear, like digital "ringing" and worse, those upper piano keys take on a "glassy" or "edgy" sound. It totally ruins the experience for me when that happens.

The power supply in digital is critical. I tested this for myself with a zen mini MK2 and I was surprised to hear differences with a good linear power supply Vs the factory wall plug. The Rose uses virtual battery super capacitor approach.

The connection to DAC is critical too. Cheap USB cables are the worse offender. USB generally should be avoided in lieu of AES ideally or coaxial in my experience.

A lot of folks use USB so they can upsample to DSD. Upsampling is usually a path to making the sound more "digital", don't bother.

The WiFi / ethernet is also important but less so in my experience. I also don't hear differences with WiFi Vs LAN. My current setup is X10 Nighthawk router set as a WAP, powered by 5A 19v power supply. Then SFP to my Rose.

One note on streamer connections, do not under any circumstances think that fibre media converters are a good idea unless you use high quality Cisco AOC or Finisar transceivers. I tried media converters with basic transceivers and the sound was totally ruined. Transceivers have a significant influence on sound believe it or not.

Finally, master clocks are least important I would argue. These are also a somewhat controversial topic. They have a subtle effect and need to be of a very low phase noise to improve anything over the internal clock. Clock cables also play a big part here and can make a master clock sound worse if the wrong type and or low quality cable is used.
Many thanks for the detailed answer!

MichaelHiFi

Jan 6, 2022
Good thread for me. The Rose 130SB should arrive tomorrow. Both my wife and I are excited about this purchase, doesn't happen often.

Now I have to outfit the Rose.

AES Cable from Rose to Allnic DAC.
Found a used Kimber AES cable TGDL for an affordable price. Silver seems an appropriate material for digital transmission. IDK, every cable possesses a different sound to our ears (and my wife has big ears).

Network. I have a provided CAT6 nearby, but I want to try the fiber port. The fiber run would go from my ZYXEL copper network switch which has fiber output ports, both 100gb and 1000gb. The run will be a *itch but would eliminate 2 CAT6 cable in the path. I like elimination..

I'm struggling to 'spec' the fiber cable (OS1, OS2, multimode vs single mode) and the SFP adapters. Any help with this?

Always used USB on the Allnic DAC for streaming but will switch to the forementioned AES.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing