DaVa FC-A1 a field coil contender

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
further comments from him:

“It has all the good things of all great carts in to one cart.
And without the negative things (so far).
I mean it has even more detail as the best VdH but without the edginess. It has the dynamics of the best carts but more. It’s crazy..
It has the tone of the red sparrow but even more bloom and speed.”

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ask Jeroen if it has the upper bass/lower midrange gravitas of the Epoch 3.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
further comments from him:

“It has all the good things of all great carts in to one cart.
And without the negative things (so far).
I mean it has even more detail as the best VdH but without the edginess. It has the dynamics of the best carts but more. It’s crazy..
It has the tone of the red sparrow but even more bloom and speed.”

Need to hear a video comparison with other cartridges on same table. Absent being able to hear such comparisons live, the video would help supplement the written description for a better understanding of the differences.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: XV-1

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ask Jeroen if it has the upper bass/lower midrange gravitas of the Epoch 3.
Errrm, no, because the question does not make sense to me. I am not asking if one cart does 10% or 5% of the whole frequency response well compared to another cartridge.

Are you asking if DaVa will suit your Leonard Cohen's chest better than the Grado, as well as orchestral weight?

Imo, DaVa does tick box of attributes - high, low, speed, dynamic range, inner nuance and inflections, macro dynamics better than any other cart. DS master audio is high resolution but unnatural compared to DaVa.

For me the focus is on Vyger Red Sparrow vs DaVa, because Vyger RS just tracks things better, presenting music as just there, compared to any pivot, most emotional by just getting into the music and just playing music as music is. After that, pivots sound like someone is reading a song rather than singing it. Or like Eric Clapton in studio vs Eric Clapton live. DaVa is a very different presentation to VYger RS but will it let me hear into the music more. It is more of an academic query as DaVa can go on a second arm for a pivot on a Vyger for the ultimate front end, or if funds do not permit, a restored idler at not much cost with DaVa will be a close second.

It also has to do with system synergy. Both Bill and I think Vyger RS is required ultimately for the Pnoe system (or I would say similarly for the Universum system). Personally my gut said for Jeroen's system as well, but I will know if I am correct only after I hear it. First impressions seem to suggest DaVa outstanding. For the Altec system, DaVa is probably a better choice. As well as for cone/planars, or those less into classical/jazz, and more rock, the DaVa does those with aplomb with the Red Sparrow is more limited to excelling on acoustical stuff.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Need to hear a video comparison with other cartridges on same table.

Currently there are 3 tables and 6 arms in play. https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/zero-distortion-vyger.35529/post-841804

The Vyger RS will stay put, as RS does not sound good at all on the pivots, and the DaVa is too heavy for the LT.

The vdh was preferred on the 3012r compared to the Elite by Jeroen (I did this compare as well) and Grado was preferred on the Elite compared to the 3012r by Jeroen.

Opus can go on any arm, but the RS won't be displaced from the linear tracker so the Opus usually plays on the Elite on the Dohman mk2.. One Elite is on Dohman and one is on AF3p.

He also has the Ikeda arm on the AF3p. The DaVa has started on the 3012r arm, and will also be tried on the Ikeda at some stage, as we know these two arms are a good fit. We do know if Elite is.

I already did video compares of Vyger RS vs Techdas AF3p with vdh on 3012r, where votes were overwhelmingly in favor of Vyger RS. I will get videos up of the DaVa on the Techdas at some stage, using either the 3012r or Ikeda. And I might additionally get Grado or Opus on Dohman.

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
DaVa across systems

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLv2XeIUgXk&t=23s

I don't have the YG compare or Mike's, will see after the weekend if I can upload what I was sent in a file a brilliant video of DaVa playing Michael Rabin on a Verity Lohengrin with EMT phono and Dartzeel electronics, Tosca arm.

To add to this list, here is a great video of Michael Rabin playing on a system with the DaVa on Durand Tosca and Dartzeel amps, EMT phono. Verity Lohengrin speakers. Artisan Fidelity 301, Kondo SUT. This was recorded by a mic connected to the mobile by the owner cmchan. I think this video is great. Verity are excellent speakers, underappreciated on this forum.

When you click, it seems to say video is not available, but if you hit download, it lets you download it and play. If you don't have a player for mp4 just download VLC it takes a few seconds to get going.

Reactions: kinch

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I heard a video Jeroen sent me with the initial set up yesterday. It was scarily good. I am not posting videos yet till a few more hours of burn in and till my visit, but this is an extract from our conversation today.

Me: I heard your video again. The music seems to grab me and lift me/rise through a longer distance due to much higher dynamic range.

Him: I agree, that’s really what is happening. And that together with a very balanced tonality. Nice that you can pick that up through video

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I heard a video Jeroen sent me with the initial set up yesterday. It was scarily good. I am not posting videos yet till a few more hours of burn in and till my visit, but this is an extract from our conversation today.

Me: I heard your video again. The music seems to grab me and lift me/rise through a longer distance due to much higher dynamic range.

Him: I agree, that’s really what is happening. And that together with a very balanced tonality. Nice that you can pick that up through video

Expect the laughing emojis.

Reactions: bonzo75

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Time to finally hear Marcs system and TT with your DaVa, he will call you when he is finished setting it up ! :p
Fake news. False alarm. Non starter.

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Did he buy the Saskia? If not...

Unfortunately it does not work on an LT, so his arm might "terminate" it.

Marc already said he loved the Dava when he heard it at Bill's, if I take it to him he might say he was wrong and it sucks
Oneno who has also run my Terminator arm says it's a non starter with his DaVa.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked believes so. Additionally my Terminator would need a counterweight from the local gym to accommodate the weight of the Dava.

Reactions: Lagonda and PeterA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Why is that? Does the DaVa not like LT arms?

an LT arm moves the assembly sideways. Dava is very heavy at 25g. Whether it is because of the sideways movement the arms are so designed, out just a coincidence, the current LT arms in the market do not prefer heavy carts. Mike didn’t therefore use it on CS, it is not recommended on vyger, and it is not that it works with all pivots but works in ikeda, Durand Tosca, Kuzma, 3012r, Dynavector, so far. Bill thought it didn’t work properly with SME V but it is great on Dynavector. Glanz probably works too.

Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
an LT arm moves the assembly sideways. Dava is very heavy at 25g. Whether it is because of the sideways movement the arms or so designed, out just a coincidence, the current LT arms in the market do not prefer heavy carts. Mike didn’t therefore use it on CS, it is not recommended on vyger, and it is not that it works in w all pivots but works in ikeda, Durand Tosca, Kuzma, 3012r, Dynavector, so far. Bill thought it didn’t work properly with SME V but it is great on Dynavector. Glanz probably works too.

I thought it might have more to do with the grounding of resonances. Most linear tracking arms have a break between the air tube and the arm mechanism. Vibrations have to be dealt with differently than in a typical pivoting arm with a bearing that drains those resonances into some base or structure.

if this cartridge puts out an extremely high amount of energy, I suspect the vibrations have to go somewhere. Just thinking out loud here. Heavy cartridges present a different challenge to some tonearm designs.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
an LT arm moves the assembly sideways. Dava is very heavy at 25g. Whether it is because of the sideways movement the arms are so designed, out just a coincidence, the current LT arms in the market do not prefer heavy carts. Mike didn’t therefore use it on CS, it is not recommended on vyger, and it is not that it works with all pivots but works in ikeda, Durand Tosca, Kuzma, 3012r, Dynavector, so far. Bill thought it didn’t work properly with SME V but it is great on Dynavector. Glanz probably works too.
The extra wires that have to move with the arm also give extra friction, most LT are already very sensitive to the one set of wires running to the cartridge, and changing tonarm wires to something different is a no-go on some arms.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The extra wires that have to move with the arm also give extra friction, most LT are already very sensitive to the one set of wires running to the cartridge, and changing tonarm wires to something different is a no-go on some arms.

yes those extra wires would be an issue too. But, if one really was convinced, they could get those wires built into the arm with special request and maybe that could help

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
yes those extra wires would be an issue too. But, if one really was convinced, they could get those wires built into the arm with special request and maybe that could help
Most LT's have the wires hanging of the end of the arm tube, they have to have play for the arm to move, you cannot relocate this piece of the wire to the inside of the arm tube. The field coil wires doubled up on this friction. 799E66EE-9D60-4EDA-BD3E-4D51ED8FE26A.jpeg

Reactions: bonzo75

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well apart from wanting loving the Dava and about to buy it, Jeroen is going to mount a pivot arm board on the vyger for the Dava so he can have it alongside the red sparrow on the LT. This will be good feedback to know how such a mounted pivot sounds compared to the same arm and cart combo on his Techdas.

Currently he was playing the Dava with the 3012r and has today moved it to the ikeda, both on the Techdas.

I am not giving any impressions yet until i get to hear.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Jeroen’s added an armboard himself to the vyger. Initially he was planning the 3012r, but now the ikeda will move there with the Dava. On the Techdas the ikeda was much preferred to the 3012r with the Dava, as I expected.

63486AAB-E78C-47E9-A51C-24CD490799DF.jpeg

Reactions: No Regrets

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing