DaVa FC-A1 a field coil contender

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I have had the DaVa on the FR64s and FR66s. I am going to try to get it on a Kuzma Sapphire soon.

Reactions: christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I have had the DaVa on the FR64s and FR66s. I am going to try to get it on a Kuzma Sapphire soon.

that will be very interesting. Was the FR 66s a big difference over the 64s for the Dava or more similar

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
that will be very interesting. Was the FR 66s a big difference over the 64s for the Dava or more similar
Honestly more of the same. I really like the FR arms. I fell into the 66 so that's why I have it. I would recommend those that are lusting for a 66s can stick with the 64s. This is one case where rarity and buzz took over. IMO.

I think what the DaVa does well will be incredibly and postively compounded by the Sapphire. The Sapphire requires you to change your mindset on what vinyl can do. Forceful, elegant, quiet, expansive.

I have not heard the SAT. Although my dealer who has sold through a Sapphire to a SAT owner - the user claims it is a matter of taste and that they are more similar than different. The user keeps both arms.

Back to DaVa...........

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
To add to this list, here is a great video of Michael Rabin playing on a system with the DaVa on Durand Tosca and Dartzeel amps, EMT phono. Verity Lohengrin speakers. Artisan Fidelity 301, Kondo SUT. This was recorded by a mic connected to the mobile by the owner cmchan. I think this video is great. Verity are excellent speakers, underappreciated on this forum.

When you click, it seems to say video is not available, but if you hit download, it lets you download it and play. If you don't have a player for mp4 just download VLC it takes a few seconds to get going.

Dava does Jazz on Cessaro Zeta

Dava, Beethoven's Violin Concerto

djsina2

May 30, 2019
New DaVa Ref and tube PSU on usaudiomart if anyone needs a quick fix. Not affiliated.

Apr 24, 2023
CT
treehausaudiolab.com
Honestly more of the same. I really like the FR arms. I fell into the 66 so that's why I have it. I would recommend those that are lusting for a 66s can stick with the 64s. This is one case where rarity and buzz took over. IMO.

I think what the DaVa does well will be incredibly and postively compounded by the Sapphire. The Sapphire requires you to change your mindset on what vinyl can do. Forceful, elegant, quiet, expansive.

I have not heard the SAT. Although my dealer who has sold through a Sapphire to a SAT owner - the user claims it is a matter of taste and that they are more similar than different. The user keeps both arms.

Back to DaVa...........

I have the DaVa on an FR64S as well (with an Orsonic head shell) Its been a nice combination, that cart is energetic yet liquidity at the same time. The whole thing is on a Microseiki BL91. I have a custom 16" EMT arm made by Bokrand along with the 2 extra FC wires internal to the arm for the DaVa but building a table around it has been on the back burner because the Micro/ FR64S combo is so nice and its easy to setup.

I am not sure you have seen this, but AnalogMagik offers restoration and FR64 to FR66 upgrades:

I was tempted to convert mine to the 66.. but given what you posted that might have ended up more of a vanity project than a performance gain.

My only real quibbles with the DaVa is for some reason it picks up a lot more lint than anything else Ive ever used, and the stylus is so recessed it is sometimes a bit hard to drop it right where you'd like. I wish he put a little marker line on the front of it.

EDIT: I should add I am powering it with a NiCd battery pack. I got it with the basic linear supply he provides and was going to make a tube-rectified supply but the battery seems to be working quite nicely. The cart itself doesnt draw much current so the D-cell based pack I have will run it for 30+ hours straight before needing a recharge. (*supposedly* NiCd is the cleanest battery DC source compared to other battery types)

Reactions: bonzo75 and Solypsa

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
The fr64s sure is a 'budget' winner. Wont be letting mine go :)

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
Svartskog, Greater Oslo, Norway

crosswind

Jun 6, 2021
Svartskog, Greater Oslo, Norway
I am very curious as to how much better it could get with a restore. Audiomagik has some good points about the greases drying out, the brittleness of the internal wiring, etc but it doesn't seem like my arm has any acute issues.

I am very curious too and I just asked on a norwegian forum if anyone had any experience with the upgrade analogmagik offers the 64s.

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
The upgrade to better wire & bearings on the 64s and 66 is well worth it I have had it done. I originally did not think it would make a difference. Rick Mak insisted it would and he was correct.

Rick is a founding member of our GTAA audio club.

Reactions: crosswind

Kcin

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
Canada
I have the DaVa on an FR64S as well (with an Orsonic head shell) Its been a nice combination, that cart is energetic yet liquidity at the same time. The whole thing is on a Microseiki BL91. I have a custom 16" EMT arm made by Bokrand along with the 2 extra FC wires internal to the arm for the DaVa but building a table around it has been on the back burner because the Micro/ FR64S combo is so nice and its easy to setup.

I am not sure you have seen this, but AnalogMagik offers restoration and FR64 to FR66 upgrades:

I was tempted to convert mine to the 66.. but given what you posted that might have ended up more of a vanity project than a performance gain.

My only real quibbles with the DaVa is for some reason it picks up a lot more lint than anything else Ive ever used, and the stylus is so recessed it is sometimes a bit hard to drop it right where you'd like. I wish he put a little marker line on the front of it.

EDIT: I should add I am powering it with a NiCd battery pack. I got it with the basic linear supply he provides and was going to make a tube-rectified supply but the battery seems to be working quite nicely. The cart itself doesnt draw much current so the D-cell based pack I have will run it for 30+ hours straight before needing a recharge. (*supposedly* NiCd is the cleanest battery DC source compared to other battery types)
Interesting on the battery pack - can you share what specifically your are using?

Apr 24, 2023
CT
treehausaudiolab.com
Interesting on the battery pack - can you share what specifically your are using?
First, thank you for the firsthand info on the FR64/6 restore.. now I'm tempted again!..

As to the battery pack:
I ordered SL-DD10R2WRO (12V/5Ah) and CH-UN180 (charger) from batteryspace.com. It still sort of roughly made up mounted on a piece of ply with a vintage 15V gauge on it.

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    999.4 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: Kcin

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just to let everyone know Dava has started taking orders from today (orders were closed from last October till now), delivery date is now November

contact service@cartridgeretip.com

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2021
My initial impressions are nothing but, positive. Warm, liquid, with great bass, soundstage and it's not even run in.
The DAVA is also, the left brain equivalent to my right brain Ortofon MC Diamond. Both of these spectacular cartridges easily put you in your happy place. I need to mount my Tzar SPU DST on another Glanz and have a listen.

Attachments

• 67487837-5B17-4F6E-9CCB-C0098E6E8454.jpeg
    67487837-5B17-4F6E-9CCB-C0098E6E8454.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 23

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My initial impressions are nothing but, positive. Warm, liquid, with great bass, soundstage and it's not even run in.
The DAVA is also, the left brain equivalent to my right brain Ortofon MC Diamond. Both of these spectacular cartridges easily put you in your happy place. I need to mount my Tzar SPU DST on another Glanz and have a listen.

I know the Tzar DST, what is the Tzar SPU DST? Or is it the same?

Nov 3, 2021
I know the Tzar DST, what is the Tzar SPU DST? Or is it the same?
The SPU version is the heaviest of the 3 and employs the most ebony and brass. As far as its voice, the SPU has the greatest range, dynamics, soundstage and tonal balance.

Attachments

• 0A0BA8BA-A87E-4F5F-9E54-50C3BD1790BC.jpeg
    0A0BA8BA-A87E-4F5F-9E54-50C3BD1790BC.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: Ed.P and bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing