DAC Options

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Coinsidering upgrading from my original Auralic Vega DAC. My budget is $5K which can be for a preowned or new DAC. I run Roon Rock on an intel Nuc and Quobuz streaming. My system electronics are CJ ET5 and P12's. Advice is appreciated. Thank You

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Lampizator Amber 4. They like Q. I am not sure aboit Roon compatibility.

Reactions: jimbones

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Yea my concern is that there are so many choices, yet many probably sound very similar to each other. kind of like "me too". Looking for that DAC thats a standout in it price range. Arent we all looking for that ha ha.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Surpringly they are all different.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Metronome le dac used 3-4k€ very musical metronome-le-dac-d-a-wandler-16.jpg

Reactions: Scott Naylor

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Too many good dac in the market.

Need to focus first :
1. Tube vs SS.
2. Delta-sigma vs Resistor Array vs others.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Too many good dac in the market.

Need to focus first :
1. Tube vs SS.
2. Delta-sigma vs Resistor Array vs others.
thats what I was thinking. Also, is my Vega long in the tooth SQ wise? or is it still competitive?
I'd like to stay with SS but have to admit my tube stuff is better than my SS stuff. I like an organic sound without hard "edge". I presume that would mean R2R?

Republicoftexas69

LessLoss Echo Edge DAC. This is my endgame DAC.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I would look at the Weiss but I would also look at the Aqua DACs and the Benchmark DAC 3.

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
Weiss new dac is around $2430

You can also add external linear PSU

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
While you can improve your sound considerably with a new Dac in that price range, I’d recommend dealing with your network and streaming solution first. The Silent Angel line has an array of products that can make that Vega sound like a new Dac and remove some bottlenecks should you decide to upgrade later on.

Reactions: Republicoftexas69

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
interesting options thanks Im researching!!

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Bricasti M3 is outstanding, and can be configured with a very high quality headphone amplifier too.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Bricasti M3 is outstanding, and can be configured with a very high quality headphone amplifier too.
The Bricasti was on my list as well as the Weiss.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
If you can't decide between tubes vs solid-state, our iDSD PRO Signature has both :) You can select your flavour of the day easily! Oh, and it features a pretty good headphone amplifier if that is something you might use.
I prefer to stay SS on the DAC. I have tube power amps and Preamp. I purposely bought the CXJ ET5 cause it has only one tube. I want reliability and repeatability. I wont exclude tube just yet until I hear one (lampi)

Reactions: 7ryder

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I prefer to stay SS on the DAC. I have tube power amps and Preamp. I purposely bought the CXJ ET5 cause it has only one tube. I want reliability and repeatability. I wont exclude tube just yet until I hear one (lampi)
Understandable, that is a significant investment we are talking about. We know that is crucial at this level of performance. That's why we are housing the finest 5670 NOS tubes from General Electric. They are burned-in and tested before they end up in our products. Thanks to that, we can promise reliability to those who decide to trust in our equipment :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing