considerations for new SS amp

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
I currently use a pair of CJ Premiere 12 which I love. However I am looking to add an amp to my stable. I am considering Class D or some other variant but the amp must be fairly lightweight (30 lbs?) as I have had back surgeries and I would like it to run cool. NY summers are brutal with tube amps. I know there are quite a few brands out there but how to know which are good and which are posers? Theres NORD, Appolon, VTV, AGD, LSA, Merrill, Atmasphere, Rowland, NAD, Benchmark etc. I am not looking for squeaky clean scrubbed sound as you can tell from my CJ's. I would like150 watts (my DIY speakers are 88db) and I use a Rogue RP7 Pre. I'll consider and actually prefer preowned and my budget is $5k (flexible). Thanks for your advice...

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Not on your list but worth considering is the Burson Timekeeper amplifiers. They produce 240 watts into 8 ohms in bridged mode. While my knowledge of them is limited, Burson appears to be a solid company with a good reputation for sound and solid non-digital amplifiers. I have always gotten good results combining a tube pre-for warmth and a strong SS Best for control and dynamics.

Best of luck with your search.

https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/timekeeper/

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
@gleeds I would not consider a product from Australia. Last time I had a Burson I needed a replacement board it took like 4 months to get it sorted out. (This was long before the pandemic) I don't have anything against the company per se, just to far around the globe lol!

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Based on your desired presentation, GaN based designs should be a good fit. On top of some of the brands you mention, Orchard and Underwood LSA also offer options at a lower price point.

Mr Peabody

Oct 9, 2022
Merrill is very neutral, about opposite of what you have now. Some of his discontinued monoblocks are a steal used. The new stuff is crazy expensive IMO.

I would recommend a listen to the Bel Canto, E1X stereo power amp. It runs about $6k new. I auditioned one and it was quite a departure from past BC amps I've heard. It was toward the warm side and nice to listen to. I think you might like it from reading your post. I actually had it in my own system. At the end of the day it didn't make me want to replace my current Levinson but I was really impressed, and, I hate to say this, especially being Class D. 250x2 into 8 ohms, about 18 lbs.

You'll have to check weight but ATI makes great amps. They aren't on most peoples radar. They do have a Class D series, two levels, either would meet your budget.

Atoll has a nice sounding stereo amp that retails around $4k and surprisingly good performance at that price

I really think that Bel Canto E1X is what you are looking for.

Reactions: jimbones

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Merrill is very neutral, about opposite of what you have now. Some of his discontinued monoblocks are a steal used. The new stuff is crazy expensive IMO.

I would recommend a listen to the Bel Canto, E1X stereo power amp. It runs about $6k new. I auditioned one and it was quite a departure from past BC amps I've heard. It was toward the warm side and nice to listen to. I think you might like it from reading your post. I actually had it in my own system. At the end of the day it didn't make me want to replace my current Levinson but I was really impressed, and, I hate to say this, especially being Class D. 250x2 into 8 ohms, about 18 lbs.

You'll have to check weight but ATI makes great amps. They aren't on most peoples radar. They do have a Class D series, two levels, either would meet your budget.

Atoll has a nice sounding stereo amp that retails around $4k and surprisingly good performance at that price

I really think that Bel Canto E1X is what you are looking for.
Thanks so much for your response. Yes I gather that the Merrill might be a bit too much the other way. I listened to Peachtree Gan400- today. The rest of the guys system wasn't all the great so it was hard to judge. I seemed warm. certainly no glare at all. Didn't seem to have a lot of power for a 400 watt amp but he was driving Maggie 1.7i. I will certainly consider the E1X

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Based on your observations I would shy away from digital, albeit Bel Canto with the Hypex Ncore modules is likely the best of the lot.The Benchmark amplifier would be my go to for neutrality, dynamics and control offered by the best Class AB SS amplifiers at an approachable price.

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Based on your observations I would shy away from digital, albeit Bel Canto with the Hypex Ncore modules is likely the best of the lot.The Benchmark amplifier would be my go to for neutrality, dynamics and control offered by the best Class AB SS amplifiers at an approachable price.
Hi, E1X is not easy to find on the used market but is at the top of my range. Just curious how the Peachtree Gan400 would compare. Also is there a big step between the BC Ref600m and the E1x performance wise??

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Besides the GaN amps from Technics, which I recommend highly have you looked into Enelum or Bakoon? Both lightweight amps and the Enelum sounds very good. ever heard a Bakoon but I believe Enelum and Bakoon share DNA.

Beau

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Besides the GaN amps from Technics, which I recommend highly have you looked into Enelum or Bakoon? Both lightweight amps and the Enelum sounds very good. ever heard a Bakoon but I believe Enelum and Bakoon share DNA.

Beau
I just looked them up they are 20K so they are over my budget. Thanks. I should also state that I prefer to do business with a US company and not a fly by night in case I need service in the future.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I currently use a pair of CJ Premiere 12 which I love. However I am looking to add an amp to my stable. I am considering Class D or some other variant but the amp must be fairly lightweight (30 lbs?) as I have had back surgeries and I would like it to run cool. NY summers are brutal with tube amps. I know there are quite a few brands out there but how to know which are good and which are posers? Theres NORD, Appolon, VTV, AGD, LSA, Merrill, Atmasphere, Rowland, NAD, Benchmark etc. I am not looking for squeaky clean scrubbed sound as you can tell from my CJ's. I would like150 watts (my DIY speakers are 88db) and I use a Rogue RP7 Pre. I'll consider and actually prefer preowned and my budget is $5k (flexible). Thanks for your advice...
3 years ago I decided to move from tube to SS amplification for a number of reasons.

I bought (now or used) 6 amps and borrowed another 6 from dealers. These included amps from Mark Levinson, Sugden, Accuphase, Benchmark, Bakoon, Valvet, GamuT, Micromega, Quad, Lyngdorf, NAD and others. So Class A, AB and D. I had each at home for at least a week, powering my Avantgarde speakers. I wanted as good or better sound than I was getting from my SET amps, most recently from 845 monos.

I was expecting one of the Class A to seduce me, but surprise, surprise - in the end I chose the Class D NAD M32, later upgraded to the even better Purifi Eligentakt-based M33. Still very content with its sound quality and fantastic value.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
I just looked them up they are 20K so they are over my budget. Thanks. I should also state that I prefer to do business with a US company and not a fly by night in case I need service in the future.
Just as an FYI the Enelum is just above $6K. Steve Guttenberg has a video that mentions this but I believe the company is based in the USA. Amps may be assembled in Korea. There are plenty of others to choose from, especially used in that range. Good luck with the search.

Beau

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
I have a NAD M33 in the house, I dont really like it. I like the idea of the Bel Canto and possibly the peachtree

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Have you ever spoken with Jeff Fischel (owner of CJ now) about upgrading your CJ Premier 12s? He is super responsive and helpful. And CJ generally does upgrade older amps using latest designs from their current flagship range.

Your Premier 12s are fantastic amps...and I can think of no one better qualified to add further magic to your amps than CJ! CJ and Jeff in particular has done some truly wonderful things with CJ in the last 3 decades or so since the CJ Premier 12s. No, that probably wont help in the heat area...but boy, I can imagine for not much more money...you could have deliriously amazing magic...

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany

listen if possible is a surprise for me. really good in the budget

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
Based on your observations I would shy away from digital, albeit Bel Canto with the Hypex Ncore modules is likely the best of the lot.
I might be wrong but I do not believe a Class D amp is 'digital' if that is what you were implying. Rather it is referred to as a switching amplifier.

Given the Op's approval with regards to his pre-amp why not look at what Mark and the boys @ Rogue have to offer ?

jimbones

Sep 1, 2018
Have you ever spoken with Jeff Fischel (owner of CJ now) about upgrading your CJ Premier 12s? He is super responsive and helpful. And CJ generally does upgrade older amps using latest designs from their current flagship range.

Your Premier 12s are fantastic amps...and I can think of no one better qualified to add further magic to your amps than CJ! CJ and Jeff in particular has done some truly wonderful things with CJ in the last 3 decades or so since the CJ Premier 12s. No, that probably wont help in the heat area...but boy, I can imagine for not much more money...you could have deliriously amazing magic...
I absolutely LOVE my Premiere 12's. I am looking for an additional amp especially for the summer that runs cool and is lightweight. I had surgeries so I cant lift heavy amps and the rook it too hot with tubes in the summer

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing