Custom dedicated audio room owners unite!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
...I have a three position recliner.
1) Normal/upright chair. Suitable for scrunched-forward and/or hunched-over audiophile-intense listening. The least fun option.
2) Foot-rest kicks up, and back tilts a wee bit. Invaluable for whiskey-augmented listening. Most fun option.
3) Full-kip position. Almost horizontal. Best utilized when no interruptions are forecasted from Sweetie or the dog. Often engaged shortly after "augmented" listening segment (see #2 above). While not perfectly optimized for SQ, sound is still excellent, and the resultant restive delirium more than makes up for the slight reduction in high-frequency reception. Most transcendental option. Highly recommended!
I’m not a fan of recliners. Leaning back to listen for me is abnormal plus the back of the chair rises above shoulder level. You don’t know what you’re missing until you listen with a chair where the back never is above shoulder level

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
You don’t know what you’re missing until you listen with a chair where the back never is above shoulder level
...position 1 is a "normal" chair. And is below shoulder height. I looked for a recliner that was normal when not reclined...because I know exactly what I'm missing if I have a surface immediately behind my head/ears! A photo would have revealed that, but I am not at home. Agree: no headrest is best, IMO.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Excellent choice of Eames replica ? … we have a pair coming hopefully during March
No replica's around here! I collect midcentury furniture as well as records. In the picture is a 1975 Herman Miller Eames Rosewood chair, the rest of the pieces are from Knoll.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I suspected that they were period originals … A man of discerning taste :cool:
That chair always reminds me of Gayle Sanders listening room, and Martin Logan advertising ! :) 8947E0B3-4199-4B38-AFAB-E907881AB022.jpeg

Apk99 delete

Nov 8, 2021
My room is more of a dedicated "music living room" than a dedicated audio room.
Beautiful space and I love this term "music living room'. My family are all musically inclined and listening is something we do together often. I do greatly admire these dedicated audio rooms for thier singular vision, but the "living" room aspect is deeply ingrained in my listening pleasure...

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I’m not a fan of recliners. Leaning back to listen for me is abnormal plus the back of the chair rises above shoulder level. You don’t know what you’re missing until you listen with a chair where the back never is above shoulder level
Agree 100%

lordcloud

Jul 5, 2016
Round Rock, Texas
Hi Steve,
Thats almost same dimensions as my room..
8.6x5.6x3.2m .. I focussed on keeping noise out and in with solid concrete filled blockwork , doubly glazing and dense ceiling. No internal linings as these could be be unpredicatable membrane absorbers .. I get about 25db ambient except when a harely goes past or rain belts down.
Acoustic treatments are applied in median plane ( 600 to 1800mm high ) .. baffles on ceiling and corner bass traps
It is a fantastic room .. a listening lab my acoustic engineer buddy calls it !

If doing again I would pay more attention to the builders work in acoustic sealing of joints between materials ( walls and ceilings) and I would perhaps hang ceiling (https://durrapanel.com/?gclid=CjwKC...1ENAePmiIpHC2GYPbZZvOKJ860rIvEIhoCzhkQAvD_BwE)
Off resilient hangers to minimize structure born sound from the roof
The raytrace on thr armoc site mentioned by sbnx is also a great tool
I have speakers on long wall .. I believe you get a better result with first reflections thus a ckearer phantom image with that setup

Cheers
Phil View attachment 104413
I would love to see more pictures of your room!

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
  • Haha
Reactions: Bobvin

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I think that we would all be curious to view your own state of the art listening room Kedar ? ….. Oh what am I saying :p
Ked lives in the proverbial glass house, and likes to trow stones quite a bit ! One of the reasons he is a horn guy, too much reflection ! ;)

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Beautiful chairs. Congrats!
Most kind Audire … If one simply cannot source the original thing like Jeff these were the closest to them , materials and build quality wise that we could find and may become quite sought after in their own right in the future .

Last edited:
Reactions: Johan K and Audire

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Don’t you get a lot of rear wall reflections with your ears so close to rear wall

A bit of acoustic trivia Stevie, if you are positioned less than the circumference of your head from the wall, the reflections are imperceptible. Outside of that ........ :) ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing