Contenders for Best Tube Integrated Amp? Only the best elements of tube sound!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi Keith,

Please share. I think TAS had it on their cover a few months ago. Curious to know how much toobiness Jadis maintains in the modern age. Thanks!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Sure, caesar. I demo'd the I35, not the DA88S (as lesser complicated amps usually sound better). The I35 definitely won't ever be mistaken for SS (thankfully)- in fact, i haven't heard KT120s ever sound as good. I listened to the unit on Spendor D7s, which I've only heard once before and don't have any real low end. My first thought after warm up was that you can listen to the I35 for days....soundstage and in particular instruments in space were very, very good. Ever hear "wiry" strings on a digital amp? This was the opposite (and correct I feel). Treble was "sweet", but not as extended as my Dart (nothing really is) but in character with the amp. The amp had excellent flow, but enough leading edge to provide the right microdynamics and overall sounded quite lively- i was surprised how it liked to boogie on electronica. Midrange had good tonal density, but didn't overdo it (ie. Cary). All in all, definitely one of the more musical demos I've heard and obviously the build quality is stunning. As far as comparisons to Jadis of old? All reports are that they are more objective, but clearly don't lose that bit of warmth.

butler

Mar 26, 2013
Hi Keith, thanks for the interesting comments on the Jadis I35. I'm hoping to get to California to listen to the new I50 with KT150's in a few months (Brooks Berdan Audio). This amp sounded great at the Newport show, also with Spendor........did you happen to see/hear this one in passing? Have a feeling that it may be a real sleeper.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Hi Keith, thanks for the interesting comments on the Jadis I35. I'm hoping to get to California to listen to the new I50 with KT150's in a few months (Brooks Berdan Audio). This amp sounded great at the Newport show, also with Spendor........did you happen to see/hear this one in passing? Have a feeling that it may be a real sleeper.

They offered (at Brooks Berdan), but I declined since KT150s aren't my kind of tube (no rolling). I did hear the demo at Newport and like you was very impressed.

jep123

VIP/Donor
Dec 23, 2012
Norway
The new Absolare integrated might be the best out there. We used it one weekend with Kaiser speakers, outstanding in every possible way. A great achievment, no less!

Believe High Fidelity

[Industry Expert]
Nov 19, 2015
Hutto TX
ibelieveinhifi.com
I would be interested to hear whether someone has experience with the Aries Cerat Diana.

I have had intimate experience with this integrated and many others listed here. We will be at CES this year, but not with the Diana. You can still voice the best they have to offer to understand what the Diana can do

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
This Absolare integrated is a real beauty.
I would like recommend - at least as a perfect match for Avantgarde Duo series - an integrated Ayon Crossfire made with a more powerful kind of 300 B . Ayon makes it in Czech Republic and call it A 62 B . They are declared 30 W and imo that is much better than standard 8 W from 300 B.
One cannot buy A62B outside of Ayon distribution network.

I have the third iteration of Crossfire , have heard many tube and ss amps in my setup and Ayon is for me still the best integrated.
I read at CA that CEO of Shunyata , Mr Caelin Gabriel uses Crossfire in his reference setup for files playback.

Attachments

• DSC_3424.jpg
    DSC_3424.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,429
Last edited:

4music

Apr 15, 2013
Absolare Integrated vs Ypsilon Phaethon Integrated? Anybody has experience with both these units? Look similar from spec point of view. Heard the Phaethon in my system which sounded superb, but willing to explore the Absolare option.
Thanks, Tim

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Sansui AU-111 circa 1966 :D Of course not, however I still enjoy Its Harmonically rich presentation.

image.jpeg

Reactions: paolo

George K

Jul 26, 2012
Absolare Integrated vs Ypsilon Phaethon Integrated? Anybody has experience with both these units? Look similar from spec point of view. Heard the Phaethon in my system which sounded superb, but willing to explore the Absolare option.
Thanks, Tim

Hello Tim; I happened to listen the Ypsilon Phaethon vs the latest Viva Audio Solista and to my ears Solista won hands down.
The other 2 friends attending concurred with my findings. So does my friend Nick who bought it.

Never heard the Absolare integrated, while I've heard the Absoalre separates. For me there's nothing like true single ended and Viva is a champ on that playground.

Viva Audio Solista (latest edition mk3 or something) is a well kept secret in audio. Viva is an exotic brand with no such thing as public relations and magazines hype. But their sound shines.

slcaudiophile

Nov 6, 2014
Um ... SLC?
Hello Tim; I happened to listen the Ypsilon Phaethon vs the latest Viva Audio Solista and to my ears Solista won hands down.
The other 2 friends attending concurred with my findings. So does my friend Nick who bought it.

Never heard the Absolare integrated, while I've heard the Absoalre separates. For me there's nothing like true single ended and Viva is a champ on that playground.

Viva Audio Solista (latest edition mk3 or something) is a well kept secret in audio. Viva is an exotic brand with no such thing as public relations and magazines hype. But their sound shines.

what speakers where you using?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing