First Impressions of the KT-120 Tube

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Got my K120's today.

Verdict:

Shocking improvement. All the hype is warranted. And I HATE hype..lol.

Bass, midrange transparency...hard to believe it could improve this much.

An order for a second set will be placed tonight. That is how good they are.

Any one interested in a brand new quad of Winged C SED 6550s'? Never installed. Zero hours.

By default, this will also have to serve as first impressions of my ARC VS115 amp as I have heard neither the KT-120 tubes nor the ARC VS115 prior to purchasing the ARC VS115. First of all, I’m quite familiar with the sound of the venerable 6550 output tube as I have owned more than a few tube amps over the years that used 6550s. Those amps would include the ARC D-76, D-76A, D-70 MKII, D-79, VT-100 MKII, Jadis Defy 7 MKII, Quicksilver V4s, and a pair of monoblock amps I built from scratch some years ago based on the Dyna MKIII circuit.

6550 tubes have a reputation for punchy bass, especially in comparison to the widely used EL-34. If we consider the KT-88 to be a first cousin of the 6550, there is a strong family resemblance in the bass department. The best bass I have heard from a KT-88 tube was when I was using real honest to goodness NOS GEC KT-88 tubes. Those tubes are in a class by themselves and modern day KT-88s don’t compare in sound quality from top to bottom IMO.

So now at this late point in tube audio history, we have a new output tube that was brought to market under the Tung Sol brand, and that would be the KT-120. The KT-120 is a much beefier tube than the 6550/KT-88 family with much greater plate dissipation capability. In a relatively short period of time, both Conrad Johnson and ARC have abandoned the 6550 in favor of the new KT-120. In order to take full advantage of the greater output power potential of the KT-120, new output transformers and power transformers had to be wound. People who are using the KT-120 tube in amps designed for 6550/KT-88 tubes aren’t going to increase their output power over their stock rated power. What you will gain is the sound of the KT-120 tube. My ARC VS115 was designed for the 6550, so I’m not extracting the full capabilities of this tube at least with regards to potential output power.

If 6550s are known for bass punch, KT-120 tubes should be known for bass slam. Used in the ARC VS115, I don’t think I have ever heard a tube amp with this kind of bass punch. Much to my surprise, I actually had to dial down the bass on my four subs, it was simply too much. You would think that coming from the Krell KSA-250 that the opposite would be true. If you play back a recording that has lots of bass encoded in it, the KT-120 is going to play that bass for you. You will hear how well or how poorly the bass was recorded.

For an example of bass that I think is slightly over-cooked, listen to any cut from the Happy Coat album by Shota Osabe. I love this album by the way as I find the music to be soothing and therefore relaxing. I love the sound they captured of the piano. As for the bass, I would classify this as more mid-bass than low bass as you are basically hearing an acoustic bass. If you have any problems with bass muddiness, driver overhang, etc., this recording will bring them all out in a heartbeat. Even though I find the bass to be a bit overblown, it still should sound really good in terms of quality. You may also find that it will set things in your room to rattling as well. The KSA-250 never failed to put a smile on my face when listening to this album and the VS115/KT-120 combo hasn’t either. The KSA-250 excels in the bass/mid-bass department, but the VS115/KT-120 combo held its ground. Also, if you don’t hear lots of bass from this recording, something is amiss with your system.

Compared to my KSA-250, the VS115/KT-120 combo also has more inner detail and you can hear further into the mix than I could with the KSA-250. Maybe some of that was due to the damn hum that I have talked about numerous times in my Krell Saga thread. And yes, the ARC VS115 is super quiet. I absolutely love having a very low noise floor and after years of being way too tolerant of noise and hum issues, I have lost all patience for them now.

My preliminary feeling is that we have a sonic winner with the new KT-120 tube. I think it sets new standards in bass capability when compared to the 6550 and the rest of the KT family. I have heard nothing amiss in the mids or high frequencies which would lead me to question this tube’s capabilities across the audio band. I’m still coming to terms with it, but I like what I hear so far.

As for the VS115, the only nit I’m going to pick for the here and now is the bias scheme which seems to be a recurring theme with many ARC amps. Although the bias scheme for the VS115 amp is way more user friendly than say the ridiculous VT-100 series of amps, it brought back shades of my Jadis Defy 7 MKII. Except for cost, I don’t know why ARC chose to have only one bias pot for each pair of output tubes instead of using two pots so you could set each tube exactly to the correct bias. This was a similar scheme to what the Jadis used, except the Jadis had 3 tubes per bias pot and you were setting an average bias across the three tubes. Now you are setting the average of two tubes. But unlike the Jadis, at least you don’t have to turn a 100 lb amp on its side, remove the bottom plate, and probe its innards with your meter in order to set the bias. The VS115 has all bias jacks on the rear panel. You do have to perform a little fishing with the bias tool that ARC provides as the bias pot is recessed under the top plate opening and the bias pot is very small and so is the bias tool.

That’s it for now.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Glad you like them Andre. I tried not to hype them, just tell the truth as I hear it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Andre,

Hype them. I think they deserve it ... :)

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Andre, good to hear that you like the KT120's so much.
I did notice that you say your 6550's were running in your system for 4 years straight, which brings me to my question....I wonder how a fresh pair of winged 6550's would sound compared to the KT120's. If it's not too much trouble, you could swap in the new 6550's and see, might make a good write up.:)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Hey:

The 6550s that were in my amp had around 750 hours in them.

Unfortunately I cannot put in any new ones to compare, as I just sold my SED 6550s.

I can tell you the K120s are superior in every conceivable way.

Andre, good to hear that you like the KT120's so much.
I did notice that you say your 6550's were running in your system for 4 years straight, which brings me to my question....I wonder how a fresh pair of winged 6550's would sound compared to the KT120's. If it's not too much trouble, you could swap in the new 6550's and see, might make a good write up.:)

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Not sure that I agree with you. cj moved to the KT120 tube because of reliability, longetivity and sound [note neither VTL or VAC have switched over!]. Lew feels that being that these new KT120s are run far more conservatively in their circuit than the 6550, the new tubes should have a longer lifespan. And at $1600 for a replacement set, I wouldn't mind getting an extra year or two or three out them! He also felt that the KT120 wasn't earthshattering better than the 6550, but it was better sonically (and in fact, when I was in the process of retubing, Lew called me and strongly urged me to switch over).

When I asked Lew if he and Bill had plans on the table to build an amp based around the KT120, he replied that they were happy with their current circuit and running the tubes more conservatively. cj, maybe because they remember those days of tube equipment blowing up and having problems, really values reliability. They have felt for a long time the unreliability of tube gear [true or not], has kept many audiophiles from buying tube based equipment.

Now these KT120s have been around for a number of years. The set I received a few months had a date code of 2006. Part of the reason I think the companies recently switched is that they wanted to use up their existing supplies of 6550s. Remember ARC and cj, among others, buy large lots of tubes in order to supply customers down the road (and that's a lot of overhead).

As far as suppliers, cj used GE 6550s [from Richardson Electronics] until the tube's reliability and rejection rate became ridiculous (like 50 pct. were being rejected). They then switched to the Russian 6550 Winged SED tubes and stayed their ever since.

In my experience with both ARC and the Cj amps I have heard the difference between the 6550 and the KT-120 was nothing less than amazing. THe Ref 210's at the time sounded like a different amp, more dynamic, powerful, effortless and just plain better sounding every where. I had this same reaction in the little VSi60 and in a friends big CJ top of the line monoblocks. A true step forward IMO

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Does anybody have data sheets for 6550 and KT120? I used to but cannot find them... Mark, they are probably with my D79 manual. :( I have some thoughts but do not want to depend upon memory for this one.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Any comparisons between these and the top KT88's?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
In my experience with both ARC and the Cj amps I have heard the difference between the 6550 and the KT-120 was nothing less than amazing. THe Ref 210's at the time sounded like a different amp, more dynamic, powerful, effortless and just plain better sounding every where. I had this same reaction in the little VSi60 and in a friends big CJ top of the line monoblocks. A true step forward IMO

Eliot - interesting...the comments about the KT120 typically include dynamics and power...some have even gone on to say it compared well with seroius heavyweight SS ampliification. How did the CJ monos compare in your opinion to other SOTA amps you have heard...SS or tubed? Just curious as i have never heard the big CJ monos. thanks!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Ok so this now officially sucks! I've just had my second KT120 fail w/in 500 hours. Never, never had that happen with the 6550s SEDs. What really sucks is that it doesn't take a fuse so only way you know is hearing a channel imbalance, loss of dynamics and distortion. Oh well....

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Ok so this now officially sucks! I've just had my second KT120 fail w/in 500 hours. Never, never had that happen with the 6550s SEDs. What really sucks is that it doesn't take a fuse so only way you know is hearing a channel imbalance, loss of dynamics and distortion. Oh well....

I had more problems with KT120s in 2 different ARC amps than I ever did with 6550 equipped amps. And my KT120 experience only lasted 3 years or so. I had 6550s for at least 10 years.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Wow, that is a surprise. No problems here going on 3 months. They just went without warning

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Bummer Myles. How often do you check the bias in order to make sure you aren't having a runaway tube?

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Bummer Myles. How often do you check the bias in order to make sure you aren't having a runaway tube?

Usually the bias is good for a while. And of course with the cj, you just turn a pot until a LED lights up and then you just back the pot off enough so the LED goes off. They are set up needless to say in push-pull pairs.

There's really no way to tell, like say the protective circuitry of VTL amp does, if a tube is about to go. So keep a sharp eye out when it goes cherry red. Of course, the 6550s always seems to go cherry red when you're not in the room and all you hear is a bigggggg POP. Once you hear that sound, you never forget it
:(

The weird thing is that 6550s would always go cherry red and take a fuse. The KT120s are more insidious and you hear something doesn't sound right; then you have to go back and check the biasing on the tube. With the KT120s, they just seem to die and you can't bias the tube at all.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sounds like a bad run of tubes, Myles... Bummer!

Yes and cj burns them in and then checks them too in a mod. circuit. With some tubes the rejection rate approached 40 pct, especially those used in the phono section.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Myles

That does not surprise me re the kt120's. Supposed and actual hours of use are two different things. cj used winged c 6550 tubes for more than 20 years so the longevity is proven. Frankly the kt120's are not.

Personally, I like the sonics of the kt120, however they are not particularly transparent compared to the tung Sol 6550. That is my current fav. If you want a more nimble bass and superior see through transparency, try the tung Sol 6550's.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Yes and cj burns them in and then checks them too in a mod. circuit. With some tubes the rejection rate approached 40 pct, especially those used in the phono section.
Myles, if you toast a power tube in the C-J, does it fry anything else, ala ARC? Which amp is this?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing