Conrad Johnson: New Preamp Flagship - ART88

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Was just speaking with someone about CJ and went to their website and happened to see this:

Does anyone have any details?

Hyperion (Marcus)?

Reactions: Hyperion and XV-1

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Was just speaking with someone about CJ and went to their website and happened to see this:

Does anyone have any details?

Hyperion (Marcus)?

The ART 88 is the new state of the art preamp from CJ replacing the highly acclaimed GAT S2, where the first version (GAT S1) was released more than 10 years ago.

It's basically a dual mono configuration in a single chassis using 2 PHILIPS PCC88 tubes for each channel , CJD TEFLON caps and VISHAY resistors.

It's not every day that CJ releases a brand new product within a segment they know really well.

Available now for immediate order and delivery.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The ART 88 is the new state of the art preamp from CJ replacing the highly acclaimed GAT S2, where the first version (GAT S1) was released more than 10 years ago.

It's basically a dual mono configuration in a single chassis using 2 PHILIPS PCC88 tubes for each channel , CJD TEFLON caps and VISHAY resistors.

It's not every day that CJ releases a brand new product within a segment they know really well.

Available now for immediate order and delivery.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se
Great! Thanks. I wonder what the design decision was behind using 2x PCC88 (7DJ8) behind each channel vs the GAT 1xPCC88 per channel. What does 2x the tube output provide in a preamp? Have they said anything to you?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
All Tubes, (no FET) in signal path. Better the the GAT2 in all areas.

Are you sure? The technical details refer that the output impedance is less than 100 ohms, something that does not seem possible using just one double triode per channel.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Reactions: Hyperion

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
Agreed.

But a substantail number of my RoomPlay system-to-room setup ciients did not know about it. Is it mentioned in the owner's manual?

zermatt

Oct 5, 2010
wash dc
Are you sure? The technical details refer that the output impedance is less than 100 ohms, something that does not seem possible using just one double triode per channel.
That statement came from the president and owner of conrad-johnson. Pick you battle with him!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Agreed.

But a substantail number of my RoomPlay system-to-room setup ciients did not know about it. Is it mentioned in the owner's manual?

Yes. And as soon as you open the box you find a large red sheet warning about it.

Simple single element triode preampliers share this inverting characteristic - the Lamm LL1 also inverts signal.

Reactions: Jim Smith

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
Yes. And as soon as you open the box you find a large red sheet warning about it.

Simple single element triode preampliers share this inverting characteristic - the Lamm LL1 also inverts signal.

Thanks!

This was a number of years ago. Maybe they didn't warn about it earlier. IIRC, the ARTs and GATs all had the same polarity Issue.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
IIRC, the ARTs and GATs all had the same polarity Issue.

CJ preamps and linestages have inverted polarity going back many many years. The earliest were phase correct. The PV4 inverted the linestage but not the phono stage. The PV-5 that I owned was phase correct. My PV-8 inverted linestage and not the phono. The Premier 16LS (my favorite) inverted as did my ACT2.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

More details - "It deploys 2 Philips PCC88 Triode Tubes per channel and, in effect, runs as a Dual Mono Preamp. One tube is the Gain Stage and the other is for Impedance Matching."

Are they going back to their old configuration of a single triode followed by a cathode buffer? I would not expect it!

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
This is what the Art88 is all about maties!

The ART88 is configured essentially as a dual-mono preamplifier – the two channels sharing only a power transformer and the chassis. The ART88 adheres to our maxim that best results are obtained through the execution of simple circuits carefully executed with highest quality component parts. In this case, the circuit for each channel consists of a single triode gain stage utilizing paralleled sections of a PCC88 twin-triode vacuum tube coupled to the output through a buffer stage incorporating paralleled sections of a second PCC88 for low output impedance. Each channel is provided with an independent DC power supply with discrete voltage regulator.
Our ART series of products are notable for the unmatched quality of parts, as well as attention to mechanical details. The incredible CJD Teflon capacitors and Vishay metal foil resistors are used throughout the audio circuit and for the regulated plate voltage power supply. I/O connectors are machined from oxygen free copper, then silver plated with a Rhodium flash. The level controls and audio circuits are shock mounted on independent daughter boards and the casework is executed in heavy gauge aluminum to minimize microphonics. The ART88 is built without compromise to achieve and maintain a new standard of musical performance.
The US suggested retail price for the ART88 is $28,000. Deliveries have already begun.

Jeez, now that's a bargain! However, down unda this thing hovers around 45grand... good value? Maybe when compared to other lofty gear. I've always preferred what CJ offers and the sheer brilliance in the level of musicality they offer. Listenable for endless hours without any fatigue whatsoever. As they say, "it just sounds right."
Better start saving some pennies...

The phase inversion that CJ does on their main outputs with all their preamps, is actually not inverting the phase, rather they Preserve the phase. Hence only one inversion happens at all inputs, and this inversion is passed unhindered through the outputs. Therefore, in order to achieve Absolute Phase, this is conveniently done by swapping speaker leads at the speaker terminals. That's all... no biggie!

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ

Reactions: 2ndLiner

Coppy777

Jun 5, 2020
Sarasota, Florida
Got my ART88 last week. Replaced an excellent GAT1. A healthy increase in all areas of sound quality.
Breaking it in now but it was terrific right out of the box. Took me five minutes to decide on packing up the GAT for trade in.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Got my ART88 last week. Replaced an excellent GAT1. A healthy increase in all areas of sound quality.
Breaking it in now but it was terrific right out of the box. Took me five minutes to decide on packing up the GAT for trade in.
Congrats! That is big news. As a 20-year owner of CJ preamps, I have to say not one ever broke or needed repairs: PV14L, ACT 2, GAT 1, GAT 2. Super reliable, and for 20 years a big admirer and still am today. I can imagine under Jeff's leadership it will continue to move forward. Saw your notes on the ART 88 vs the older GAT 1.

Combined with the ART27A...must be pretty magical! Look forward to reading more if/when you have time, and it has fully broken in. Enjoy!

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
CJ is at another level of musical refinement with finesse!
The ART series gear takes this very statement to the core, and it's truly SOTA! I know it's fairly pricey... then again considering where the cost of living is in this world today and how we need to exist, let alone standard groceries... what isn't pricey?

A very few have auditioned this particular CJ gear, and once you have it's just an awe-inspiring experience. To me, nothing really compares at this price point. Jeff Fischel has done a remarkable job, truly superb!!!

With any of CJ's previous gear, starting from the PV & MV series, Premier series, CT & ET series, the LP series and onto the Classic and ART series gear, all of these systems comprise of one thing that CJ has always remained true to pure high Fidelity, and that's been faithful to the original recording. There's nothing more to add.

Re: To phase inverting / "polarity issues"... in fact, this is not an issue!
Every preamp receives an inverted phase at all Inputs from whatever source gear you're using. Once it passes through the Input stage and onto the Output stage, those preamps then Invert the phase again at their Outputs. By inverting this phase TWICE... is what equals to Phase Correct.

Note:***With CJ, they don't invert the incoming phase Twice, only once at the Inputs. Therefore, this source signal that is been received as an inverted phase is in fact preserved as "Inverted," and that is why CJ preamps have Inverted phase at their Outputs.*** They don't alter that incoming signal... they keep it as pure as possible.

So, now we have a signal that leaves the preamp's Outputs inverted... therefore how do we accomplish Absolute Phase before it reaches our speakers and onto our precious hearing? Just swap the speaker leads (+ & - ) connections on the speaker terminals. And remember to swap both channels not just one speaker, otherwise the signal will remain in Partial Phase and not Absolute phase. CJ clearly explains this in every Owner's manual, they even include a red colored sheet, explaining this is in plain English. However, yet there are a number of highly intellectual audiophiles who simply cannot understand what this Inverted Phase is all about... and call it polarity issues... Uh?

There are a few other makes who also preserve the incoming phase at their Inputs, which are Inverted only once! Then at the Outputs this phase is preserved, leaving it exactly that way. That is why from the first note onwards, you'll hear the differences in an Inverting phase preamp vs a non-inverting phase preamp. Especially a SOTA Linestage preamp, such as any of CJ's top line gear.

Now, this may or may not be to someone's liking, such that we all have preferences, and if we didn't then most probably all systems would sound the bloody same! How boring would that be! So, with regards to whether or not this phase inverting phenomenon is a good thing or not, is highly personal. As far as I'm concerned, and every CJ owner, it's a fine level of pure musicality. It's far more neutral and as close as possible to the original source signal. I sincerely believe it's this purer signal that is so captivating... simply because that's exactly what's on the recording!

WOOF! And enjoy those finest tunes!
Cheers, RJ

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well said RJ!

Coppy777

Jun 5, 2020
Sarasota, Florida
Having owned c-j amps and preamps for many years... Premier 14, Premier 16, Act 2, Act 2 S2, and GAT1, all of which improved the sound quality over previous models. GAT was the biggest upgrade. The improvement in SQ with the new ART88 is, by far, the greatest delta vs. all previous models. Just amazing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Dog RJ

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing