Commonwealth idler drive - any experience?

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Recently I have become quite curious about the Commonwealth idler drive turntables that were made in Australia. There seems to be so few of these produced that I am having trouble finding much information. Has anyone compared any of their models to the usual Garrard or Thorens contenders? I also worry that parts might be hard to come by if any restoration is needed.

Maybe the WBF community can offer words of wisdom? Maybe someone has ideas on how to source one of these vintage turntables that’s in nice condition.

Any input is appreciated :)

Reactions: bonzo75 and brencho

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I wonder if Audiosilente in Italy could also be of some help?

Love to see a Commonwealth build in one of your uber-tasty plinth designs :)

Reactions: Ovenmitt

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Thanks Erik and @pcosta .... those are good ideas. I hadn’t actually thought of it but Audiosilente is someone I definitely need to check out. These decks seem like they could be really great. I do realize they’re kinda rare but it still seems as if there’s a real lack of info out there on them.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
@volken can you share any more details on your build? have you put it in a plinth yet?…. I’m curious to hear your thoughts….. I had to put my commonwealth project on the back burner for a while to take care of some other things. I’m very anxious to get back to it soon.

volken

Apr 30, 2018
Netherlands
@volken can you share any more details on your build? have you put it in a plinth yet?…. I’m curious to hear your thoughts….. I had to put my commonwealth project on the back burner for a while to take care of some other things. I’m very anxious to get back to it soon.
20201221_114322.jpg 20201221_161749.jpg 20210104_102056.jpg 20201221_154751.jpg 20201221_180610.jpg 20210104_105843.jpg

volken

Apr 30, 2018
Netherlands
The revision was done for a customer who made his own console for it can't publish that .
But let me know when you are going to start with the revision the pictures showing the motor , main bearing and two pictures from the motor current spectrum the first is asis the motor does not lock on speed its a reluctance motor ,
Second after overhaul and perfect stable speed , got more pictures also from the power supply and the influence on the vibration.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
A long time has passed since I started on this project... sigh. I thought I'd post some quick pics of the final outcome - actually, not final because I still have some more work that I want/need to do to get this sounding it's best, I think...

IMG_0940.jpeg

Reactions: jespera and ACHiPo

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
IMG_0943.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0936.jpeg
    IMG_0936.jpeg
    688.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0938.jpeg
    IMG_0938.jpeg
    741.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0943.jpeg
    IMG_0943.jpeg
    740 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0950.jpeg
    IMG_0950.jpeg
    915.8 KB · Views: 18

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
How is it sounding now vs your others?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Commonwealth that Schick had in the Western electric room in Munich in 2015 or so was worth paying him for it there and then

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Andy Moore in Australia has one in which Mark Dohmann installed a Schroeder s CB. Maybe @awsmone can go and listen

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Hi
Hi Erik,

Comparing the Commonwealth to my other tables…. It‘s insanely dynamic. It kinda out Garrards the Garrard. It really has a sense of momentum that I’ve not experienced from a turntable before. I feel like a faucet has been opened all the way and music is pouring out of my speakers; it’s very exhilarating to listen to.

It does still sound a bit coarse compared to my other tables though - wow and flutter isn’t measuring quite as low, and I’m thinking this is at least part of what I’m hearing.

I still have some tuning and some other new parts to have made. All to say, I think it has incredible potential. I don’t think it’s all the way where it can be yet.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Andy Moore in Australia has one in which Mark Dohmann installed a Schroeder s CB. Maybe @awsmone can go and listen
Ked,

The Schroeder CB looks super interesting. I wonder if you have any experience with it?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked,

The Schroeder CB looks super interesting. I wonder if you have any experience with it?

At Anamighty, and at TZBC's on the Dohmann. Anamighty we had done a compare with the Schick and it was quite better. I cannot say how it compares to other arms like FR, glanz, etc. Schroeder does love idlers and vintage so all these arms might work on yours.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing