Chance of owning real master tapes?

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
Recently heard from Jonathan Horwich with news of his four new master dub releases (as pasted below).

Two things caught my eyes:

1) He is offering the original master recording from direct-to-two track recording session Mike Garson, Monk Fell On Me. If I had read it correctly, this is an offer I had never encountered from a studio in my memory.

2) I told him of my first take on music on his earlier tapes few years back as being somewhat esoteric beyond my jazz exposure for an uneducated jazz person - me. However, his new release include piano solos of both jazz and classical genre even I can appropriate. ;)

I am voting with my wallet and ordering the piano production dub tapes!

Here's his original email he had sent to people in his mailing list:

Jazz:
Mike Garson, Monk Fell On Me

Recorded on 5 and 6 June 2013, this solo piano performance features Mike Garson, one of the finest jazz pianist alive today. Referred to as the greatest rock and roll pianist of all time by David Bowie (with whom he toured) Mike interprets Thelonius Monk tunes in an intensely deep and modernistic approach. The result is stunning.

The session was recorded directly to two-track tape using two vintage Neuman U67 microphones and a modified Studer 810 recorder. Fortuitously, there are two extra original masters available from this session. These two tapes are the actual masters created in the session directly from the microphones and are available for sale separately by contacting me through email. There are very few individuals in the world who own original master recordings, let alone a performance of this calibre. For those who cannot afford such an item, direct copies of the actual master are available for $350.00 each. And the copies run from the production master are the usual $150.00. Please note, I know of few other companies that sell copies which are only two generations removed from the master as are IPI’s usual copies, let alone copies of the master or the master itself.

The sound on this release is close in and up front so detail is clearly heard, yet musical because of the microphones used and the tape deck, but more importantly, because of the playing.

Jason Roebke Quartet, Shimmering

Recorded 18 December 2012 in Chicago, this performance was recorded directly to an 8 track Studer recorder. This great ensemble of world class players, features Chicago-style modern jazz at its best. (Jason Roebke, bass; Mike Reed, drums; Jason Adaisiewicz, vibes; and Keefe Jackson, tenor sax.) Although the jazz is avant, it is also quite lyrical and captivating to listen to on tape. One customer said he had never heard better sounding vibes than on this tape (A handmade stereo mic was used on the vibes not to mention a hand assembled Telefunken 251e on the tenor sax.)

I personally love this music and the musicians who created it. I hope you will support them.

Four direct copies of the original 8 track master are available for $350.00. I cannot make any more copies of the master as the 8 track was played a few times and mixed down to two tracks for these extra direct copies but that is it, as the set up for making copies of the 8 track is too expensive and extensive to be able to do easily.

As is usual, copies of the production master are sold for only $150.00.

Classical:

Mark Zeltser, In Luxembourg
In 1980, I did a series of classical recordings in Europe, into which I am finally delving. These were all done with two spaced B&K omni directional microphones, on a Levinson Studer ML5. The first of this series I am making available is by the world class Russian pianist, Mark Zeltser. Here he is captured playing Chopin and Prokofiev in a church in Luxembourg to a live audience. It is one of those moments where the music, piano, and surroundings create a magical moment sure to please those who love classical music of the highest order. A stunning performance. Price $150.00. A direct copy of the master can obtained for $400.00, as it is a lot of work to make such a copy.

Pop:

Cuddle Magic, First Hippie On The Moon.
Recorded to an 8-track Studer recorder, this was done specifically for IPI’s tape issue program on 24 April 2013. This is an example of IPI’s program to create natural sounding multi mic recordings. Although my recording experience has been in jazz and classical, I have never recorded any folk/pop music, if only because it is not my field of expertise. However, in this case I could not resist their music, and as as this group, Cuddle Magic, was in Chicago, we decided to do an analog recording of the group to my 8 track Studer.

I think you’ll be pleased with the results. The music of the group of six musicians is basically avant pop. Very dreamy, crazy music of great appeal. Price is the usual $150.00.

jonathan

LInks

Jun 28, 2011
Vancouver BC
www.allmusic.com
Answering the question "Chance of owning real master tapes?" with a different perspective.

As a former Canadian Broadcasting Corporation classical recording engineer I "possess"
many master tapes of "for broadcast" orchestral, and chamber ensemble performances (in studio and concert venues).
However, I do not "own" them in the sense that I can legally "share" these in any way.
I have these because I always ran 2- 1/4" 1/2 track tape machines (Studer and or Ampex) for safety sake.
All were recorded "hot to 2" so no multitrack mixdown except for one which was recorded in 1973 for quad playback
and I used an 8 track Ampex.
I would take one of the masters home with me and built up a good sized stash over the years
from 1972 to the late 80s when we switched to 44.1/16 digital (horrors!!).
I preserve my analogue tapes as best as I can afford, by capturing to 2 Korg MR2000s DSD
recorders at double SACD sample rate. ie.5.6 MHz from 2 Revox/Studer PR99 decks
one modified with direct playback head output to external preamp.

So, if you want unrestricted access to real master tapes, marry or live with a recording engineer. :b

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
So, if you want unrestricted access to real master tapes, marry or live with a recording engineer. :b

Hi LInks:

It's too late for me to locate a recording engineer to live with or to marry...unfortunately. However, I did have a plan to enjoy live piano and violin music on que by sending both of our kids to music lessons since they were about four years old and acquiring a grand piano, violin, clarinet and such.

The plan was good but execution sucked.

As a fellow tapehead, I sure would like to visit you the next time when I am in Vancouver for a listen of your live-to-2-track tapes! I would offer to host you in Seattle area for a listening session of my few real master tapes and limited tape dub collection including The Tape Project tapes.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I ll be picking my recorders up tomorrow , i ll post some pics , one is CRC Carry record and carry:D , i might contact the conservatorium in amsterdam to do some recordings of rehearsels myself if they permit , costs only blank tape( i hope ).
And you get a good feel of what really gets lost of the music signal along the way

LInks

Jun 28, 2011
Vancouver BC
www.allmusic.com
Good luck with them permitting recordings of rehearsals.
When I was testing our then new B&K 4006s with the Vancouver Symphony in rehearsal
a union guy was assigned to make sure we did not record anything.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Well i am in amsterdam , a lot is free overhere :p:D.
it doesnt have to be a orchestra , solo artists(students) would be cool as well , whether acoustic guitar , violin , contrabass

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Hi Ki,

Good to see you last month. As far as I know, Opus 3 is one of the only commercial companies to offer direct copies of their production masters of about 40-50 of their albums - all done in analogue and most released first on vinyl. A few of them were done after Opus 3 stopped doing vinyl releases and did SACD although the original masters were all analogue. They are limiting the number of copies to 50 to prevent the production master from wearing out. I have 10 of the releases - a couple of which I have the vinyl. They are about $500 each. I believe they are being produced to order, in real time, one at a time. I haven't asked Ed Pong whether his copies are from the production master or not.

Larry

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Ki,

Good to see you last month. As far as I know, Opus 3 is one of the only commercial companies to offer direct copies of their production masters of about 40-50 of their albums - all done in analogue and most released first on vinyl. A few of them were done after Opus 3 stopped doing vinyl releases and did SACD although the original masters were all analogue. They are limiting the number of copies to 50 to prevent the production master from wearing out. I have 10 of the releases - a couple of which I have the vinyl. They are about $500 each. I believe they are being produced to order, in real time, one at a time. I haven't asked Ed Pong whether his copies are from the production master or not.

Larry
Hi Larry
I can give you the answer our tape is from production master, but I know the different between them very well because we have chance to compare , we use the same machine (master tape recording) for copy instead the in-put of mic preamp to a repro preamp of another Studer A80, this is the key point, before we switched to a tube with silver wound transformer out-put repro amp, the quality was down grade a lot, now still with different but not that much, so the most effect to the sound quality still in the recording quality of the master tape recording, since you are the big fans of our tapes Ed will give you a refresh service, send back the tape for refreshment if you play that one too many times and going wear
happy listening
tony ma

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
Hi LInks:

As a fellow tapehead, I sure would like to visit you the next time when I am in Vancouver for a listen of your live-to-2-track tapes!

:cool: :)

Ki Choi

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Seattle WA area
since you are the big fans of our tapes Ed will give you a refresh service, send back the tape for refreshment if you play that one too many times and going wear
happy listening
tony ma

Hi Tony:
Can you explain what you meant by "refreshment"?
Ed's tapes have many fans, including me. ;)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I ve been going quick through ed/tonys tapes and while the new electronics still have to settle in , it sounds very promising .
Favourite so far is the Violin encores tape : xiang yu violin eldon ng piano .
The old basf piano tapes i got with the b62 arent bad either

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
and a picture of one of them a 1976 recording of pianist Jorge Bolet in the concertgebouw,never played the tape is still sealed
I dont dare to play it either , a few have been played a few not the ones i played sound fantastic , although tape still has some noise residu in my system when recorded music is played , this is a 1000 meter tape also quite long ,
SPR 50 LH-K/1000 m 6,3 mm

_DSC0062 by andromeda61, on Flickr

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing