The Sound of Horowitz - high resolution re-issue

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
Vladimir Horowitz? Yes Please. I actually helped bring this re-issued recording about. I found an New in Box unplayed reel-to-reel tape of one of my favorite records. The Sound of Horowitz was recorded in 1962, the same year I was born! I brought it to the HDTT label which remasters and re-issues classic recordings on the very latest ultra-high resolution equipment. I searched and as far as I could tell there have been no re-issues of this in the digital domain. The label agreed that this would probably be something that could sell! So today they released the album! And I have to say it sounds even better than I remember of the vinyl copies I have.

I studied classical piano for 15 years, on my families grand piano, I am always looking for a piano recording that sounds like the real thing to me. This recording is as close as I've ever come. It has that gorgeous early 60's Columbia sound. It is fairly close-miked which I think is one reason it sounds realistic to me because its more from the players perspective than the audience. It has natural warmth, and rich tone along with startling dynamics. And Horowitz plays like an Angel/Demon, with his unique interpretations. I used to play one of the Scarlatti tracks on here too, though probably unrecognizable to his performance.

I have at least 4 vinyl copies of this album, and they capture that liveliness well, but all have had some inner groove distortion and crashed a bit at the crescendos. This render of the tape version has none of that!

The Sound of Horowitz

folder.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing