CH Precision D1

alistairm

Sep 29, 2012
Australia
I was wondering if there are any owners of the CH Precision D1 out there, or anyone who has done some extensive listening? I am considering picking one up, but it's very difficult in Australia to get in home demonstrations.

I'm currently running a DCS Puccini with u-clock with Dartzeel NHB-18NS and NHB-108 into Avantgarde Trios.

The DCS is very good, very resolving and plenty of air and space. It is particularly good for classical music. However, for some simple music I still prefer the now-ancient Accuphase DPS-70, which has a sweeter presentation and, to my ear, is more organic. I'm looking for the best of both worlds... but am aware it's not always possible. In any event, I mostly listen to vinyl but still want a good digital front end.

I am particularly interested in CH Precision because the case work looks to be up there with Dartzeel's, and also because I understand it takes Dartzeel's 50 ohm connectors - I use the Evolution Accoustics 50 ohm cables and prefer them even to my Jorma.

Any thoughts or musings from members would be greatly appreciated and will be taken into account by me in deciding how to proceed.

Namaste

Feb 20, 2013
My dealer was kind enough to loan me both the D1 and the C1 and I must say that this combination is way better than the D1 playing alone. The D1 itself will kill most other CD/Sacd players out there but with the C1, the combination is hard to beat. The best from CH is, in my opinion, direct Ethernet streaming from the C1 which I finally settled on.
Prior to this, I'd listened to the Dcs Vivaldi stack, MSB, Opheus, Burmester 111 and other big name players. I finally chose the C1 with the Ethernet option. Hope this helps. Just my 2 cents.

alistairm

Sep 29, 2012
Australia
This is very helpful, thank you. I am thinking that at first I will get a D1 with dual analogue outputs and keep the DCS for streaming, adding the C1 in due course.

You have mentioned some of the other things I was considering. The case work is important to me, hence I have ruled out the MSB. It is VERY popular and somewhat flavour of the month here in Australia, but to me looks like a modem.

Out of interest, how have you found the CH to stack up to the casework on your other equipment?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have heard excellent things about CH Precision. I think the founders came from Anagram Technologies, so from what I am told, an excellent pedigree in digital design. In general, the 'case work' I have seen from the companies they have been involved with certainly seemed great from the outside...though i am no circuit designer and cannot speak to the internal quality.

Very interested in hearing more people's thoughts about the CH Precisions digital.

Alistairm, I have been fortunate to hear the DCS Scarlatti as a possible trade at my local dealer's, the DCS Vivaldi at another dealer's and then the DCS Scarlatti in a superb set up in a private home. The DCS Scarlatti set up on a Halcyonics active isolation platform and using an old custom PS Audio 300 where you can adjust the voltage 1 volt at a time or something...really helped the DCS Scarlatti come across with greater fluidity and sweetness according to the Owner who has labored more intensely on the setup of his system than anywhere else I have seen.

All Kondo, Genesis 1.1s (custom reworked by former colleague of Arnie Nudell), separately poured concrete floor from the rest of the room so the equipment sits on different flooring that is isolated from the speaker flooring, etc...

And I think he would acknowledge your comments about DCS...so I am just passing his experience on regarding DCS Scarlatti and isolation. On my end, I have the opposite situation...the Zanden can be a bit 'hazy' with slightly more gentle bass than many excellent digital systems today. Its tonal qualities and nuance are still tops for me...but once I put each of the 4 boxes in its own 'isolation sandwich' comprising of either Stillpoints Ultra 5s underneath and HRS/Artesania dampers or HRS M3/Nimbus Couplers underneath and HRS/Artesania dampers o top...and then added tube dampers internally along with PAD Dominus Power Cables and NOS tubes...the Zanden suddenly had a much stronger tone, with propulsive bass and a far, far clearer, cleaner presentation while still maintaining its original beauty of tone. So for me, I am keeping it despite many auditions of: Esoteric X01SE, Metronome Kalista Ref/C2A, ARC Ref 3,5,7,8, Krell 505, Meridian 808.2i, Stahl-Tek Vekian (original), Emm CDSA, DCS Scarlatti and Vivaldi, Weiss Medea, Wadia s7i, and a few others.

just my two cents for your Puccini while you consider the CH Precision...good luck and pls keep us posted.

Namaste

Feb 20, 2013
Alistair,
As for the build quality, I must say it ranks among the very best, both internally and externally.

alistairm

Sep 29, 2012
Australia
I will definitely try some isolation alternative for the DCS. Currently on a Finite Elemente Master Reference Pagode, with no isolation between it and the shelf... tweak time!

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I will definitely try some isolation alternative for the DCS. Currently on a Finite Elemente Master Reference Pagode, with no isolation between it and the shelf... tweak time!

Hi I used to own a Puccini/U clock on a Finite Elemente Master Ref Pagode. I then tried the cerapuc under and felt it was to much the wrong way...more resolution...a bit cooler. I will say the dCS responds VERY well to Shunyata power cords/conditioners. If you haven't tried a Shunyata King Cobra CX or Anaconda Zitron with your dCS you might not know what's in store. Also what clock cable are you using between the u clock and puccini? A Cardas Lightning 15 bnc to bnc will smoke the stock cable and these are only about $250-$300. (I might even have a 1/2 meter one left...have to look).

I have since moved up a Grand Prix Audio Silverstone F1 rack and it is singularly one of my best components. What it did for my system is pretty shocking in terms of lower noise, better resolution and more natural everything. So now I have a dCS Scarlatti dac/trans/clock...it's a major step up from the Puccini/U clock, in every way...especially the natural portrayal of everything and the density of musical notes. However, back to clock cables, I swapped out the Cardas for Purist Audio Designs Proteus Provectus Praesto (bnc to bnc) and once again a nice improvement. These are about $1500...but once they go in...they don't go out.

Anyway...just a few of my dCS experiences.

I have heard the CH 1 Precision, in NYC Audio Arts. It's a killer good digital front end. I can't compare it to my dCS Scarlatti..just way to different of a system. I will say the build quality is excellent...top tier...no worries here. I don't think you'd go wrong with either....but I suspect like all things in audio, they'll sound a bit different.

So, just sayin, I'd make sure your power cords/conditioners are maxed out to your current dCS and try a good clock cable...hope this helps a little...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Nice one JFrech! Talk about the voice of experience!

alistairm

Sep 29, 2012
Australia
Thank you! I am using Shunyata Zitron Annaconda through a Triton, but just the DCS clocking cable. I will follow your suggestion on that front. Let. Know if you're looking to move on your Cardas!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I now have a D1 side by side with the Puccini & u-clock, so will post some impressions after more extended listening.

Let me know Al!

I think you will be impressed. I am sure you got my pictures of the innards.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I have heard excellent things about CH Precision. I think the founders came from Anagram Technologies, so from what I am told, an excellent pedigree in digital design. In general, the 'case work' I have seen from the companies they have been involved with certainly seemed great from the outside...though i am no circuit designer and cannot speak to the internal quality.

Very interested in hearing more people's thoughts about the CH Precisions digital.

And ex-Goldmund too!

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
I won't speak of the sonics since I am a competitor, but I will tell you they are very capable designers /engineers who are a pleasure to deal with. Really good people!

redsquare

Dec 9, 2013
Jtinn, that was very cool - a competitor complementing CH - very classy. Dartzeel is super gear - btw (but you know that).

I currently own the CH D1 and C1 together. Before CH I owned DCS,MSB, Jadis, Goldmund and Audio Note dacs. First I started with just the D1 and I can tell you without any hesitation that the D1 is the best integrated cd/sacd player on the market. The sound is incredibly fluid with ultra fine detail and musicality. The Swiss Made build quality is also better than anything out there. Really Swiss jewels and I love the display features. I think the DCS and MSB look cheap compared to CH but in eyes of beholder. I decided to add the C1 after hearing the two using the proprietary CH link. So I agree with above; the D1 and C1 is state of the art. Now I know that audio is subjective, but I just can't see how this combo can be beat with exception of (maybe) the Trinity which is covered on WBF as well. Like Jfrech, I heard (and bought) from Audioarts in NYC. I know of another dealer who sells Wilson with CH together and swears by the combo. Florian Cossy and Thierry Hieb of CH were with Goldmund, then started Orpheus and created Anagram Technologies before CH - very serious pedigree. Bottom line I'm very happy and listen hours on end, something I never used to do with my former digital. But you still have to listen before buying!

For insight here's the current TAS issue review of CH: http://cybwiz.zenfolio.com/tas_ch_review.pdf

And added insight into CH from a TAS factory visit (current issue as well): http://cybwiz.zenfolio.com/tas_swiss.pdf

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
The C1 sounded sublime at RMAF. I have no experience with Goldmund so can't comment on comparisons there but was truly impressed by the CH gear i heard. Build quality superb. If any of you are at CES this week, and are comparing listening within show conditions, can you share your thoughts? Particularly interested to know how nagra's new DAC sounds compared to CH, Vivaldi, ARC and Trinity.
Thanks
Chris

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing