Cello Videos

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Ok. Interesting about the Mayer 46. I have not heard that amp but own a ~diy 46 and have heard Mayer 300b and would think his 46 to be a great match. Maybe the impedance curve is tough on the Pnoe?

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Ok. Interesting about the Mayer 46. I have not heard that amp but own a ~diy 46 and have heard Mayer 300b and would think his 46 to be a great match. Maybe the impedance curve is tough on the Pnoe?

I think Kedar cocked up his post and meant that the times he heard it when *it did* sound good was with the Mayer 46, Sparrow etc.

Reactions: bonzo75 and Solypsa

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
They are surprisingly room sensitive, as in they sound flat in corners and muffled. But the key when you have no cross over is to take advantage of the nuance it is capable of and the high dynamic range so all electronics have to suit. Nuance and agility should not be suppressed anywhere in the chain. It does not do well with poor source or recordings and the bass cam sometime go off time with high unless right amp is used. I never really heard it sound good with Mayer 46, and red sparrow and linear tracker and great records. And I have heard it with 6 amps plus Munich. I understand there is a possibility to hear with new electronics now that work wonders so at some point in the future hope to listen.
Room sensitive because this design wasn’t made for indoor use!

david

223877D9-4733-4C06-90B0-1BD6FE4D1444.jpeg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Interesting you have a DIY 46. How many watts is it

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Interesting you have a DIY 46. How many watts is it
Never tested it. And I did not build it, was made by Sayes out of repurposed Tamura iron. Never said its on the Mayer level but it does a lot of nice things. I suppose its 1w...

Reactions: bonzo75

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I picked it to go with my own diy 'aikido meets silvercore' phono as it ( 5842 into 46 ) doesn't need a lot of gain and I wanted a phono-passive-amp arrangement for my slow build non commercial system

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I picked it to go with my own diy 'akido meets silvercore' phono as it ( 5842 into 46 ) doesn't need a lot of gain and I wanted a phono-passive-amp arrangement for my slow build non commercial system

Silvercore phono is voiced on SPUs. He can probably do what is required adding more silver etc and customise. However, the 46 is a super nuanced agile valve, at least the Mayer amp. So basic Silvercore phono, especially if you are using his DIY kit, will hold back what downstream is capable of. I found Silvercore phono better than the thoress in a direct shootout

Also both have very different sound and design philosophies. Mayer is a lot of iron, silvercore doesn't like a lot of iron. Silvercore amps are more SPU like with bigger valves and more power and Mayer amps are smaller valves and are extremely agile and transparent amongst those I have heard. Both can do various valves, though SIlvercore staple is 833c. His huge Eimac is excellent though expensive but otherwise not easy to get 80 watts of SET power.

All in all, teaming those different philosophies in the same chain not such a good idea.

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I get what you are saying. The phono uses Silvercore sut ( copper ) and lcr modules ( silver alloy ) from back when you could buy parts from him but the rest of the circuit is a kit from John Broskie ;)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Let’s get serious here Ked those speakers are a plastic pipe with a driver stuck at one end, what setup:)?

david
David, I've heard the Pnoes twice, tbh I told Ked at the time that I was left cold after such a big build up. Nice on piano £00s half century old lp.
But we played Can "Vitamin D", and music that needed to feel grounded and secure failed strikingly here. My Zus at home made a greater fist of Can, even if they couldn't replicate the some of the strengths of Pnoes on piano.
Maybe you need to be smoking something in your pipe to get the most of rock or bass heavy material on these Lol.

Reactions: ddk

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Entire Dvorak Cello Concerto, Fournier Szell. This guy is posting entire pieces. To paraphrase DaveyF's post on its 3rd year anniversary, prepare to sell your speakers and listen to concerts on this guy's youtube videos streamed to your Sonos

Reactions: Argonaut

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing