Beyond Turntables-Micro Seiki SZ-1t, SX-8000II & SX-8000

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Thanks Peter, that is a Lamm LL2 you see in the pic, I am using an Amazon B-Lab phono stage. I agree with your sound assessments and for myself find that the soundstage expanded as well but in a surprising way. Yes wider but there were holes between the speakers that have now been filled in. Albums I thought I knew pretty well now sound completely different and in a very good, expansive manner. Clarity is also much improved.

Your system looks sweet. It looks like you have an Ortofon SPU on the SME 3012. Which one, thoughts? I am doing my due diligence in looking for a cartridge to mount on the FR66S I purchased with this table. The prior owner had used an SPU but for now am considering Koetsu. Time will tell.

I like the color of your TT.

My friend in London has Fr 66 with various SPUs, Decca London, Koetsu Jade Diamond, and a Koetsu Urushi with the paratrace *+(mod from an UK company). We both prefer the Decca the most, I prefer the SPUs to the Jade, he likes the Jade but agrees with me why I don't like it is valid - it makes all his records sound the same after impressing on the first with good bass and fullness. I normally never liked any urushi but the one with the paratrace is good, and low cost, and I prefer it second the Decca. He also has different FR carts. They all play through an allnic phono but did not sound good when he had the lower model Allnic preamp (the preamp colored the cartridge sound), they could really be heard only when he replaced the Allnic preamp with Soulution preamp (that is sandwiched between Allnic phono and poweramp).

Reactions: matakana

Tirebiter

Jan 10, 2018
Golden CO
you've done a fantastic job with WAF. I bet this system sounds fantastic. Although not very flexible, I think the Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe is one of the jewels of the Lamm line, you should really give it a demo.

Thanks Jeffrey but have to ask, what is WAF?

I think the setup sounds pretty good but I don't have friends who are as fanatical as we are so I don't have other systems to compare mine to. All I have are my own incremental improvements to go by which is dangerous because I always have to wonder if I have reached the "limit". It is a circular hobby for once started there seems to be no end to it.

I do appreciate Lamm gear tube gear...and of course the tube aspect for my LL2 adds to the tube rolling tinker factor. I did some research on the LP2.1 last night and see what you refer to when saying it is not very flexible. One reason I like the B-Lab is that it automatically compensates for cartridge impedance loading and can readily measure the results using Analog Magik...the frequency response is flat as a pancake. I can also manually adjust gain up to about 74dB. Thus the B-Lab is in sharp contrast to the LP2.1 in that regard. But am intrigued to find a way to compare...as they say, the proof is in the pudding.

Brock

Reactions: Frank750

Tirebiter

Jan 10, 2018
Golden CO
I like the color of your TT.

My friend in London has Fr 66 with various SPUs, Decca London, Koetsu Jade Diamond, and a Koetsu Urushi with the paratrace *+(mod from an UK company). We both prefer the Decca the most, I prefer the SPUs to the Jade, he likes the Jade but agrees with me why I don't like it is valid - it makes all his records sound the same after impressing on the first with good bass and fullness. I normally never liked any urushi but the one with the paratrace is good, and low cost, and I prefer it second the Decca. He also has different FR carts. They all play through an allnic phono but did not sound good when he had the lower model Allnic preamp (the preamp colored the cartridge sound), they could really be heard only when he replaced the Allnic preamp with Soulution preamp (that is sandwiched between Allnic phono and poweramp).

Thanks for the info and clearly from your experience all components must play nicely together... ;)
WAF = Wife Acceptence Factor or
What Audio Fund?

Ha! Truth...!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I am so enamored of these Micro Seiki turntables, their sound, and their form, that I thought I would share some new photographs from various angles.

A good friend of mine upon hearing my table for one hour contacted DDK and asked him to find one for him. His will have the optional wood framed air base. Mine does not have that, so I made two custom 304 stainless steel platforms, separated for the motor and main chassis.

The turntable plus platforms weigh over 400 lbs and yet the form is so compact and elegant. The designers really knew what they were doing and David's description of "Beyond turntables" is IMO very apt.

_DSC9269.jpg

_DSC9286.jpg

_DSC9268.jpg

_DSC9318.jpg

Last edited:

Tirebiter

Jan 10, 2018
Golden CO
Peter, what material do the motor and TT feet rest on? Looks great!

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Are you still using O - rings under the steel plates ? How thick is the steel ? They look gorgeous !

Reactions: the sound of Tao

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Are you still using O - rings under the steel plates ? How thick is the steel ? They look gorgeous !

The turntable steel plates are 2 inches thick. The ones under every other piece of gear are 1 inch thick. Same material. They rest on rubber O-rings plus some stuff I had lying around. During the set up, David and I experimented with various combinations of type, number, and location to get the tone right.

Last edited:
Reactions: mtemur and Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
  • Wow
Reactions: PeterA

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Yes but they are unobtainable. Satyavan cut and shaped them from the virgin forests before reuniting with Savitri as she clung in fear of Maya.
Did they fully quantum your shims Peter or just cryo?

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I had a difficult time deciding between Uncle Oswald conditioning them in Royal Jelly or the student at Saint Trinians soaking them in her past scotch. I settled on the latter.
Lol… wise move Peter. I’m going to wrap mine in coils of twine aka applying some string theory :)

Reactions: tima and PeterA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing