Need advice on drilling Micro Seiki armboard

blackswan

Mar 17, 2021
I am going to install a Glanz MH-1200s on a Micro Seiki SX-5000 TT. I bought a blank gunmetal armboard on flea bay and need some help with getting a mounting hole drilled.

1. When measuring the center of the hole to be drilled, does it matter the mounting position of the armboard? For example, if the armboard is at the top right corner of the TT, the armboard can swivel between 9 o'clock to 6 o'clock.
2. What shops should I take it to get a hole drilled? A CNC machine shop?
3. In the PTA review (https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2020/09/27/glanz-mh-124s-premium-tonearm-review/), Richard Mak mentioned a counterbore? Am I right to think that I probably don't need the countersink since my armboard is thinner.

My last TT was a Linn with a Linn tonearm so this is new to me. Appreciate any help/advice.

- Ray

Attachments

• 1703015978449.png
    1703015978449.png
    972 KB · Views: 14

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
The tonearms I have mounted, and/or bored holes in arm boards for, have had templates or at least specs (spindle to pivot distance and overhang). This installation info has typically come from the arm manufacturer.

I suspect that that’s not a cheap arm or TT, so my advice would be to contact both companies for their help.

As for what machine shop to use, if you mark/layout the piece and give them instructions, just about any small shop that does engine upgrades should be able to handle it. It’s not rocket science.

Reactions: blackswan

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
A fixed vertical drill is enough to drill the holes. There is no need for a cnc. I recommend you to check P2S distance beforehand as suggested by @Another Johnson. Also check if tonearm’s collet fits the hole as well as other mounting gear.

rwwear

Dec 4, 2018
I am going to install a Glanz MH-1200s on a Micro Seiki SX-5000 TT. I bought a blank gunmetal armboard on flea bay and need some help with getting a mounting hole drilled.

1. When measuring the center of the hole to be drilled, does it matter the mounting position of the armboard? For example, if the armboard is at the top right corner of the TT, the armboard can swivel between 9 o'clock to 6 o'clock.
2. What shops should I take it to get a hole drilled? A CNC machine shop?
3. In the PTA review (https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2020/09/27/glanz-mh-124s-premium-tonearm-review/), Richard Mak mentioned a counterbore? Am I right to think that I probably don't need the countersink since my armboard is thinner.

My last TT was a Linn with a Linn tonearm so this is new to me. Appreciate any help/advice.

- Ray
I think if you use the template that should come with arm you will be able to correctly ascertain where the armboard can be located for proper geometry at two locations on the record fairly easily. Just make sure the stylus can maintain the proper overhang and tracking angle.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing