Best contemporary speaker under $100k for Lamm ML2.x type amplifiers?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
While the list above no doubt includes many fine examples, I saw nothing that really spoke to me. That might be a different conclusion based on actual listening!! The only Euro brand on that list I might consider is Karma. Posing my original question was not based on dissatisfaction with my current Lamm/Wilson setup. In a few years I'll consider moving to the Alexx v2 assuming that speaker happens; I confess to being very happy with their service and support. In the meantime I'm focusing more on improving my front-end electronics though I don't want to go into that here.

So no real insights from me, but thanks for asking. I envy your ability to travel as you have.

Thanks for the update. Perhaps at Axpona you can hear some of these brands. I have to say, Avantgarde, Stenheim, and Devore all have excellent service and support from my experience.

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
I made registration for Axpona 2020 half an hour ago.

I wish to go through updated speakers and some headphones there.

Last edited:

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
16'W x 20'L x 8'H ft

~4.9 x ~6.1 x ~2.4 m

I just bought myself a vintage Sonus faber Electa Amtor mk.1 speakers. They are 87dB, but 8 Ohm (6 Ohm minimum). I'm driving them with Graaf GM-20 OTL amp which is 20WPC in a room similar to yours 4.3 x 5.8m and they sound just superb.

IMO 18W with easy to drive 87-88dB speaker is doable in your room, but much depends on the type of music you are listening to.

Personally, I'm eagier to try the Fink Audio Borg speakers with my Graaf. They have been designed by Karl Heinz Fink - one of the most briliant speaker designers.

They thick all the right boxes for me:

- very easy to drive
- greater than avg sensitivity
- ribbon tweeter
- big paper woofer
- measure great

You can read a glowing review in HiFi Critic (an ad free mag):

https://www.finkteam.com/fttranslat...HFC_Borg_HRez2.ae2-brochure-low-res-red-1.pdf

I have heard them 3 or 4 times already and always have been impressed. I would love to try them with my Graaf OTL amp.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I just bought myself a vintage Sonus faber Electa Amtor mk.1 speakers. They are 87dB, but 8 Ohm (6 Ohm minimum). I'm driving them with Graaf GM-20 OTL amp which is 20WPC in a room similar to yours 4.3 x 5.8m and they sound just superb.

IMO 18W with easy to drive 87-88dB speaker is doable in your room, but much depends on the type of music you are listening to.

Personally, I'm eagier to try the Fink Audio Borg speakers with my Graaf. They have been designed by Karl Heinz Fink - one of the most briliant speaker designers.

- very easy to drive
- ribbon tweeter
- big paper woofer
- measure great

https://www.finkteam.com/fttranslat...HFC_Borg_HRez2.ae2-brochure-low-res-red-1.pdf

I have heard them 3 or 4 times already and always have been impressed. I would love to try them with my Graaf OTL amp.
Graaf GM20 is a great amp! Try it with something like Odeon or Ref 3A.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
14199418_765405383562758_3443492278705146490_n.jpg

Reactions: hogen

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
The Borgs are great - heard them in Munich a couple of times and found them really engaging and a rare combination of sweet treble and impactful bass. When I had a guess at the price though, I was quite disappointed, although this happens a lot at Munich!

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
The Borgs are great - heard them in Munich a couple of times and found them really engaging and a rare combination of sweet treble and impactful bass. When I had a guess at the price though, I was quite disappointed, although this happens a lot at Munich!

Resistance is futile!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Tiny speaker system... :D
in my dream system I have it paired with direct treated triode. Iwould build a room modeled after Steve Williams' old room.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
in my dream system I have it paired with direct treated triode. Iwould build a room modeled after Steve Williams' old room.

That's a nice dream...:cool:

In my main system (SETs and horns) I use only direct heated triode. I do have a couple of interesting amps in my secondary system, a SEP (EL34) and a push/pull Class A triode (EL84 wired in triode) but neither is remotely close to my Aries Cerat Genus.

Reactions: Gregadd

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

- very easy to drive
- ribbon tweeter
- big paper woofer
- measure great

That Fink is an interesting speaker but it is surprising that it has a lowish sensitivity given what looks like a pro driver (these are usually up to around 94-96db for a 10 inch driver) mid/bass and an AMT driver that is also well over 90db in senstivity (maybe even closer to 100db). This means that they have likely padded down both drivers in the attempt to optimize the frequency response I would imagine. This means then that quite a lot of power is lost in the crossover but it also means that the drivers are not working very hard and could still deliver some "jump".

We see this in our Dynamikks Athos 10 model. It is rated at 91db (in passive mode...half active is 97db) due to the woofer not having such a high sensitivity (the coax "head" unit is much more sensitive). The speaker has serious effortless dynamics and relaxed presentation with high resolution despite having still a somewhat conventional sensitivity.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
We heard the Cubus' together in Munich for the first time and I was blown away :eek:
I don't remember what amps they used back then but I think they where at least hybrids or even full tube?
In later years they changed to mola mola amps and all the magic was gone completely :rolleyes:

Some time later, I once schlepped my "little" KR 350i to a proud Cubus owner and while it was VERY good already with his hybrid amps (made by Mr. Lansche himself), they completely transformed driven by my little KR 350i 30 watts/ch from excellent to magical o_O
Very palpable, immediate and dynamic, just magical :D

For those who have heard both, how does the Lansche Cubus compare to the Odeon No. 33?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
For those who have heard both, how does the Lansche Cubus compare to the Odeon No. 33?
You probably don't want to know :oops:
But then again, the Cubus is more than double the price of the 33 :eek:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
That's what I was afraid of.
Then why ask :oops:
And the Cubus' are very big double-side by side-coffins :rolleyes:
The 33 are way more elegant, especially in matte white with white high gloss horns :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Exlibris

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Fun thread.
One of the most impressive speakers I heard at AXPONA was the Vimberg Tonda
https://vimberg.de/

Vimberg is the sister company of Tidal (same build quality at a fraction of the cost) and the reviews are stellar. Prices are an impressive 31K and 25K for the Tonda and Mino respectively. Don't know if the ~90 dB sensitivity will work but the Tonda (right) is a heck of a speaker

Screen Shot 2019-12-17 at 4.00.09 PM.png

Reactions: Gregadd

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Then why ask :oops:
And the Cubus is a very big double-side by side-coffins :rolleyes:
The 33 are way more elegant, especially in matte white with white high gloss horns :cool:

I'm not a fan of Acapella speakers but I have been impressed by their Ion tweeter. I imagine the plasma tweeter in the Cubus sounds fantastic.
I also like the idea of the 18" woofer. I had imagined that both of these would perform well beyond the Odeon 33 or 38.
Is the horn midrange of the Cubus, however, vastly better than the Odeon models as well?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I'm not a fan of Acapella speakers but I have been impressed by their Ion tweeter. I imagine the plasma tweeter in the Cubus sounds fantastic.
I also like the idea of the 18" woofer. I had imagined that both of these would perform well beyond the Odeon 33 or 38.
Is the horn midrange of the Cubus, however, vastly better than the Odeon models as well?
From memory, I would say that the mids are the area where they are the most similar

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
You probably don't want to know :oops:
But then again, the Cubus is more than double the price of the 33 :eek:
Not so sure the gap is that large. I had a customer with the predecessor of Cubus, Goa, and even with KR Kronzillas on it I wouldn’t swear it was better than a 33. Only heard Cubus at shows with you and I agree it was pretty darn good...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing