Being Installed on Friday!

DonH50

Member Sponsor & WBF Technical Expert
Jun 22, 2010
Monument, CO
Arcing will very quickly hole (destroy) gold plating. Arcing will happen every time you install or remove a plug with current applied (i.e. power switch on). However, that should not be a significant issue for a power plug IF the equipment is off when plugging in or out. There are a lot of very good reasons to NOT plug in (or unplug) a component with the power on, and that is one of them.

For musical instruments gold is not plated on brass as we want a harder finish underneath, thus gold plating is usually applied over silver. For electrical contacts, I usually see gold applied over nickel or chrome alloys as they are harder than silver. However, no matter the undercoat, an arc can wipe out the gold in the region of the arc.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Which is why I chose the Rhodium version...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I am installing the Rhodium version of the GTX-D this weekend... good bye Hubbell

i have 10 Furutech GTX-D Rhodium outlets in my system. they replaced Oyaide R-1's a couple of years ago. the GTX-D 'R''s are quite a bit better even than the R-1's. i was able to turn my tweeter gain up a notch on my MM3 speakers since the 'hash' from the R-1's was gone. better bass articulation, blacker backgrounds, more ambient information. i initially installed 5 and then compared the new GTX-D's directly to the R-1's. no contest.

drop the R-1's on a counter top and you hear a 'ring' as all the loose pieces rattle. the GTX-D's 'thud' on the counter top, solid as a rock. it's metalurgically better and mechanically better.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
i have 10 Furutech GTX-D Rhodium outlets in my system. they replaced Oyaide R-1's a couple of years ago. the GTX-D 'R''s are quite a bit better even than the R-1's. i was able to turn my tweeter gain up a notch on my MM3 speakers since the 'hash' from the R-1's was gone. better bass articulation, blacker backgrounds, more ambient information. i initially installed 5 and then compared the new GTX-D's directly to the R-1's. no contest.

Thanks... Right, I compared the GTX specs with the R1's, and the latter still use a beryllium copper alloy, not pure copper. And the GTX clamping mechanism is ingenious, though not really worthy of a patent in my view.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Thanks... Right, I compared the GTX specs with the R1's, and the latter still use a beryllium copper alloy, not pure copper. And the GTX clamping mechanism is ingenious, though not really worthy of a patent in my view.

the clamping system, with the stainless spring providing gripping power to the pure copper is a big part of what it does. also; it does not scrape the plating off your plugs like the R-1 did it gripped so hard.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Haven't seen one

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I didn't order a cover plate. I will use the one I currently have that matches the rest of the decor. Frankly, I have never looked at 30A outlets. Call http://www.vhaudio.com and see if they can suggest something.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
GTX installed, system warming up again. Lighter than the Hubbell, not as easy to loop the wire around the screws, but with a little extra effort it's not a big deal; didn't try the option to insert the wires in the back. Its grip is incredible, trying to unplug is an exercise in bras de fer! I did take an initial listen - who wouldn't - but I'll save my comments for later. All I can tell you right now is that I am thinking about an Equi=Tech 2Q next, for non-amplifier components.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike or Peter

Does Furutech make a 30 amp version of the GTX-D Rhodium outlets. I am noticing that it is a 20 amp receptacle

here is my understanding of how it works.

it's the breaker and the wire that is significant in terms of rating.

The breaker protects the wiring, NOT what is plugged in. and A 20 amp duplex outlet has 2 20 amp outlets so clearly it is designed to handle more than 20 amps.

what i'm trying to say is that if your circuit is 30 amp rated a 20 amp rated outlet is fine. i've not seen different 20 amp and 30 amp outlets.

but i'm just relating my non-techie view of things. hopefully someone who actually knows about these things will provide a more credible answer.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
I haven't either and that is why I asked

Any recommendations on a 30 amp AC receptacle

Also, which of the Furutech cover plates are you using

I didn't order a cover plate. I will use the one I currently have that matches the rest of the decor. Frankly, I have never looked at 30A outlets. Call http://www.vhaudio.com and see if they can suggest something.

i'm using the Oyaide WPC-Z Duplex outlet covers that i had been using on my Oyaide R-1 outlets. these were installed about 18 months ago. now there is a Furutech outlet cover on the market that i am told is even better 'sounding' than the Oyaide WPC-Z's.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
GTX installed, system warming up again. Lighter than the Hubbell, not as easy to loop the wire around the screws, but with a little extra effort it's not a big deal; didn't try the option to insert the wires in the back. Its grip is incredible, trying to unplug is an exercise in bras de fer! I did take an initial listen - who wouldn't - but I'll save my comments for later. All I can tell you right now is that I am thinking about an Equi=Tech 2Q next, for non-amplifier components.

It'll take a little time--just as rewiring does--to settle in also!

I'm just finishing my review--but in my system, the difference was night and day.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
i'm using the Oyaide WPC-Z Duplex outlet covers that i had been using on my Oyaide R-1 outlets. these were installed about 18 months ago. now there is a Furutech outlet cover on the market that i am told is even better 'sounding' than the Oyaide WPC-Z's.

Frankly, I am not buying that electromagnetic shielding claim by Oyaide. I use a metal plate and I can't see how CFRP can better this. If nothing else, you use metal to build a Faraday cage, not plastic.

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I'm going to remove Oyaide R1 with WPC-Z outlet covers and install Furutech GTX-D outlets with the Furutech plate and graphite covers this weekend if I have time. These outlets feed my two amps. Already have 2 GTX-D serving the front end. Chris at VH Audio also offers a 6 day cook on the outlets for $15. Well worth the money. The Oyaides took a good 2 weeks to break in. I didn't believe it either but you could hear them changing frequently over the course of time.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I also been using a GTX for almost two year's.
Once you have a good installation, it is a no look back option as far as I am concern.

Ditto but not optional. A necessity!

mep

Apr 20, 2010

here is my understanding of how it works.

it's the breaker and the wire that is significant in terms of rating.

That is true as long as the wire is sized appropriately for the breaker. For instance, you should never wire 14/2 with ground to a 20A breaker.

The breaker protects the wiring, NOT what is plugged in. and A 20 amp duplex outlet has 2 20 amp outlets so clearly it is designed to handle more than 20 amps.

I don't believe that is true. Both outlets from the duplex are wired in parallel. If either outlet or both combined exceed a 20A draw, the breaker will trip. You can't draw 20A from each outlet. There is only 20A available for both outlets combined.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing