1.2 MB · Views: 26

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Just to let you know Swings have sold.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Ok the Swings are sold, post the DIY photo!

Not ready for prime time yet, Jeff. I will keep you posted though for sure but suffice to say I am v excited lol.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Not ready for prime time yet, Jeff. I will keep you posted though for sure but suffice to say I am v excited lol.
Any hints Bill, fully subscribed here.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Reactions: the sound of Tao

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Never got a chance to hear the Swings at Bill's. Shame, there are so few chances to hear a range of good, and esp affordable, horns in the UK. Have heard Trios once, Liszts 3x, Animas 2x, (plus Blue58's Duos many times). The Swings I would love to have experienced, but our diaries never quite matched.

No doubt they're a steal at £10k, as Bill says nothing gets close at that price. Ked missed a golden opportunity. Me? They may well not have made it into my room due to access issues. And I remain unconvinced that the totality of the horn sound is for me. For Ked's musical tastes, a slam dunk.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Reactions: Audiophile Bill

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Most audio equipment is not ready for prime time yet. The fancy ones people buy are not ready for prime time either, horns or otherwise. The looks and price tags tell them if it is prime time. So if you put on a finish and a price tag, people will not be able to distinguish if yours is prime time or not irrespective of whether it is or not.

Last edited:

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
The feedback and photos Bill has shared with me are both extremely promising and his prototypes already look rather more attractive than a number of horn speakers presently being sold. I quite suspect his finished article will be a rather compelling proposition and wish him every success with it!

Last edited:

Dr. Smooth

Feb 8, 2021
Bill, good afternoon,

more than 15 years ago I had a visit at BD DEsign and have fallen in love with berts speakers.

Now I do have received an offer to buying a pair of swing mk 5.

Would you be so kind and contact me via PM because I do want to ask some questions regarding your experience with these speakers that would lead to far in an open forum. If you prefer to write here, happy to do so.

In a nutshell: would you be able to describe the sound of the swing compared to other speakers You have owned; Do you see any issues (beside poor sounding records ;-) for the use of them? Any amp suggestion?

Best,
Dr. Smooth

anubisgrau

Mar 2, 2015
I heard these before at Bert's when I wanted to hear the swings. These are voiced on 30w SS gainclone amps, and imo lack decay and midbass thump (and oomph) but have big planar like soundstage. I am not surprised Mani says he preferred his swings acoustically as well, another guy in EU owns the swings and he mentioned the wings were voiced with valves and had much more bass thump. I would have loved to hear the below with low watt sets and analog. He is very flexible though, these are active, can be made passive, for external amps, etc

View attachment 48266

Could be it was me who told you that the first pair of Swings (MkI) was voiced on WE91 300B amp. I bought them off the guy who worked together with Bert on them, they were later improved to MkII with outboard MkII crossover and changed bass system.

Need to find some of the pics I did earlier. My room is currently messy and not not fit for photos :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing