Balanced interconnects for headphone system: Wireworld Platinum 8 or Transparent Ultra etc?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
IanB - what headphones/amp are you listening to now?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
With the HD800s I think you will have less treble ear fatigue with the Ultra and a more lush sound. On the other hand, the Prion 4 has more deep bass. The HP4 is a little on the warmer side, no? (haven't used one). That might complement a silver cable as well.

I sold my HD800s a couple years ago, but from memory the Prion 4 cable is actually heavier than those headphones. Ha!
Hi Ian B,

Given that I prefer to err on the side of less treble than too much...I am considering TA Ultra and Lazuli Reference (not the higher models which all have silver and by all the reviews sometimes are at risk of becoming too much detail).

Since it appears you have owned both, do you have any comments on how they compare? My sense of your earlier comments was that the Prion 4 was different from the Lazuli Ref but in your own words 'better (but different)'...therefore probably in a higher league. By association then with the Prior4...do you also feel the TA Ultra is also in that same higher league than the Lazuli Ref? (By the time you import, look at discounting, etc, the TA Ultra and Lazuli Ref may end up being the same price given the length I need where the TA does not proportionately increase in length as you go long.

Thank you for any guidance!!!

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Ordered the TA Ultra Headphone cable...needing 25' means impedance issues however minor may start to affect bass response (which on the 800S is already a weakpoint). And TA are known for adjusting each cable for electrical/impedance based on equipment and length of cable. In this case, they dont do equipment matching having explained to me that they dont think its of material enough benefit to do so. However, they DO adjust for impedance differences relating to length of the cable so 2m should sound virtually identical to 7.5m.

We shall see!

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Ordered the TA Ultra Headphone cable...needing 25' means impedance issues however minor may start to affect bass response (which on the 800S is already a weakpoint). And TA are known for adjusting each cable for electrical/impedance based on equipment and length of cable. In this case, they dont do equipment matching having explained to me that they dont think its of material enough benefit to do so. However, they DO adjust for impedance differences relating to length of the cable so 2m should sound virtually identical to 7.5m.

We shall see!
Did they explain how this achieved ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi. TA uses their network boxes apparently to adjust something inside...resistors, etc?...to adjust for length of all of their cables.

As for cost, the interesting thing that Franz Kuzma once told me was that TA are very expensive at ordinary lengths but actually even out very well as lengths get longer because their incremental costs dont go up that much.

In the case of many headphone cables, once you add up 7.5m worth, the cost of many cables (Lazuli, Prion 4, etc) end up way more than the cost of the headphone. The excellent Cardas Cross is still about half the cost of the headphone (at least at the price we paid).

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin

We shall see!

Curious what you think ! Please post ....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hey Jfrech,

For sure! Normally, delivery is 1-2 weeks but given the state of the world, TA said they are quoting 3-4 weeks (which irritates their innate commitment to speed/service they said)...but that is the safest time estimate they said they can make today. Cables (particularly this length) are made to order.

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
Hi Ian B,

Given that I prefer to err on the side of less treble than too much...I am considering TA Ultra and Lazuli Reference (not the higher models which all have silver and by all the reviews sometimes are at risk of becoming too much detail).

Since it appears you have owned both, do you have any comments on how they compare? My sense of your earlier comments was that the Prion 4 was different from the Lazuli Ref but in your own words 'better (but different)'...therefore probably in a higher league. By association then with the Prior4...do you also feel the TA Ultra is also in that same higher league than the Lazuli Ref? (By the time you import, look at discounting, etc, the TA Ultra and Lazuli Ref may end up being the same price given the length I need where the TA does not proportionately increase in length as you go long.

Thank you for any guidance!!!
Apologies for missing your post. I hope the TA is working well for you. I found the Lazuli reference sounded like a more refined version of the copper upgrade cables for my Meze Empyrean (my main headphone currently). It was very midrange focused, and at the time it was a little too much. The TA is easier on the ears, but my not as sharp and fast or extended. The Prion 4 has more resolution, width and extension, and the upper midrange is somewhat tamed. It is to a degree a matter of pairing with silver or copper, but the Prion 4 stands out as the better overall to me, and the TA Ultra is good in a unique way, more musical and smooth than typical copper cable.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great stuff! Thank you for that...very helpful.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing