Transparent Audio Super & Ultra cables

Daverich4

May 8, 2020
I'm not sure this is the right place to do this because I'm asking for assistance with "What's Better", not "What's Best". At any rate, I'm hoping to get some advice on upgrading my interconnects and speaker cables. I'm currently using Audioquest Colorado balanced interconnects and Audioquest Castle Rock speaker cables to wire up my system of Audio Research Ref 6 preamp, Ref 75SE power amp and Wilson Audio Sasha ll speakers. Transparent Audio products seem to come up often in connection with Wilson speakers but an extensive search of the posts here mostly comes up with discussions of their Reference & Opus product lines. Those cost more than I'm prepared to invest in my system at this time. I'm writing to see if anyone has had experience with their Super or Ultra product lines or at least any thoughts on their suitability for my system. Or, perhaps some alternative suggestions for something else that's not more than the Ultra price range?

I'm pretty much flying blind (deaf?) here as I live just outside of Charlotte, NC and the only audio store in the area is mostly home theatre with mid-fi two channel stuff. That leaves them out as a place to audition anything. The Cable Co has a rental program but doesn't carry Transparent. If someone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Hi Dave,

IF you think you are going to explore the "wire jungle" and likely buy some new cables, the Cable Company (CC) is pretty hard to beat given their extensive inventory. Be advised that once you provide CC with money, there's no refund and you are committed to buying something from CC.

First question you should ask yourself. What is it that I don't like about the sound of my system and will changing wires resolve that issue? If you can't answer that, I'd proceed very cautiously before spending any of your money.

You are wise to pursue a "home audition" and remember that only you can decide what wire is best regardless of any advice given on this site or elsewhere. Good luck.

Last edited:

Daverich4

May 8, 2020
Hi Dave,

IF you think you are going to explore the "wire jungle" and likely buy some new cables, the Cable Company (CC) is pretty hard to beat given their extensive inventory. Be advised that once you provide CC with money, there's no refund and you are committed to buying something from CC.

First question you should ask yourself. What is it that I don't like about the sound of my system and will changing wires resolve that issue? If you can't answer that, I'd proceed very cautiously before spending any of your money.

You are wise to pursue a "home audition" and remember that only you can decide what wire is best regardless of any advice given on this site or elsewhere. Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Cable Co, however, as I mentioned in my post they don’t carry Transparent Audio products. However, if someone suggests a product line they do carry I would certainly give them a try.

Reactions: Nascimento

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
It might be worth giving Transparent a call. They might know a dealer that will let you demo. I think Taralabs offers a direct demo plan. Maybe transparent can offer you a demo set as well.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Daverich4,

I have owned several generations of Transparent over the last 12 years...nearly all of it second hand or at steep discounts. I have also auditioned a couple generations of Ultra. My personal viewpoint has consistently been:

1. Buy 2nd hand if you can
2. Buy Reference of an older generation rather than sub-Reference of the newest generation at new pricing

I have owned Ref (pre XL), Ref XL, Ref XL MM2, and then most recently upgraded due a few knockout opportunities to Opus largely the latest Gen 5.

For some reason when I compared with Ultra, for some reason while I could hear where the latest generation at the time had some improvements, overall I found the Reference of the earlier generation more affordable, more balanced, and somehow 'polished' and clear in a way that the newest version of the sub-Reference level could not quite deliver.

While my thoughts do NOT provide you with any insight into how to audition, hopefully it helps give you some options around where you may wish to look. Good hunting.

Daverich4

May 8, 2020
Hi Daverich4,

I have owned several generations of Transparent over the last 12 years...nearly all of it second hand or at steep discounts. I have also auditioned a couple generations of Ultra. My personal viewpoint has consistently been:

1. Buy 2nd hand if you can
2. Buy Reference of an older generation rather than sub-Reference of the newest generation at new pricing

I have owned Ref (pre XL), Ref XL, Ref XL MM2, and then most recently upgraded due a few knockout opportunities to Opus largely the latest Gen 5.

For some reason when I compared with Ultra, for some reason while I could hear where the latest generation at the time had some improvements, overall I found the Reference of the earlier generation more affordable, more balanced, and somehow 'polished' and clear in a way that the newest version of the sub-Reference level could not quite deliver.

While my thoughts do NOT provide you with any insight into how to audition, hopefully it helps give you some options around where you may wish to look. Good hunting.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'm under the impression that the Reference Series cables can be tuned to your system. If so, is that something you had done?

Reactions: Bobvin

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks for your suggestions. I'm under the impression that the Reference Series cables can be tuned to your system. If so, is that something you had done?
The older Reference series did NOT get calibrated to your system. So those were the ones I owned. Since then, due to some incredibly attractive opportunities, my Opus cables ARE calibrated to the system. You might wish to look at the factory recertified cables...unlike equipment with lots of moving parts where recertified might be a euphemism for 'it broke, we couldnt fix it so we gave the customer a new one...and now are selling this 'recertified' ", a cable recertified is a way to bring up the price of something that in fact is in perfectly good working order but deeply discounted in the open market. And THEN you get calibration.

DiWil

Jul 27, 2021
South of Deux Sevres, France
We bought this for £4,400 in 1968 and Husband moved in on the 10th November 1968..I was in labour with our 1st baby and he got the place that was a wreck when I saw it last..comfy, very organised.

Moved out in 2000 and sold the Beddington home for £135,000..noted two years ago it sold for just under £600,000...Moved to the coast..Bexhill on Sea, East Sussex....Paid £119,000
When we moved from Bexhill On Sea the year, 2014 to SW France..we sold for £233,000 and purchased a wonderful home in France for 146.000 Euros = £125,000.
only Photo I could find at hand...but we got a great area to make a really garden which was a priority for us....

1627499648952.jpeg

Attachments

• 1627497178875.jpeg
    1627497178875.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 9

Mmeeks100

Dec 10, 2020
All of the following is in regard to the Gen 5 Transparent cables. I have no experience yet with the new Gen 6 line. I have owned the the Super, Ultra, and now the Reference interconnects, speaker cables, and power cords. I have no plans to go beyond the Reference line due to the cost, as was noted by the OP. In terms of bang for the buck, my experience is that the Ultra line is hard to beat. It is well worth the money over the Super line. Just better at almost everything. The Reference line is wonderful upgrade over the Ultra, but the rest of your system needs to be at a level that shows what the Reference line can do. For me, that was when I went from Focal Kanta 2s to Rockport Avior IIs. You will have to be the judge of that for your system.

Also, now is a great time to get used Gen 5 cables due to the arrival of the Gen 6 line. I have seen dealers who are ordering in new Gen 6 cables offering nice deals on their old stock. Soon I would expect to see individuals offering up then Gen 5 stuff.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi, I just scanned the comments above, so may have missed something. Super and Ultra used to have Hi Z and Low Z, which more more tuning for solid state and/or tubes. So it does have some of the tuning but not precisely calibrated like LL21 said above.

A dealer can likely mail you a loom of Super to try out. I would highly recommend this, heard in your system, is the best way to make a decision.

You can buy certified used from Transparent dealers also. Only a guess, but I imagine that Super Gen 6 is equal to or close to Reference Gen 5. Super or Ultra are the best bang for the bucks imho. Good luck !

spearl8

Sep 16, 2021
I just upgraded from music wave gen 5 to super gen 6 speaker cables. The supers are physically much heavier and thicker. Right out of the gate it was a significant upgrade in every way. I could easily live with this level on my Salon 2’s. Can’t even imagine there are 5 more levels up. Can’t beat Transparent for their upgrade program. I worked directly with Transparent.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I just upgraded from music wave gen 5 to super gen 6 speaker cables. The supers are physically much heavier and thicker. Right out of the gate it was a significant upgrade in every way. I could easily live with this level on my Salon 2’s. Can’t even imagine there are 5 more levels up. Can’t beat Transparent for their upgrade program. I worked directly with Transparent.
Agree.there upgrade path is also excellent.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Welcome to WBF. I bet that was a big/nice upgrade! Congratulations !

spearl8

Sep 16, 2021
Thank you. Yes it was a huge upgrade. I am also using Transparent Premium jumpers which seem to mate well.

Reactions: Hmart

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing