Avantgarde Trio Luxury VS Tannoy Kingdom Royal

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Hard to say I think. I did use the Engstrom Eric's too which are 70w, same as the Kodas and they were much more powerful sounding than the Kaguras but the tone of the Kodas was warmer than the Engstrom and so I went for the Kodas.
Interesting that the Engstroms were less warm sounding than the Kodas. I have experienced this with some other hybrid amps, including the NAT Symbiosis SE that I had, which was a quite unique single ended hybrid and was warmish sounding but still highly resolved. My own Aries Cerat amplifier is not super warm sounding (especially compared to Kondo or Shindo) either but I like that it allows all the tonal palette through without too much editorializing.

Reactions: howiebrou

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Interesting that the Engstroms were less warm sounding than the Kodas. I have experienced this with some other hybrid amps, including the NAT Symbiosis SE that I had, which was a quite unique single ended hybrid and was warmish sounding but still highly resolved. My own Aries Cerat amplifier is not super warm sounding (especially compared to Kondo or Shindo) either but I like that it allows all the tonal palette through without too much editorializing.
Would love to hear an Aries Cerat one day.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Would love to hear an Aries Cerat one day.
When you are ready for final stop amps then you must consider AC. Their new TriodeFet Monos or Concero65 signature would be Ideal for your speakers.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Hi all,
I am starting the build of my second system downstairs. I’ve already got Kondo Ongaku amp, Kondo G70 preamp and Kronos Pro with Black Beauty Turntable. I’ve auditioned the Avantgarde Uno and Tannoy Canterbury, I liked and impressed by both but found the Canterbury is a bit veiled compared to the Avantgarde. The dealer said Kingdom Royal doesn’t have that veiled feeling but no stock, must buy and order to listen to one, same with Avantgarde Trio Luxury 26. Both will be a blind purchase if I go ahead. Please advise between the two.

BTW: my dealer also offered to audition the Wolf Van Langa 33221 flagship horn speaker but it’s so huge and boxy I don’t like the design.
What did you end up with? I would have gone with the tannoy kingdom royal which I have heard and liked them over the west ministers .

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing