Audiophile Fuses

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
My three years of part time Electrical & Electronic Engineering at Ryerson Polytechnic Institute,
Toronto shouldn't qualify me change anyone's viewpoint on the audibility of fuses and directionality
(the slide rule and abacus will stay in the drawer) so here goes my rambling.

Fuses are like very small versions of audio interconnects or cables, being conductors
within a dielectric (casing) and terminated at both ends by connectors assembled from
dissimilar materials. These products, as are the others in an audio system can be to an extent
microphonic and should incorporate design and materials to reduce this type of distortion.
It seems rational to consider this a basic practice to have a purer electrical signal from the onset
and not have an impure distorted power being amplified with a musical signal. IMHO "An ounce of medicine is worth a pound of cure."

From the theory that I can still remember (30 years + now) there is an effect at play where the signal (electrons) are partially reflected when the electrons cross dissimilar mediums, This is similar to particle wave theory where sound and light reflect upon encountering a different medium. This I believe is related to Tony Ma's and Don H's attempts or experiments to reduce the amount of transfer/ connector points and lessen distortion. Like Tony I had chosen a tone arm with built in phono cable to
avoid the extra (single) connector.

The fuses in my audio system were installed one at a time with a line conditioner and premium electrical receptacle already in the electrical path. With each installation there was I felt discernible positive improvement. These fuses with a silver conductor mirror my interest in the use of silver in the audio signal path.

For those who need to hear with their own ears try this. Sell enough CDs, the ones you never play
anyway to buy a premium fuse or borrow if you can. Record or burn a test track from a digital playback
device then replace the fuse with a "broken in" premium fuse and record the track again. This way
you are able to playback comparison tracks without unplugging downtime!

Several posts question whether there is value for the cost of these pieces of snake oil. From my
experience as a user of Hi-Fi Tuning Gold fuses for several years is that they are easily justifiable
for there cost and the benefit is compounded with their use in more than one component. For reducing
distortion they are worth their weight in unobtanium and offer exceptional return for the amount spent.
From my point of view these small devices are mini line conditioners. I will never be able to say this
about another product where great effort, premium materials, SOTA manufacturing and tooling are
applied with the same principle in mind that being the reduction of unwanted distortion. The Magico
Q5 has "400 or so parts just to hold it together", half inch thick aluminum panels and "X' pounds of
aluminum cabinet and who knows what else whose purpose is to reduce distortion. If I was an owner
(I almost made to RMAF 2011 to hear these an other speakers for possible buying) I would question
how much of my Magico Q5 (or any megabuck transducer) buck went into managing distortion.
Though I'm certain that the Magico folks and other hi end companies are all addressing their own
power and electrical management.
To me the irony here is some of this unwanted distortion may have been reduced or possibly
eliminated by using a premium fuse. Once again, IMHO "An ounce of medicine is worth a pound of cure."

Ask any doctor!
Is there one in the house?

Reactions: barryr1

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
IMHO "An ounce of medicine is worth a pound of cure."?
Spot on!! Unless all, I repeat, all, the little things are taken care of, then all the monstrously expensive equipment will do is magnify, brilliantly highlight the defects. There is talk of reel to reel tape decks being pretty hopeless until all the old and rubbishy electrical parts are discarded; the same is exactly true for every element in the audio setup: some things may be more obvious than others, but unless they are dealt with one can never achieve the sound potential that's possible ...

Frank

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Generally speaking some benefit may be derived from just removing the fuses and reinstalling them. This would make an excellent control group.

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
Hi Les

Do you use the fuses in preamp, amp or both

Everywhere! I began with the preamp as it was central in the audio chain. All sources pass through it and into the power amp. I gave each new fuse one week to break in. Then replaced the original fuse and test via digital playback (for consistency). Copied about one minute of a Dire Strait's track with each fuse. Then added fuses one by one to remaining sources. I used a Pioneer CD burner to record analogue sources; FM and open reel with and without the premium fuses.
That's why I feel there benefit is compound. The Pioneer used one of the short type. I went crazy buying these. I use four in each of my Technics decks ;-(
But it's gonna hurt when a tube amp goes! Twice in four years.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Well, if you want to go hard core, which is what I've done, you solder the fuses into the holders. I couldn't listen very long to equipment that hasn't had that done, the difference is too dramatic. A halfway house that's essentially as good is to use a silver contact treatment, very, very carefully on them.

Frank

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
Well, if you want to go hard core, which is what I've done, you solder the fuses into the holders. I couldn't listen very long to equipment that hasn't had that done, the difference is too dramatic. A halfway house that's essentially as good is to use a silver contact treatment, very, very carefully on them.

Frank

Sounds like a case of downunderkill to me!
Silver solder?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Yeah, it really bugs me when the fuses aren't soldered in place. You can hear the fuses rattle around in the fuse holder and the whole sound loses focus and stability. What were the manufacturers thinking?

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Mark, that remark turns out to be quite amusing: friend has a new Naim Nait, which he wasn't going to pull the lid off in case warranty issues occurred, but finally that period ended. Had a good look inside and guess what was the lone thing "wrong" underneath? Main fuse was quite loose in its holder, sorted it out, and of course the sound then did improve somewhat, bass in particular.

No, not silver solder, silver contact enhancement pastes, etc.

Actually the real silliness in the industry is that they use super expensive spades and similar, and terminal posts on speakers and amplifiers. All that's necessary is to use clip type arrangements, the same as used for fuses, the fact that they pass the same level of current means they must be perfectly adequate. Ohh, ooh, sorry, that's not going to work! The sound systems "knows" that the connections outside the case where they're obvious and need to look impressive are much more important than anything on the inside of the case; so if you don't spend a lot of money on those very sexy looking connectors then the sound quality will suffer badly.

Sorry, I forgot how intelligent audio electronics were ...

Frank

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Yeah, it really bugs me when the fuses aren't soldered in place. You can hear the fuses rattle around in the fuse holder and the whole sound loses focus and stability. What were the manufacturers thinking?

Mep,

Most of the time if you hear a fuse rattling in equipment it is either the spare fuse fuse in the spare position or a lost fuse in the equipment. :)

More seriously, if an operating fuse rattles, it is due to a fault, and the fuse holder should be urgently replaced.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Myles-I do think that RAM raised some serious points, and that is the safety of the fuses. They have not been approved by any of the usual suspects (UL etc) to meet their stated specifications for ratings. They may or may not protect your gear in the case of different types of electrical failures. I guess a litmus test would be how many manufacturers will still warranty you gear if you use those Hifi tuning fuses.

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Well I haven't heard of any that won't.

Additionally, what does it cost to have fuses tested by UL. Might find that it would cost more than they make on selling the fuses.

If the HTF fuses in your PLC don't react to an overload and the unit
explodes, catches fire and burns your apartment down, and your insurance
company says they're not going to pay because the fuses weren't UL approved,
will SCA or HTF cover the damages?

Last edited:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I just personally think that Roger M. brought up some great points regarding how fuses are supposed to work and that normal name brand fuses all have certification from testing agencies and they provide specifications for their electrical parameters. Roger’s point was that the manufacturer of the HiFi tuning fuses provides no such documentation or certification. I have lots of respect for Roger’s engineering capabilities.

In other words, a fuse is just more than a piece of wire attached to a connecting point on each end. There is actually science behind how each rated fuse is supposed to react for the application it is used for. It appears this science may be lacking with the Hifi fuses and they damn sure could cause all sorts of problems depending on the circuit they are installed in.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I just personally think that Roger M. brought up some great points regarding how fuses are supposed to work and that normal name brand fuses all have certification from testing agencies and they provide specifications for their electrical parameters. Roger’s point was that the manufacturer of the HiFi tuning fuses provides no such documentation or certification. I have lots of respect for Roger’s engineering capabilities.

In other words, a fuse is just more than a piece of wire attached to a connecting point on each end. There is actually science behind how each rated fuse is supposed to react for the application it is used for. It appears this science may be lacking with the Hifi fuses and they damn sure could cause all sorts of problems depending on the circuit they are installed in.

Better be safe than sorry especially for suspect to non-existent sonic gains

jap

Banned
Apr 6, 2012
Are you saying fuses can't degrade the sound of a component?

If so I suggest removing the fuse on the tweeter of the magnepans. I did when modding it and the fuse clearly screws up the sound.

I don't question that some fuses could degrade SQ, but the only upgraded fuses that I would try in my gear are the Furutech TFs, which have Safety approvals: PSE, CE, UL.

PS- Are you planning to review the SCA PLC? Maybe you could try it with and without
HTFs.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Looking for fuses, blew the gold plated ones and want to replace with large type standard fuses. Is there a good source for fuses , what brand are you guys using (non GP) I need 8/10amp fuses...without spending 30 /fuse , well unless I have to ..

Regards

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Are you saying fuses can't degrade the sound of a component?

If so I suggest removing the fuse on the tweeter of the magnepans. I did when modding it and the fuse clearly screws up the sound.

I think comparing fuses in the audio signal path and fuses in the AC power line, path is like comparing apples and oranges.

I have no doubt the presence of a fuse makes a significant difference in a speaker, especially a tweeter, but I have my doubts in an AC power line.

A fuse is a skinny sliver of metal designed to melt and NOT to allow a lot of current to pass. In a speaker this can be detrimental to the sound. In a power line, the amount of current the fuse allows to pass is usually considerable, making it much less (or possibly no concern) to audio quality.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing