Audiophile Fuses

I was being facetious.

I use Isoclean fuses in my system. They are marked with an arrow for direction . The sound does change in one direction than the other.

I imagine a system would sound best if the fuse was replaced with a 6 x 32mm ingot of gold plated silver, thereby eliminating all fuses entirely.

Wrapping just the glass of a stock fuse with a little bit of Teflon plumbers tape , can make an improvement .

You should be using ceramic fuses anyway. They won't break. I have seen glass beak when fuses blow. Ceramic is also a better insulator than glass.

No, I never listened to an Isoclean fuse, but I was specifically referring to the fuse being glass, and that ceramic fuses are better insulated than glass ones.

GaryProtein - what brand of ceramic fuses do you recommend?

You should be using ceramic fuses anyway. They won't break. I have seen glass beak when fuses blow. Ceramic is also a better insulator than glass.

I have seen glass fuses explode...last month. i opened the back, and there was just bits of glass everywhere...both fuses.

I'm using HiFi Tuning Silver star (ceramic) in my dac, pre and phono sections. Never a/b with stock nor was I interested. Bottom line, for components costing thousands, why not drop 50 on a better fuse silver wire connection ?

I imagine a system would sound best if the fuse was replaced with a 6 x 32mm ingot of gold plated silver, thereby eliminating all fuses entirely.

Yep, absolutely , the difference with the straight silver is noticable ... Plus by upping the value or knowing what you are actually using for amperage to drive your speakers can eleiminate fuse induced distortion, which causes serious dynamic compression ....

What about the crappy gold plated brass IEC AC inlets ? A silver filament fuse , Really?

They will change a little with a few hours on them, you might be more surprised .

They will change a little with a few hours on them, you might be more surprised .

I know -- I reviewed the HFT fuses for the cj amps and brought up that point (as well as directionality though that can be obviated with the HFT Quantum dots:) So both fuses were well broken in!

Sorry I don't have data , I'm expressing personal experiences. You can test this yourself , if you have high sensitivity speakers at 8 ohm for eg you will suffer from this less. Electrostatics or ribbons in the 2 or 1 ohm region the load on the amplifier will make any fuse in the outputs introduce this phenom ..

The problem is when you approach the amp rating of the fuse at low impedances. I guess if you were to lower the amp ratings of your fuse at 8 ohm , you may hear the distortion as you approach the fuse limit ..

Usually I measure voltage being used at typically listening levels , then calculate for dynamic headroom and then match fuse rating for such . In my case that works out to 15 amps /ch

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...-power-do-your-speakers-need.html#post2869380

Go to post two , download test signal and test with volt meter , you can calculate your avg , if you have any of the sterophile test CD 's you can run theirs , it's at -20 db so just multiply the results by 10

Regards

My class "A" amps never seemed to clip, my listening levels are low to moderate sound levels. What the biggest problem I have is very poor crappy A/C Power. Talk about thin compressed sound! Most would have thought the amps were clipping, they were just running out of gas. It was driving us crazy, because sometimes the A/C was decent, most of the time not. The final solution : 2 Pure Power 2000 A/C
Re generators, No more thin compressed dull sound . The Isoclean fuses added an nice touch to my system , after I corrected my A/C problem. The Cheap IEC AC inlet plugs and wiring were also replaced ... but that another story.

We looked at the a/c line on a O scope , not too much voltage swing , but the sine wave pattern looked really bad.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing