Audiophile Fuses

local hardware stores have fuses, and if they dont have 0.8 amps, then a 1 amp should work until you get the proper value, and perhaps even a slightly lower value will work. Fuses are not exact devices, but if your next fuse, (of the proper value or the 1 amp blows within seconds or so, then the electronics have a fault and stuff like that. If its a mains fuse, then its a slow blow, and if dont mains, probably a fast blow type. Either type will work to get you by, just unplug the unit when you are not physically around it until you get the manufacturers exact fuse. and all like that, hopefully not preaching to the choir here.....probably $1.50 for a fuse, but you might need to buy a package of 4 for $5 or $6.

Fuse size needed is 8-10amp , currently using gold plated and wanted to see what others are using for standard fuse. Sorry about the confusion on the amperage...

Regards ,

Well while waiting for fuses , I went ahead and soldered solid silver strand across gold tabs on blown fuses aaand , I'm happy ...:)

God help you if somthing happens and the fuse should be there to protect against further damage or even a fire. What you did is very dangerous.

Reactions: barryr1
LOL,

Sorry MEP, what i did was not dangerous, maybe you should rephrase as a question , then we can have discourse .... Sonically the difference is staggering , you should give it a try ( speaker output ) and no My amplifiers will not catch on fire..... :)
..Regards,

So what is the fuse protecting?

Output stage to speaker , I usually remove them as the fuses tend to degrade sonics, in this case i tried gold plated fuses, the sonics over standard fuses where obvious and when i blew the fuse i went with the silverwire attempt , as an experiment to see if the solid silver would make a difference( silver , not silver plated over copper), I'm using a small enuff strand to have amperage protection, ( 15amp) the fuse blew because it was only 8 amp , which is below the nominal 10 -15 amp i normally run if running fuses ....

Regards,

Well while waiting for fuses , I went ahead and soldered solid silver strand across gold tabs on blown fuses aaand , I'm happy ...:)

So what is the fuse protecting?

How do you have any idea of the current rating the silver wire you soldered in has?

You do realize the silver has to reach 1760 degF before it melts.

Fuses must have two dichotomous characeristics. They must be completely transparent in a circuit, theoretically having no resistance, capacitance or inductance, allowing current to flow freely, and must at their specified current limit be instantly resistive enough to melt, but this is hardly the actual case.

Last edited:
Reactions: barryr1
Correct and Copper melts at 1984 deg, Tungsten 6,191 ......

I dont understand the micro focus, so let me repeat , while waiting on the new ones to arrive , i tried the silver to see what it sounds like, interesting none is interested in the sonic results, only if there were condoms .. :)

Not to worry, i usually bypass the fuses anyway ,better sonics and havent lost an amp in 35 yrs, just good hi-fi ......... Cheers !!!!

Smaller amp value fuses in the 1/4 to 1/2 amp range have 1-3 ohms resistance according to the spec sheets i have seen. Higher amp fuses in the 1-20 amp range have resistance in the 0.1 to 0.3 ohm range.

I dont understand the micro focus, so let me repeat , while waiting on the new ones to arrive , i tried the silver to see what it sounds like, interesting none is interested in the sonic results, only if there were condoms .. :)

Nope, I'm not interested in the sonic differences between bypassing a fuse that was designed to protect the output circuit anymore than I would be interested to know what the sonic improvement was if you told me your amp sounded better if you put one finger on the B+ rail and the other one in your ear.

Not to worry, i usually bypass the fuses anyway ,better sonics and havent lost an amp in 35 yrs, just good hi-fi ......... Cheers !!!!

I'm not worried-you need to be worried. You have been super lucky if you have really been pulling this stunt for 35 years and never had a problem. It's only a matter of time until your luck runs out and something bad happens. Pray your amp doesn't catch on fire and cause damage to your house. Once the insurance company finds out the cause of the fire was you bypassing a fuse, the loophole they will have to deny your claim will be big enough to drive a semi through.

Nope, I'm not interested in the sonic differences between bypassing a fuse that was designed to protect the output circuit anymore than I would be interested to know what the sonic improvement was if you told me your amp sounded better if you put one finger on the B+ rail and the other one in your ear..

I'm not worried-you need to be worried. You have been super lucky if you have really been pulling this stunt for 35 years and never had a problem. It's only a matter of time until your luck runs out and something bad happens. Pray your amp doesn't catch on fire and cause damage to your house. Once the insurance company finds out the cause of the fire was you bypassing a fuse, the loophole they will have to deny your claim will be big enough to drive a semi through.
Not to mention voiding your warranty.

Nope, I'm not interested in the sonic differences between bypassing a fuse that was designed to protect the output circuit anymore than I would be interested to know what the sonic improvement was if you told me your amp sounded better if you put one finger on the B+ rail and the other one in your ear.

LOL, catch on fire , damage the house, Experience talking ?...... :) You should get yourself better stuff MEP ... :)

No, I have never had any piece of stereo gear catch on fire. But then, I'm smart enough not to bypass fuses and assume everything is going to be ok. My gear is just dandy by the way.

Uh, it's the cause of of a fuse to blow when presented with the right load. What do you mean upgrade? If they don't blow they are malfunctioning or overrated.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing