Audionet Stern PreAmplifier

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I had asked my audiophile friend to bring their power chords while visiting, so there were a lot of cables around, many of them were before unknown to me. The more well known were Cardas golden cross, NBS BL, Nordost Valhalla I, NAT, HMS Suprema, Kondo Avocado, MIT AC1.
I see you have test HMS Suprema and Kondo Avocado.
Can you talk about them, please ?
Thanks

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
I see you have test HMS Suprema and Kondo Avocado.
Can you talk about them, please ?
Thanks
Sorry,
the comparison is too long ago to make any valuable comment.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Looks Beautiful! Curious who uses single-ended (RCA) interconnects and who uses XLR?
Audionet recommends single ended.

Does that just mean the Audionet is not fully balanced design?

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
Does that just mean the Audionet is not fully balanced design?
I will ask that question to Bill (GTT) again when he delivers my S / H's in a week. My understanding from speaking directly with Audionet and Bill is that the XLR inputs use op amps and the RCA inputs do not. Even though the op amps are very good, avoiding them with RCA is recommended. I went with all RCA interconnects with my G2.1 and Max amps. I do wish they had the solid connections of an XLR, as I have bumped them loose occasionally. But the sound is great. Also, the unique ends of the RCA Kubala Sosna cables can be tightened carefully. Ken

Reactions: XV-1

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
Sorry,
the comparison is too long ago to make any valuable comment.
I understand. Thank you.
What is your power cord now ?
Thanks

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Reactions: hongkongfoufou

fast.freight

Jul 30, 2022
I will ask that question to Bill (GTT) again when he delivers my S / H's in a week. My understanding from speaking directly with Audionet and Bill is that the XLR inputs use op amps and the RCA inputs do not. Even though the op amps are very good, avoiding them with RCA is recommended. I went with all RCA interconnects with my G2.1 and Max amps. I do wish they had the solid connections of an XLR, as I have bumped them loose occasionally. But the sound is great. Also, the unique ends of the RCA Kubala Sosna cables can be tightened carefully. Ken
Hello, bill Parish (GTT Audio delivered and installed my new Stern and Heisenbergs on Monday. They sound amazing with my Hailey 2's. I again asked about why the RCA (single ended) vs Balanced interconnects. Per Bill: When using balanced (which are recommended with extremely long runs), most, including Audionet, use op-amps to convert the balanced back to single ended internally. Yes, this means that Audionet are not true balanced through and through. And, very few components are. To be fully balanced, it very much increases the internal wiring to carry the extra signal wire throughout. I may not be technically accurate here, as I am recalling, but bottom line is that the Audionet stuff (and probably most other components) sound better with RCA (single ended) interconnects. Works for me! Ken

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Hello, bill Parish (GTT Audio delivered and installed my new Stern and Heisenbergs on Monday. They sound amazing with my Hailey 2's. I again asked about why the RCA (single ended) vs Balanced interconnects. Per Bill: When using balanced (which are recommended with extremely long runs), most, including Audionet, use op-amps to convert the balanced back to single ended internally. Yes, this means that Audionet are not true balanced through and through. And, very few components are. To be fully balanced, it very much increases the internal wiring to carry the extra signal wire throughout. I may not be technically accurate here, as I am recalling, but bottom line is that the Audionet stuff (and probably most other components) sound better with RCA (single ended) interconnects. Works for me! Ken
Also my experience with the Humboldt, RCA has about 6/7 dB more gain too

ICUToo

Sep 20, 2021
I use single-ended inputs on my Humboldt.
Sounds absolutely wonderful, and I think slightly better than the balanced.
Fantastic amp. I use the MSB Reference as preamp.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing