AudioKinesis Swarm

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Yes, at 100hz it's really important.

Just ditch the subs, make life easy... Don't you listen to Jazz? :p
It's not supposed to be easy Folsom. I listen to everything, i have the sub towers dialed in now, it only took 4 different crossover and 5 years o_O

Reactions: Folsom and Kcin

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
It's not supposed to be easy Folsom. I listen to everything, i have the sub towers dialed in now, it only took 4 different crossover and 5 years o_O
So you have Martin Logan sub towers. Are they up front by the main speakers or spread around the room like a swarm. Why were they so hard to integrate?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Does a pair of good subs "when done right" create more cohesion with speed and consistency to the main drivers.
The swarm then being a more easy to hit general uplift, but missing the last level of intimate contact and connection with the mains.
Almost like saying, easy for the layman to achieve satisfactory results.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Does a pair of good subs "when done right" create more cohesion with speed and consistency to the main drivers.
The swarm then being a more easy to hit general uplift, but missing the last level of intimate contact and connection with the mains.
Almost like saying, easy for the layman to achieve satisfactory results.

"done right" means it would be hard pressed to tell the difference. People that get a pair of subs integrated don't play with them for months or more don't land on something that is inferior to a swarm setup to a large degree - they're looking for the sweetest, closets integration to smooth sounding bass as possible. It's the same relative goals. You might notice that a lot of people with subwoofers in pairs don't exactly get the privileged of just tucking them in a corner (some do, sometimes it works out that way). Look at Mike's, they're as far out into the room as the speakers basically; and he spent forever and day getting them positioned just right.

It should be noted that doing a swarm doesn't require a specific manufacturer of subwoofers. You can vary the quality of the subwoofers and amplifiers. Speed in bass isn't indicated by the lower frequencies. In Lagonda's case he's crossing rather high so he's going to be able to hear more characteristics. When you're crossing at like 45hz there's nothing gentle and danty to describe because a 45hz wave is 25ft long. There's no "aligning" something 25ft long in a meaningful way unless maybe you're a whale in the ocean with no room boundaries and ears that can register very low notes really well. You literally have to place a subwoofer or speaker more than 25ft away from the other to get it to sound like a different speaker for the actual sound they produce. What will matter is whether the sub is placed in a high peak or null. That's why a lot of guides for subwoofers have you crawling around on the floor looking for the right place.

So I would say all things equal between quality of speakers and amps, the answer to your question is no, there's no reason at all to expect "cohesion" and "speed" relative to the mains. And especially not if you have a 25ft window.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
So you have Martin Logan sub towers. Are they up front by the main speakers or spread around the room like a swarm. Why were they so hard to integrate?
16 twelve inch drivers, stacked in 8 non ported enclosures, 4 per side, with taps for 8, 4 and 2 ohm connection. :)
58372FAD-3FD2-4C82-9AC0-B73FE2B991FD.jpeg 837700D2-9D06-44A8-B57D-4BA6B7F02404.jpeg

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Wowza. Nice setup. I guess it was stupid to ask was it hard to integrate. You said it took years. Did you ever try a.pair in the back of the room, or always up front.
No i have tried a lot of positions, but always in the front, or side of the room. Best positions has become a corner placement somewhat into the room, where the physical interference with the back part of the main speakers radiation is minimal. The main speakers also have a very specific placement point where they integrate best with the room, therefore moving the whole setup forward has been tried, and found lacking in sound quality :) .

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Looks like you have a brick wall? That would reflect more so it makes some sense that position works. With drywall it may not be as predictable.

Reactions: Lagonda

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
7FF70E6E-0542-4871-BDE7-07B000B592FA.jpeg

BDBEBEBB-44C5-44E9-B5CE-FE40A1C951FD.jpeg

C450FBBE-DF65-4C87-B298-12BF8BB7B953.jpeg

Subterranean bass, high resolution articulation, thumping 3D texture and ethereal ambiance reproduction......words alone are not enough for this combination of Wisdom Audio Adrenaline Rush bass towers augmented by the Wilson Audio WAMM Series VIIA subwoofer towers.

The quality and quantity of the bass is not only about pressurizing the room but also about enhancing the high frequency reproduction of one’s system. Besides taken the burden off of the midrange driver (s), elements of psychoacoustics can attribute to how changes in the low frequencies contour contribute to the aural quality and perception of the high frequencies reproduction.... a good bass system is more than just about the bass.

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
View attachment 75374

View attachment 75375

View attachment 75376

Subterranean bass, high resolution articulation, thumping 3D texture and ethereal ambiance reproduction......words alone are not enough for this combination of Wisdom Audio Adrenaline Rush bass towers augmented by the Wilson Audio WAMM Series VIIA subwoofer towers.

The quality and quantity of the bass is not only about pressurizing the room but also about enhancing the high frequency reproduction of one’s system. Besides taken the burden off of the midrange driver (s), elements of psychoacoustics can attribute to how changes in the low frequencies contour contribute to the aural quality and perception of the high frequencies reproduction.... a good bass system is more than just about the bass.

So much stuff in there. Including speakers. Are all those speakers running? I have heard unused drivers sing along with the operating system and impact playback.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
So much stuff in there. Including speakers. Are all those speakers running? I have heard unused drivers sing along with the operating system and impact playback.
There are additional systems in the rooms. Contributions from other drivers are not an issue here or in any of my other multi systems rooms.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing