Audio Soundcards

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
My reading of this thread, Bruce, is that you seem to prefer PCI cards for output rather than FireWire or USB. What about D/A conversion on the actual PCI card (eg Lynx L2) versus digital output to off-board DAC (eg, Lynx AES to Aurora 8)?

Regards zydeco

The best sounding conversion on a soundcard I've heard is the LynxTwo-B, which I have in my HTPC. The LynxTwo either has 4 in/4 out, 2 in/6 out or 6 in/2 out, if I'm not mistaken. What you will need to find is 8 out. You might have to go with one of the LynxTwo cards and a daughter card like the L22.
I don't know if you can run more than 1 E-mu card or not. Your choices are very limited in this area. Seems most manufacturers want to make more money going outside the box.

zydeco

Oct 16, 2010
WA, Australia
Thanks

The best sounding conversion on a soundcard I've heard is the LynxTwo-B, which I have in my HTPC. The LynxTwo either has 4 in/4 out, 2 in/6 out or 6 in/2 out, if I'm not mistaken. What you will need to find is 8 out. You might have to go with one of the LynxTwo cards and a daughter card like the L22.
I don't know if you can run more than 1 E-mu card or not. Your choices are very limited in this area. Seems most manufacturers want to make more money going outside the box.

Bruce - Thanks for the advice. I really only need the last 2 channels should I decide to add subs so the LynxTwo 2in/6out sounds like a good answer in that I can add L22 if required. - Zydeco

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Bruce: I recently purchased a music server that uses the lynx digital card and now I need an additional DAC (for output to my subs) and an A to D card . The guy from whom I purchased the server recommended the Lynx Aurora 8 since it does both and he was high on it and am wondering your thoughts on it.

Thanks in advance.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SOmwhat confused about the need for special card if one uses a sub ..care to clarify?

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce: I recently purchased a music server that uses the lynx digital card and now I need an additional DAC (for output to my subs) and an A to D card . The guy from whom I purchased the server recommended the Lynx Aurora 8 since it does both and he was high on it and am wondering your thoughts on it.
Thanks in advance.

We have an Aurora 8 here in the studio that has served us well. The best thing about it is that you can change interface cards in the back allowing you to use USB, Firewire, MADI and Pro Tools HD link cables. You will need a special cable for your Lynx AES16 to connect to it. It will allow you have have 8 analog in/out and 8 digital in/out. Highly recommended!

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
SOmwhat confused about the need for special card if one uses a sub ..care to clarify?

I am currently using a TacT for room correction and preamp functions. It has separate DACS for mains and subs. I am investigating using some room correction software that will run on my server (e.g. Accourate). I will then need two DACS -- one for the mains (which I already have [Zodiac Gold Plus] ) and one for the subs (hence the Aurora).

bblue

Apr 26, 2011
San Diego, CA
Hi Bruce,

Below the Pacific Microsonics A/D what's the best bang for the buck external ADC/DAC for up to 192k? I currently have a UA 2192 and am not entirely happy with it. Is the Apogee Rosetta any good, or still just prosumer?

Thanks.

--Bill

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I would say the Forssell MADA-2 is the best sounding PCM I've heard under $10k It's sold direct at around $3400

I haven't heard any Apogee I've liked. The only Prism I like are the Dream AD and DA at $$$$$$

bblue

Apr 26, 2011
San Diego, CA
I would say the Forssell MADA-2 is the best sounding PCM I've heard under $10k It's sold direct at around $3400

I haven't heard any Apogee I've liked. The only Prism I like are the Dream AD and DA at $$$$$$
All the reviews I've read of the MADA-2 praise it highly, above most everything else. Some even believe it is superior to the PM2 which may be a stretch IMO. Still, it's certainly up towards the top.

Thanks for the recommendation.

--Bill

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Bruce,

Are you referring specifically to ADC/DAC units? Forsell has also a DAC only unit - the MDAC2.

I have found this company many years ago , looking for information about the Forsell air bearing CD transport and DAC, a different company.

Forsell's site has a nice section on schematics that can be useful for DIY people - I have implemented one of their circuits to match FETs for an old electrometer. They also have some tube schematics they published in GlassAudio - people having allergy to tubes can suffer from some strange unexpected nausea when listening to their products. :)

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce,

Are you referring specifically to ADC/DAC units? Forsell has also a DAC only unit - the MDAC2.

I have found this company many years ago , looking for information about the Forsell air bearing CD transport and DAC, a different company. :)

Bill needed an A-D so that's why I recommended the MADA-2. Either one of Fred Forssell's converters are great! Fred Forssell.... should not be be confused with Dr. Peter Forsell, the inventor of the air-bearing turntables and such.

Fred Forssell Tech.

Dr. Peter Forsell

zydeco

Oct 16, 2010
WA, Australia
Multi-Channel DAC vs Multiple Stereo DAC

Bruce

Your recommendation for a decent Lynx / RME soundcard outputting AES/EBU to an off-board DAC is interesting. What external DACs would you recommend for 6 or 8-channels D/A? And is there any merit (or issues) with multiple stereo DAC as opposed to pro-audio devices with multiple channels? "Common audiophile wisdom" talks about the benefits of quality power supply / output stages in hi-fi DAC but I'm not sure about the realisation of these benefits and whether multiple, separate, DAC introduces new problems.

Cheers,
Zydeco

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce

Your recommendation for a decent Lynx / RME soundcard outputting AES/EBU to an off-board DAC is interesting. What external DACs would you recommend for 6 or 8-channels D/A? And is there any merit (or issues) with multiple stereo DAC as opposed to pro-audio devices with multiple channels? "Common audiophile wisdom" talks about the benefits of quality power supply / output stages in hi-fi DAC but I'm not sure about the realisation of these benefits and whether multiple, separate, DAC introduces new problems.

Cheers,
Zydeco

The main thing with using multiple separate DAC's are clocking issues. Just as using multiple A/D converters in a studio, one must be able to use a common (Master) clock and all the others will have to sync to (Slave). This is a major problem in larger studios where engineers bring in their own converters.

There are several DAC's that can be used for surrond files. The Playback Designs actually uses multiple stereo DACs for surround work. To keep it simple though, I'd recommend to stay with one box with 6-8 outputs. I use the EMM Labs DAC8-IV and the Digital Audio Denmark AX24 for surround work. Both of these have 8 outs. I'm sure there are more, but the only "Audiophile" surround DAC I can think of is the EMM Labs DAC6e

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing