AS Seasoned Audiophiles, What Have You Learned?

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
An alternative (and nearly diametrically different) Goldberg is the Kempff. No frills

Reactions: tima

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Here are some of the things I have learned:

- Most Audio gear is ordinary
- Just because something is more expensive does not mean it is better
- Just because something is newer does not mean it is better
- Just because something is old does not mean its inferior
- Setup is at least as important as the gear
- The room is the most critical component
- it takes hundreds (even thousands) of right decisions to create a great illusion and just one bad one to destroy it
- there are lots of different approaches that each have their merits (e.g. tubes/SS, CD/streaming/vinyl, direct radiators/horns)
- don't waste time arguing with people on audio forums.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
That it's a hobby, so there's effort that goes into getting it just right.

Also, if you have a good enough turntable and arm, most cartridges sound really good.

And finally, everything is tone controls.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
That it's a hobby, so there's effort that goes into getting it just right.

Also, if you have a good enough turntable and arm, most cartridges sound really good.

And finally, everything is tone controls.

I agree with this. However, In addition to fine-tuning for tone, dynamics and resolution need to be right for a convincing presentation. And I think those depend on other factors.

Last edited:
Reactions: tima

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I guess what I've learned is how little I know. I want to take a tour to hear vintage horns- Mirrorphonic, a visit to David's, like that. But my "new" room has been great, it is much larger, and the combo of longer room, dual 15" servo subs, and stone bodied Koetsus has given my system some gravitas that it lacked.

I have heard the Mirrorphonics sound great at Munich, heard two sets of Bionors with Lamm and Kondo, and heard some Altecs, custom other horns with vintage drivers, etc. Vintage is to be respected. Drivers are great, crossovers and cabinets can be modded.

As to what I have learned:

1. If I could I would redo the search using the right records, i.e. listening points. However I understand this is not possible because you find records along the journey, so to find records you have to have spent a considerable time in your search already.

2. You mention big horns. And others mention big cones and panels. Yet, there is a lot of magic in small speakers, and simple set ups, that get out of the way of the recording better. They have less extensions and weight and all that, but by interacting less with the room and getting out of the way, suspension of disbelief can be better with the right records. Of course, if someone has big speakers that can get out of the way, that is ideal.

3. Price is way more complex than just the retail tag.

4. There are many sub hobbies. Cables, SS amps, SET amps, speakers, footers, analog, servers, dacs, etc. It is fine to indulge in different ones at different times. Personally for me, my hopefully final sub hobby is low watt amps. That will take a while though.

5. Understand your own purchase behavior. There is a big disconnect on how people listen, what they think, what they buy, how they justify. The sooner you understand what makes you tick and the people you talk to tick on these fronts, the better.

6. There is a big social element to this hobby. Whether meeting physically or virtually. So with 4, 5, and 6, when someone says I am just here for the music, he is either a. noob, b. lying to himself c. very advanced that he has been through all the subhobbies and extremely old.

7. Most people underdrive their speakers, some overdrive

8. 95% of the speakers I have heard are oversized for the room. I think it probably happens that an audiophile starts small, then keeps upgrading, then makes a jump to some big budget desirable he has lusted for as a small guy, and there he crosses the size line

9. Purchasing to announce on the forum is the biggest mistake, As the highs last for a few months then you need to make another big purchase to stay relevant

10. Don't lock yourself in upgrades. I would stay away from items where you stay locked in. It is just not worth it with the choices around

11. Videos are a great way to share knowledge.

12. On every other thing in life - food, work, sports, gym, diets, I have been able to share constructively. But in Audio it is almost impossible to be constructive without hurting the other person no matter how open he claims to be.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
What I have learned in audio is a famous saying from one of our member manufacturers here who shall remain nameless.........

"If you want to make a million dollars in audio , you have to spend $2 Million" :cool:

• Haha
Reactions: pdreher

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
To make a small fortune even smaller become an audiophile.

loki1957

Sep 19, 2012
Santa Fe NM
A good salesman can sell me things I never thought I needed.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Reviews should be treated as no more than a starting point.
Some reviewers are better than others, but read between the lines of all reviews.
Don't confuse different and better sound.
Every link in the audio chain affects the sound.
Look for good synergy between the different parts of your system. Somethings that work well in particular systems may not work as well in a different system
Nothing beats hearing a potential new purchase in your own system in your own home.

Reactions: MadFloyd

tdotson41

Jan 14, 2020
Here are some of the things I have learned:

- Most Audio gear is ordinary
- Just because something is more expensive does not mean it is better
- Just because something is newer does not mean it is better
- Just because something is old does not mean its inferior
- Setup is at least as important as the gear
- The room is the most critical component
- it takes hundreds (even thousands) of right decisions to create a great illusion and just one bad one to destroy it
- there are lots of different approaches that each have their merits (e.g. tubes/SS, CD/streaming/vinyl, direct radiators/horns)
- don't waste time arguing with people on audio forums.
I 100% agree with you dcathro! Music has always been such a huge part of my life and now I’m at the age to truly enjoy it . I don’t understand how or why we have to argue over all it’s virtues. its a crazy hobby that should unite and inspire us. i just thanked my family for supporting and allowing me the freedom to have such a sanctuary and I refuse to spend my quite time arguing over what’s best.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I don't listen to much classical any more (heathen) though I retain the good stuff, some Decca,s UK Londons, EMI ASDs, Lyrita, etc. I visited Albert Porter (finally) a few weeks ago and we had a blast. He had a visitor, the Aries Cerat guy (nice cat) who brought a Greek record I bought. It's sort of new age/classical/jazz, not deep or inaccessible. Easy enough to find in the secondary market; Stavros Lantsias – Return, which only seems to be available in Greece. I don't know if you find yourself going through 'phases'- I do. I had a blast at Albert's. Part of the fun is the hang. I think in our cyberworld, we neglect that aspect of the hobby. I miss it. The end result is important, but the music has to grab you in some way-otherwise, you are just evaluating sound. Happy Schwazma!

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
My main takeaway from 37 years in audio is that we still don't know what the recording actually captured.

Nice post Bill, good to hear from you again..

theophile

I have learned that the more I learn, the more I realise that I have much more to learn.

The greatest enemy of better music reproduction is an unwillingness to learn because of closed mindedness. The conviction that brand, price or reputation is a substitute for experience and understanding is a recipe for disappointing music reproduction. A really good room combined with careful speaker placement will get the best out of whatever system one has regardless of any other factor. Placement of the listening chair is as important as speaker placement. Trust your own ears more than brand, price or reputation. Second hand does not necessarily equate to second rate. The internet is an excellent resource containing copious amounts of well intentioned erroneous information and purposely distributed untruth amongst true information. Hence the benefit of experience and understanding at all times. Satisfaction is subjective. Rather than only reading others' impressions, get out and audition systems whenever possible. Finding out why a component sounds better is more educational than asking what sounds better.

Reactions: Barry2013

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I have learned that the more I learn, the more I realise that I have much more to learn.

The greatest enemy of better music reproduction is an unwillingness to learn because of closed mindedness. The conviction that brand, price or reputation is a substitute for experience and understanding is a recipe for disappointing music reproduction. A really good room combined with careful speaker placement will get the best out of whatever system one has regardless of any other factor. Placement of the listening chair is as important as speaker placement. Trust your own ears more than brand, price or reputation. Second hand does not necessarily equate to second rate. The internet is an excellent resource containing copious amounts of well intentioned erroneous information and purposely distributed untruth amongst true information. Hence the benefit of experience and understanding at all times. Satisfaction is subjective. Rather than only reading others' impressions, get out and audition systems whenever possible. Finding out why a component sounds better is more educational than asking what sounds better.
Yep, seat time is critical. We used to do it after hours at stores, in other people's homes, at "club" meetings. There is no substitute for hearing it for yourself and building up some experience in listening- despite sonic "memory" being suspect.

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
Yep, seat time is critical. We used to do it after hours at stores, in other people's homes, at "club" meetings. There is no substitute for hearing it for yourself and building up some experience in listening- despite sonic "memory" being suspect.
For sure. I'm trying to decide about cartridges right now and A/B is completely worthless. For instance, I'll listen to an SPU Royal N for an hour and then switch to the SL15 and my wife will say "I sounds muffled". But then I'll eventually tire of the Royal N and start a new day with the SL15 and she doesn't think it sounds muffled at all... and we never tire of listening to it. I have always judged component by this standard: Do I want to keep listening at night instead of going to sleep.

jwhite613

Feb 3, 2012
New Mexico
I learned not to chase and sit back and listen to the music.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
.. I've had more time to curate my records and acquire more obscure jazz and the occasional proto-metal/heavy rock record. I think the Tone Poets are a must buy and the Chad Verve/uME series are both great, as is the BN 80 series...
Hi Bill, its good to see you around besides other forums. Its obvious isn't it? its about the music at the end of the day. Like you, I had a collection of vinyl that exceeding 10k LPs. I disposed of most of it around the early '90s only to buy back a portion of it. I set an arbitrary limit of around 2500 and blew past it a few years ago, I think I'm back up to 4k individual records. Anyways, what I've learned is that hardware comes and goes with fads and whatnot but vinyl/music collecting/curating in particular, is SOOO much more rewarding. If I do get the odd itch to change up my system, one only has to look at their 'want list' of LPs to tell them there's plenty unfinished business that takes priority. Here's looking at 2023, see you on the other side!

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Hey Rob, speaking of "not about gear, "is that a Simon Yorke arm in your avatar? Are you using it? :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing