AS Phonolab dual phono preamp

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Gain is:
MM : 38db, 42db, 45db and 48db
MC :58db, 62db, 65db and 68db

Also *if* you use the balanced xlr out you can choose a higher output reference level ( 775 mV or 1.55 V) which could be a factor in system gain....

Audiospecials sell directly to many markets; I would ask them.

Again i would love to send this to some USA based forum members to try out :)

What are the loading options with the Audiospecials phono stage?

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Loading options:

MC: 15 20 50 60 70 80 180 250 500 1k

MM: 47k (choice of 60 160 260 280 380 480pf) and 66k (60pf)

There is also a low-gain MM phono card option for higher-ratio SUT users.

Reactions: XV-1

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
Solypsa, so it is.

The new, AS SUT MM Input offers the following loading options for lovers of step up transformers. Ortofon SPU lovers and others who like Step Ups now get a very specials feature for their AS Phonolab.

100kOhm !!!! 47Kohm / 32KOhm/ 24 KOhm / 20 KOhm / 14 KOhm
In Addition 60pF / 160 pF

Gain is: 28 dB / 31 dB/ 38 dB
So you can vary the sound of your SUT /MC Cartridge combination like the direct MC amping as normally known. Absolute outstanding. I do not know any other phonopre with that possibility.

groovemaster

Last edited:

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
I am also very satisfied with my AS Phonolab. Of course, with my equipment, my first thought was to buy a Vitus Phonopre. But the AS Phonolab is so fantastic that I prefer to use the money saved elsewhere.
This combination with the Technics GE turntable and the Phonolab immediately appealed to me. A very harmonious combination in a very small space. It's in a music room of a jazz lover. The Phonolab is often found in the possession of creative people such as architects, artists and cultural workers.

IMG_7302_1.jpg

groovemaster

Diasoft5

Feb 19, 2020
40764 Langenfeld / Germany
Oh, I am a chemist. Do I have to return the Phonolab now? ;)

Reactions: Lagonda

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I tried Eric's AS Phonolab. Its a darn nice preamp. It is more clean, quiet, revealing of detail than my Allnic H1201. All around it is a better unit. It is the first of a few phono pre I want to try so I let him have it back. But its definitely a consideration.

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
I tried Eric's AS Phonolab. Its a darn nice preamp. It is more clean, quiet, revealing of detail than my Allnic H1201. All around it is a better unit. It is the first of a few phono pre I want to try so I let him have it back. But its definitely a consideration.
What excites me, in addition to the features you described, is this RECOMPIZER function to expand the dynamics of records. Often I can hardly believe what is still hidden undiscovered in the groove.

groovemaster

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
Loading options:

MC: 15 20 50 60 70 80 180 250 500 1k

MM: 47k (choice of 60 160 260 280 380 480pf) and 66k (60pf)

There is also a low-gain MM phono card option for higher-ratio SUT users.
Eric, Update!

Which is certainly good news for the many transformer fans. The new MM/SUT phono board especially for transformer operation at the Phonolab has just been released.

It has 7 different input impedances. 100K ( for the Grado fans surely pleasing!), 47K / 32K / 24K / 20K / 16K / 14 KOhm.

Means in practice: With a transformer with 1:20 amplification I achieve in the setting 14K an impedance of 35 ohms, which the pickup sees.
An Ortofon SPU for example is terminated with 35 ohms and not with 250 ohms, which would result with 47K MM standard value at the 1:20 transformer.
That low impedance systems can develop much better at 35 ohms than at 250 ohms probably does not need to be explained.
Here the Phonolab PRO right at the Kuzma Stabi, which harmonizes very well.

_DSC1681_1.jpg

Reactions: tom539 and shakti

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Eric, Update!

Which is certainly good news for the many transformer fans. The new MM/SUT phono board especially for transformer operation at the Phonolab has just been released.

It has 7 different input impedances. 100K ( for the Grado fans surely pleasing!), 47K / 32K / 24K / 20K / 16K / 14 KOhm.

Means in practice: With a transformer with 1:20 amplification I achieve in the setting 14K an impedance of 35 ohms, which the pickup sees.
An Ortofon SPU for example is terminated with 35 ohms and not with 250 ohms, which would result with 47K MM standard value at the 1:20 transformer.
That low impedance systems can develop much better at 35 ohms than at 250 ohms probably does not need to be explained.
Here the Phonolab PRO right at the Kuzma Stabi, which harmonizes very well.

View attachment 85952

Why have Audiolabs released a SUT?

What is wrong with their active gain stage for MC and MC loading?

or maybe the question should be, what does the SUT do that the active MC gain cannot do?

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
@ XV-1

The use of transmitters is not a question of wrong or right. Here, personal taste comes into play as an option that can sometimes be very appealing. I have experienced several situations where the MC direct input was clearly the better solution.

But that's the beauty of vinyl playback. The design scope is as large as the tastes are different.
I see you use SPU Cartridges. Many SPU users I know like to combine them with SUTs. Hashimoto, Consolidated Audio, Ortofon, Phasemation, Silvercore and so on.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
@groovemaster Thanks for the update; indeed I have already been made aware lately.

@XV-1 AS always offered an MM input option but as you can see the loading choice was more about changing capacitance for...mm carts. Makes sense they offer an MM option tailored to SUT use with more range in load and not added capacitance- after all some buyers may already have a SUT collection or opinions on whats best for a given cart. In any case AS has not released a SUT...just the input option to use one with greater adjustment range...

My demo is MC on both inputs and it sounds great, but will be getting a sut input card to try for sure. In my home made tube lcr phono I use Silvercore SUT ( which I have been happy with ) but of course in this case its required to get the gain ;)

Last edited:

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
In the meantime, more and more vinyl lovers are acquiring a taste for transformers and matching phono stages. Our german AS community member combines his Phasemation transformer T-550 with the AS Phonolab PRO from Audiospecials in the 16KOhm setting at the MM input. The Ortofon SPU Classic GME comes more alive with this low Impedance he reports. I asked him, what amping do you use?
Devialet, it works great. This chrome beauty I like for its look, too. Recordplayer is the Bauer DPS-3.
DSC03535.jpg
so, keep swinging!
groovemaster

Last edited:
Reactions: tom539

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
The Kenwood KD 750 is certainly still known to many as a top recordplayer of the late seventies.
I asked its owner, why just the KD750 with the AS Phonolab?

AS_KD750_1.jpg
"As a pianist, I simply have a strong association with my Steinway grand piano whose deep, black, noble high gloss reflects the grandeur of my classical music. The Kenwood conveys this to me, as does the AS Phonolab phono amplifier from Audiospecials.de . Completely handmade, it shows that - Made in Germany - today again stands for a tradition that can be described as a combination of sophisticated design and outstanding technology. The AS high gloss front in deep black also reflects the spirit of classical music. On the other hand. It has two inputs for two tonearms. On the right side is my Nottingham player in the OFF.

Groovemaster

Last edited:
Reactions: matakana

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
The AS community likes to share photos of their SET Up. Here is a very successful combination of Thorens TD 124DD and the Audiospecials AS Phonolab PRO below.

Phonolab_PRO_2.jpg The outstanding signal to noise and thus also dynamics never cease to amaze. This is 100% handmade, a very exclusive product Made in Germany Cologne.

groovemaster

Reactions: mtemur

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
The AS community likes to share photos of their SET Up. Here is a very successful combination of Thorens TD 124DD and the Audiospecials AS Phonolab PRO below.

View attachment 106709 The outstanding signal to noise and thus also dynamics never cease to amaze. This is 100% handmade, a very exclusive product Made in Germany Cologne.

groovemaster
Yes, and judging from prior posts, you and Solypsa are the AS community ! ;)

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
By the way, the AS Community also stands for Analog Spirit. Everyone is welcome, as long as they can contribute something interesting and enrich the topic of phono amplifiers for vinyl fans. Here is a nice set-up with a Technics turntable in a very elegant USM rack. The Technics is well decoupled. Not everyone can do that.

Analog_Spirit_4.jpg

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
"Less is more". This is what the AS Community has in common with its Audiospecials AS Phono amplifiers. For many, this is one of the reasons to buy, so as not to get lost in the sea of buttons.

The front is puristically tidy. Only the two rotary knobs of the RECOMPIZER for dynamic optimisation are visible. The two LEDs indicate which input is active. Left LED bright means input 1. Right LED bright means input 2 is active.

_DSC2580_2.jpg

The back side has everything the heart desires.

Here is a set-up with the integrated amplifier AIRTIGHT AT-201H. A perfect match. Sounds tuby and precise. In between is a passive Dodocus switch with motor potentiometer and remote control. The unanimous opinion was that nothing more was needed.
Our playlist, Lilly among clouds, the green cover below, Mothers Finest, fasten Seatbelts and so on. AVA MAX Million Dollar Baby for the chart lovers.

groovemaster

Last edited:

RaceDoc

Sep 11, 2017
Germany
Audiospecials Phonolab and surroundings...

Attachments

• Phonolab_4k.jpg
    Phonolab_4k.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 8

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing