Artisan Fidelity "Achates Idler Drive" Turntable

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
I think it will but might not be the exact table.

That would be great if they were there. I haven't seen them listed on the Exhibitor's list as of yet though….who do they usually show with? Are you planning on attending Worldcat? I made my reservations yesterday and they only had 8 king beds left at the Westin at show pricing.

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
Last year they where with the TAD's. I think same table maybe a sp 10 MK II as well. i don't know if i am but will private you if i do.

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
I've communicated with Chris via email and he is planning on attending the Axpona Chicago Show this April with not only the Achates, but also a few of his other offerings as well. I can't wait to be able to meet him and listen to his tables. They look so beautiful on the web, I can only imagine how they look in person! A work of art I am sure. I have no experience with direct/rim/idler type drive tables, so I'm very excited to hear what they have to offer. Chris, thank you for coming to the show!!!

saygrr

Feb 9, 2014
Sturtevant, Wi.
No Regrets

I picked up my Lenco Achatese Nov 2 2013. It replaces an Oracle Alexandria with Morch DP-6 arm. The cartridge was a Benz wood SH. My Achatese has the Panzerholz plinth, and Origin Live Encounter MK-3C arm. Using a Clear Audio V2 cartridge with this set up because the Benz suspension broke and it appears Benz might be going out of business. The cartridge has about 40 hours of playing time and is breaking in nicely. However right from the start the fidelity was better than the Alexandria set up. Imaging was the most noticeable. Tonal balance along with dynamic contrast was also improved. Understanding words being sung was clearer. As the cartridge breaks in it gets better and better. Over the years I have spent a lot of money on this hobby. I was uncomfortable yet again spending a fair amount on another component. I can say, now that I am experiencing the improvement it has made it is money well spent. It really is something how much of an improvement the Lenco Achatese set up has made.

I hope to attend Axpona. If I do it will be Sunday. It will be fun to see Chris again and a few others. Chris is 1st class for sure. When he explained Panzerholz to me it was like science fiction. Really glad I went with the Panzerholz, it is really impressive, not just musically but physically also.

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
No Regrets

I picked up my Lenco Achatese Nov 2 2013. It replaces an Oracle Alexandria with Morch DP-6 arm. The cartridge was a Benz wood SH. My Achatese has the Panzerholz plinth, and Origin Live Encounter MK-3C arm. Using a Clear Audio V2 cartridge with this set up because the Benz suspension broke and it appears Benz might be going out of business. The cartridge has about 40 hours of playing time and is breaking in nicely. However right from the start the fidelity was better than the Alexandria set up. Imaging was the most noticeable. Tonal balance along with dynamic contrast was also improved. Understanding words being sung was clearer. As the cartridge breaks in it gets better and better. Over the years I have spent a lot of money on this hobby. I was uncomfortable yet again spending a fair amount on another component. I can say, now that I am experiencing the improvement it has made it is money well spent. It really is something how much of an improvement the Lenco Achatese set up has made.

I hope to attend Axpona. If I do it will be Sunday. It will be fun to see Chris again and a few others. Chris is 1st class for sure. When he explained Panzerholz to me it was like science fiction. Really glad I went with the Panzerholz, it is really impressive, not just musically but physically also.

Hello Saygrr,

I'm happy to hear you are enjoying your Lenco Achatese. Thank you for sharing your experiences of it with me. Maybe I'll bump into you at the show, as I will be there Fri thru Sun. I looked at the Panzerholz plinth on his website and it sure does look beautiful. I'm really excited to be able to listen to some of his works.

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
IMG_9649 copy.JPG IMG_9665 copy.JPG IMG_9683 copy.JPG

Hi Saygrr, Attached are several pictures of your own Panzerholz Achates finished in Audi Pearlescent White.

Wow, this is a fantastic looking table! Anybody here own this table? Tell us what it sounds like….how does it compare to other tables you've had….how is the speed stability? etc, etc.

Others may wish to further describe their own impressions of the Achates directly but were I to describe the characteristics of the Achates in simply a few words - drive, dynamics, expansive soundstage scale with extended yet accurate bass pitch. While the AC shaded type 4 pole induction motor of the Achates (ie. Swiss Lenco based) does not offer the ultimate speed accuracy of say the Technics Sp10Mk2 / Mk3 (few can rival these in this capacity), its ability to maintain speed is further enhanced by the flywheel affect of the precision heavy platter and ultra low friction Sapphire bearing system. By adding a dedicated outboard AC power supply, preferably with variable output 60Hz/50Hz and frequency/voltage adjustment such as the Loricraft (discontinued), Monarchy or even a lab/commercial grade unit (ie. Powertron 5900) the speed consistency ability is improved extensively.

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Some more....

IMG_9702 copy.JPG IMG_9799 copy.JPG IMG_9806 copy.JPG

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Love the look. Little modern retro :)

saygrr

Feb 9, 2014
Sturtevant, Wi.
My wife and I will be at the show April 27. I have a question. I bought 2 tickets for the 27th. Going through the process I was expecting a question for the 2nd ticket holders name. That did not happen. I have a ticket and receipt on one page that I'm assuming is good for my wife and I. Can anyone confirm that? It is a $30 receipt.

Hope to see you no regrets. If we get name tags my name is Jeff Saeger. What is yours so I know what to look for?

Anyone going to the show check out Artisan Fidelity's room and rap your knuckles against a Panzerholz plinth. It's like hitting concrete. Almost makes me laugh.

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
My wife and I will be at the show April 27. I have a question. I bought 2 tickets for the 27th. Going through the process I was expecting a question for the 2nd ticket holders name. That did not happen. I have a ticket and receipt on one page that I'm assuming is good for my wife and I. Can anyone confirm that? It is a $30 receipt.

Hope to see you no regrets. If we get name tags my name is Jeff Saeger. What is yours so I know what to look for?

Anyone going to the show check out Artisan Fidelity's room and rap your knuckles against a Panzerholz plinth. It's like hitting concrete. Almost makes me laugh.

Hi Jeff,

More than likely, you will be set with your tickets. I've always attended solo, as my wife really isn't into the equipment end of things…she just loves listening to music.

Hope to see you there. P.S. I sent you a Private Message

lapaix

Apr 27, 2012
I have had an Arstisan Fidelity SP-10 MkII with a Panzerholz plinth for a few months. It is very fine. With a Talea II, and Ortofon A-90 the sound is superb. The best vinyl by far I've ever experienced. I don't think anyone who goes in that direction is likely to have anything but praise for the results.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I have had an Arstisan Fidelity SP-10 MkII with a Panzerholz plinth for a few months. It is very fine. With a Talea II, and Ortofon A-90 the sound is superb. The best vinyl by far I've ever experienced. I don't think anyone who goes in that direction is likely to have anything but praise for the results.

How about sharing a pic? :)

lapaix

Apr 27, 2012
Pic

I'll send a couple of photos later today. The rest of my system is a combination of Dartzeel, Evolution Acoustics (MMMOne's), and Playback Designs MPS-5. After decades of owning excellent gear, I have to say that the only thing that compares is the sound of a chamber group in our house or our superb piano. It's not hi-fi at all; it's music.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN
Achates and AC Outboard

View attachment 13901 View attachment 13902 View attachment 13903

Hi Saygrr, Attached are several pictures of your own Panzerholz Achates finished in Audi Pearlescent White.

Others may wish to further describe their own impressions of the Achates directly but were I to describe the characteristics of the Achates in simply a few words - drive, dynamics, expansive soundstage scale with extended yet accurate bass pitch. While the AC shaded type 4 pole induction motor of the Achates (ie. Swiss Lenco based) does not offer the ultimate speed accuracy of say the Technics Sp10Mk2 / Mk3 (few can rival these in this capacity), its ability to maintain speed is further enhanced by the flywheel affect of the precision heavy platter and ultra low friction Sapphire bearing system. By adding a dedicated outboard AC power supply, preferably with variable output 60Hz/50Hz and frequency/voltage adjustment such as the Loricraft (discontinued), Monarchy or even a lab/commercial grade unit (ie. Powertron 5900) the speed consistency ability is improved extensively.

Hi Chris - would the VPI SDS be appropriate? See you and Kris on Saturday at the show. Not working this year so have the whole day to ourselves. WooHoo!

John T

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
View attachment 13901 View attachment 13902 View attachment 13903

Chris, what is your source for the cork mat? Thanks..

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Chris, what is your source for the cork mat? Thanks..

es347, we source those particular Cork composite based mats from a company called Blue Horizon.

Christopher T

Industry Expert
Dec 4, 2012
www.artisanfidelity.com
Hi Chris - would the VPI SDS be appropriate? See you and Kris on Saturday at the show. Not working this year so have the whole day to ourselves. WooHoo!

John T

John, Yes, Judging solely on the description of the VPI SDS provided by the factory, it should be suitable for use with the AC Shaded pole induction type motors used in the Lenco based design of the Achates. To be absolutely certain, it might be advisable to contact VPI directly and further check with their technical staff.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing