New turntable need suggestions

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yes it does seem to have a lot of desirable features, but rim drive does have a certain sound due to effective torque
as touched on in another ‘thread’ ( pun intended) rim versus vs belt drive many feel lean towards certain types of musical genres, that was my rather vague point ...apologies for being obtuse ;)

Reactions: ALF

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
...yep SOM, think of it as a modern day EMT 927.

(...)

Sorry, IMHO it is a completely different turntable. I expect it to sound completely different from the EMT 927 - the only common aspect is the platter diameter. The SPEC Corp GMP-8000 looks like the anti-EMT927! ;)

Reactions: ddk

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
FWIW ms, you should give it a listen, it may meet, or even possibly, exceed your expectations...

Cheers,
-a

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I agree the pricing is pretty keen, not sure if it includes an arm board/base as standard or that’s extra charge

given it’s 16 inch platter it’s going to need a reasonable length arm the website says it needs to be 12in it seems

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Reactions: the sound of Tao

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
I'm not sure 100lb platter totally necessary.
The Spec Corp GMP-8000 has a 16" outsize diameter 35lb Gunmetal platter, high torque motor and string drive, heavy laminated ply plinth.
And only $25k w EMT arm.
This is the only belt drive I'd swap my Salvation for.

I am appalled Mark you would suggest a turntable with a dc motor servo controlled , I thought you were a AC synchronous motor diehard or is this a case of do what I say not what I do :
“Fac quod dico, non quod facio”

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Anyone know how much this costs w the Schroeder arm? To compare to the SAT version of beefed up SL-1000 w arm at $200k.

Reactions: christoph

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
never heard this one, but I love the design and can imagine, that the turntable fulfills the expectations :

https://oswaldsmillaudio.com/sp10-plinth-system

as a standard fit it can be ordered with the Frank Schröder CB tonearm as well.

Here you can read a German review:

https://www.fidelity-online.de/oswalds-mill-audio-sp-10-plattenspielerzarge-im-test/

View attachment 64984

I believe Ked heard this and was a bit disappointed if recollection serves correctly but cannot R?member which version of sp 10 that was

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I am appalled Mark you would suggest a turntable with a dc motor servo controlled , I thought you were a AC synchronous motor diehard or is this a case of do what I say not what I do :
“Fac quod dico, non quod facio”
Hey, the Latin...again? Lol.
My lowly tt (£1800 new in 2013) is DC...but not servo controlled.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I believe Ked heard this and was a bit disappointed if recollection serves correctly but cannot R?member which version of sp 10 that was

I heard it in the context of the system, and their big speaker was quite disjoint sounding. The monarch with the OMA lenco was much better. So I can't say exactly what the TT did or did not do. Tom cruise bought the OMA sp10. His agent did for him, rather

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Anyone know how much this costs w the Schroeder arm? To compare to the SAT version of beefed up SL-1000 w arm at $200k.

You will find the prices in the German review, If I remember correct the Plinth is 10k and the Schroeder CB is 4k (plus a Technics drive)

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Is Oswald Mill part of Scientology then ?
i thought you liked the Monarch horns ? In your review:-

The Monarch is possibly the best and the most complete speaker I have heard. There. That’s the summary statement. It brings out the best of both panels and horns, giving you flow and tone coupled with the openness at the top. On Piano we played Rubinstein Emperor Living Stereo, Beethoven 45 rpm Apassionata, a fantastic piano audiophile recording, Decca Original edition 2 Ruggiero Ricci Espagnole, Scheherazade Reiner Analog Productions 4th movement, Solti’s Beethoven 9th 4th movement on Decca, and as I was searching for Peter Schreier’s Winterreise Melodiya (which I had misplaced), by some sheer coincidence Jon Weiss took out his own Winterreise, one I was not familiar with. No, he had no idea I was looking for it. I have heard the Hans Hotter/Gerald Moore and Deitrich Fisher Dieskau, and have been to a couple of live ones with Ian Bostridge as well as Roderick Williams/Iain Burnside. I had not heard his LP before, regardless, it sounded great. Al and Jon also played some amplified and Jazz.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You will find the prices in the German review, If I remember correct the Plinth is 10k and the Schroeder CB is 4k (plus a Technics drive)
Well, that's $30k total. Only $170k cheaper than the SAT version.

Reactions: christoph

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure, but my tt is still DC, not AC.
And I've already been told how stupid I was to even think I could hear a difference. I nearly got a t-shirt printed.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Is Oswald Mill part of Scientology then ?
i thought you liked the Monarch horns ? In your review:-

Yes I liked the monarch, they were fed by the OMA lenco . The bigger ones had the technics and I didn't like them, so cannot say exactly what the technics was doing or not doing is what I was saying in my previous post

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Ah I see, makes sense now thx for clarification Ked
lux in tenebris

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing