Apple Finally Takes Step That Will Bring the Company to the Next Level

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
By George Leong | Business 2 Community

Just last Thursday, Apple Inc. (NASDAQ/AAPL) revealed its long-awaited and worst-kept secret when the maker of the “iPhone” and “iPad” reported it would align with China Mobile Limited (NYSE/CHL) to push its products into China, a very lucrative market for the smartphone giant.
The deal, while somewhat newsworthy, was not a bug surprise to the markets, as evidenced by the stock slightly edging upward by a little more than three percent on the news.

Now, you may be wondering why the stock market simply shrugged at the news, given that China Mobile is the biggest mobile deliverer in the world, with about 730 million subscribers.
Obviously, that’s a huge number of potential buyers and added revenue channels for Apple. But the deal really doesn’t mean Apple will be going back to its previous high above $700.00, reached in September 2012. The reality is that Apple needs to be able to find Chinese buyers for its somewhat expensive (or overpriced) smartphones and tablets.

The target market is there, and it’s probably closer to about 300 million people or so, based on the number of middle-class consumers in China. The reason I see its potential market base being much smaller than China Mobile’s subscriber base is simply due to the company’s product pricing. I really don’t think some shopkeeper or farmer in rural China is going to dole out a major portion of their annual wages to snap up a snazzy “iPhone 5C” or “5S.” This will be the main dilemma Apple will face in this market.
The problem at the very root of this dilemma is that Apple will need to shift its margins to address the cost prohibitive cost of its phones when considering the mass of Chinese consumers earning average wages.

If China Mobile decides to subsidize the iPhones for buyers, as we have seen here with the zero-cost 5C with the signing of a contract in more recent weeks. With the cost to make an iPhone 5C at around $190.00, it’s really not a big deal for China Mobile to subsidize its phones, given that the majority of the company’s revenues are made through its monthly mobile fees anyway.

So for Apple really to really push into China and increase its market share from its current five percent or so, the company’s success will lie squarely on the price point of its phones.
Apple has traditionally made money from selling its phones, so if the company were to make these major price cuts in China, it would be a divergence from its normal policy. But if the company wants to be the next Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd., LG Corporation, HTC Corporation, or Nokia Corporation (NYSE/NOK) in China and the emerging markets, aggressive pricing will be required for Apple to succeed and reward investors.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Not sure how that brings Apple to "next level." A lot has to change there for them to start building bargain iPhones to compete with many Chinese company Android devices.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I just got a new iPhone 5s...after 4 or 5 Blackberry's over quite a few years. The keyboard, I'll always miss, the apps are much nicer (like beyond nicer) on Apple. Apple now has a dizzying array of settings (holy cow). My fat dumb fingers don't seem to work well for the slider switches. The keyboard, my big fear isn't really a big issue...the auto type is VERY good. Now the battery died about 518pm today my time...seems like a key weakness...if you can't get through a biz day...with the battery...wtf are they thinking?

I love my iPad, macbook pro...my kids all drove the apple to 700 (feels like just my family(...(the device count per household here is pretty high)...but this battery isn't good...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Same problem with the battery. What helps is to turn off WiFi and BlueTooth when these aren't in use. If you have an unlimited data LTE line, you won't really need them anyway.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Now the battery died about 518pm today my time...seems like a key weakness...if you can't get through a biz day...with the battery...wtf are they thinking?

It is to be expected, really. Quite frequently many of my iPhone toting friends are uncontactable if they forget to charge their phones. Even if they DO remember, they have to turn off all sorts of features, avoid listening to music, and avoid playing games on the train if they wish to have any battery left by the end of their working day. That is what happens if you pursue style over function and put a tiny 1500mAh+ battery to make a thin phone, when the competition puts a minimum of 2200mAh+ batteries in. If you want proper battery life from your iPhone, consider getting a battery case for it.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I just ordered an iPad Air and am to purchase a Macbook Pro (again). Yet, I no longer see what's compelling about the iPhones. They have IMHO been surpassed by Android devices such as the HTC One (the best looking phone on the planet IMO) , the Samsung S4 (the most feature-laden-phone out there) and the various offerings from Google (Nexus x), Sony (Xperia x) or Motorola (Droid etc) .. The next step involves IMO is for Apple to reclaim the innovation crown in mobile phones. The "Lifestyle" may not last very long. The iPhones are lagging in features and innovation. All that IMO.;people are still crazy about Apple iPhones out there.

I must say that the battery problem seems common to all TOL phones: my HTC One doesn't last me the day either, I must use WiFi and 4G Data while conducting business and around 4 PM my battery is dead ... I see the same from my partners Samsung S4 or Notes. Apple seems to squeeze more from their smaller batteries than most manufacturers. Blackberry phones seem to be the best in term of battery life.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I miss my BB. If my line of work was still as hectic as my last one, I'd still have one.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing