Anyone using Airtight ATM 211 to recommend?

darostr1982

Mar 24, 2014
Cracow
I've been listening to Shindo Auriges L, Reimyo CAT777 and Audio Note Kit L4 + Leben RS 30EQ as a phono stage!

I had a chance to comapre Reimyo CAT777, AirTight ATC-2, Lebes rs100, diy 45 tube pre, CAT SL1 Legend, New Audio Frontiers Amati and finally I got Shindo Aurieges MM for my ATM211.

Reactions: Nascimento

Nascimento

Aug 12, 2016
Brasil
I recently got the ATM300 (one year) played with Mark Levinson 32ref, Mcintosh C2300, Reimyo CAT777, Audio Note Kit L4 and Shindo Aurieges L, in my opinion the best combinations were with the Audio Note Kit and Shindo, I recently ordered a Audio Note Mentor L5 Kit (assembled by Brian Smith). I'm betting a lot on this combination

Last edited:

Nascimento

Aug 12, 2016
Brasil

Dante Choi

Feb 26, 2016
Buenos Aires,, Argentina
I recently got the ATM300 (one year) played with Mark Levinson 32ref, Mcintosh C2300, Reimyo CAT777, Audio Note Kit L4 and Shindo Aurieges L, in my opinion the best combinations were with the Audio Note Kit and Shindo, I recently ordered a Audio Note Mentor L5 Kit (assembled by Brian Smith). I'm betting a lot on this combination
Dear Nascimiento. I read this thread with attention because recently I listed ATM-211 with NOS United valves and the experience was just fabulous. And now I can read that you prefer Audio Note kits instead of ATM-300?? Can you tell me more detail?? Tks.

Dante Choi

Feb 26, 2016
Buenos Aires,, Argentina
Have compared ATM-211 vs Allnic A-8000 (T-1610 SE)...

Attachments

• L1007739.jpg
    L1007739.jpg
    499.7 KB · Views: 44

BP4007

Mar 7, 2018
Have compared ATM-211 vs Allnic A-8000 (T-1610 SE)...
Recently replaced the Elrog 211 tubes in my ATM 211 mono blocks with Elrog 242’s (WE replica), just outstanding. I couldn’t find the NOS WE tubes. Feel lucky to get the Elrog 242’s.i think only 40 of these tubes made so far.
now with Kef ref 3 speakers, Air tight ATC 5, Air tight ATH 2a SUT, SME 5 tonearm. I love the air tight brand. I also have the 300 b anniversary amp push Horning speakers

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
Dear Nascimiento. I read this thread with attention because recently I listed ATM-211 with NOS United valves and the experience was just fabulous. And now I can read that you prefer Audio Note kits instead of ATM-300?? Can you tell me more detail?? Tks.

+1 Would love more reviews of Audio Note Kit Products. I owned one of their phono stages and thought it was great. Stupidly sold it in my quest to go integrated. I have went back to separates.

Nascimento

Aug 12, 2016
Brasil

Hi Dante,

I think I didn't make myself understood, I said that the ANK L4 preamplifier was the one that best matched my ATM300, I liked it so much that I already sold the ANK L4 preamplifier and bought an ANK L5 Mentor, I haven't received it yet, so I can't Talk about your qualities!

Reactions: advanced101

Nascimento

Aug 12, 2016
Brasil
+1 Would love more reviews of Audio Note Kit Products. I owned one of their phono stages and thought it was great. Stupidly sold it in my quest to go integrated. I have went back to separates.

I really like my Reimyo CAT 777, even playing very well with the ATM300, it does not arouse me the same passion I feel with the ANK L4!
ANK L4 has more dynamics, more transparency, higher decay at higher frequencies, listening to an orchestral mass with the Reimyo CAT777 is very pleasurable, but listening to the same LP with ANK L4 is sublime!
Every day my wife complains, Nascimento, stop listening to music, dinner is getting cold rsrsrsrsrsrrsrs

Nascimento

Aug 12, 2016
Brasil
After a long time of listening and several problems, I can say, I was happy with ANK L4, but very unhappy with ANK Mentor 5!
Today I would like to buy an ANK L4 on the used market!

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Well, many years ago I owned some Audio Note UK amps and DACs, and also built some ANK kits (Canada). IMO the kits are dire quality, and you can do better. They seem cheap and seem to offer a saving on Audio Note UK products. Sadly almost nothing is the same, and 90% have zero designed involvement from Andy Grove. The OPTs are made in Canada for example, the PCBs designed by someone else.

As for the Mentor, that was designed by someone with zero connection to Audio Note.

Don't be fooled my friend. Look for a better brand, and buy used if you have to. Sorry, not want to sound negative.. PM me if you want more info.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
How much is a mother-in-law worth on the used market?

Esp one from pet-free and smoke-free home.
The secret is to sell your mother, it is more expensive. And deliver your mother-in-law.

Nascimento

Aug 12, 2016
Brasil
The secret is to sell your mother, it is more expensive. And deliver your mother-in-law.
The real secret is to sell the friend's mother, deliver the best friend's mother-in-law, and receive in advance! lol

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Well, many years ago I owned some Audio Note UK amps and DACs, and also built some ANK kits (Canada). IMO the kits are dire quality, and you can do better. They seem cheap and seem to offer a saving on Audio Note UK products. Sadly almost nothing is the same, and 90% have zero designed involvement from Andy Grove. The OPTs are made in Canada for example, the PCBs designed by someone else.

As for the Mentor, that was designed by someone with zero connection to Audio Note.

Don't be fooled my friend. Look for a better brand, and buy used if you have to. Sorry, not want to sound negative.. PM me if you want more info.

I was thinking about building the ANK 300b interstage monoblocks for use with the Elrog 300b tubes as they tend to sound more like 845s than typical 300b. And that's a good thing.Then I starting looking at the design and found it pretty uninspired. At a minimum, I wouldn't even use their 300b heater supply circuit nor their power supply for the driver stage which is unregulated. The driver stage filament supply is just AC from a mains transformer tap, and I wouldn't want that either. I'd want DC. So why buy the kit when the circuit needs major rework. The parts aren't worth the price of admission. So agreed... not impressed with AN Kit amps either.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I own ATM 2211 of AIRTIGHT , tested ELROG 211, similar to GE, Tested ER242 the sound is like a Solid state amplifiers. Finally keep the RCA NOS. GE or RCA better than ELROG

Good feedback on Elrog. The Amperex are much better than the GE and the RCA, and a couple of people who own Amperex, United, and WE 242 prefer the United slightly more to Amperex and the WE quite more

BP4007

Mar 7, 2018
I to own the Air Tight 211 monoblocks. I was running the Elrog 242's, which I really liked. Upgraded to NOS RCA's, and finally scored NOS Amperex.Amperex has been the best in my system. From those that I have talked to, most have preferred the Amperex over United. My two cents. WE I have not heard.

Dante Choi

Feb 26, 2016
Buenos Aires,, Argentina
I own ATM 2211 of AIRTIGHT , tested ELROG 211, similar to GE, Tested ER242 the sound is like a Solid state amplifiers. Finally keep the RCA NOS. GE or RCA better than ELROG
Have used ATM-211 for years with my Tannoy Autograph (Silver Monitors) and Vitavox CN-191 and recently sold it. I used ATM-211 with United Electron 211 but Amperex 211D brass base was the best possible valve for them. Also used a Philips brass base. In my experience, the best choice was: Amperex 211D, Philips Brass Base, and finally United Electron 211. These 3 valves were far better than GE or new valves. Please try Audio Note UK new 211 valves with Molibdeno plate. I never tried these new ANUK valves with ATM-211 but I think that can be work very well.

BP4007

Mar 7, 2018
I have a set of the Audio Note 242's as well. I think that they are great for new, and beat the Elrog's, but the nos Amperex still better.
I have tried: Elrog 211 (old version) Elrog 211 (new version) Elrog 242's, nos GE, nos RCA, and nos Amperex (brass). It's close and subjective, but I would rank Amperex > nos RCA> Audio Note 242 = Elrog 242 > Elrog 211 = nos GE. This is in my Air Tight 211 monoblocks. Currently driving Vignali HTM 112 or Horning Euphrodite speakers. All used with the Air Tight ATE 2001 pre amp

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing