Anyone using Airtight ATM 211 to recommend?

BP4007

Mar 7, 2018
Running newly restored Quad ESL 57's from Quads Unlimited. Waited for years for those too. Again, well worth it. Unbelievable sound

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations!!!

Nascimento

Aug 12, 2016
Brasil

BP4007

Mar 7, 2018
I have 3 Air Tight amps. the ATM 2, the 300B anniversary amp, and the 211 mono blocks. The 211 mono blocks are superb. 23 watts of SET power. Extremely clean, dyanamic, and all the superlatives. Just really, really good. However, tubes for this amp are limited, and the amps themselves are really rare. But I am lucky to have them, and absolutely love them.

Nascimento

Aug 12, 2016
Brasil
Thanks for answering!
Congratulations on choosing the three amp models, same manufacturer, but so different from each other!
My initial idea was to buy an ATM211, but as the local representative had no idea when I would deliver, I ended up buying the ATM300, today I really like the combination, Reimyo CAT777 + ATM300 + Westminster Royal, in the near future I intend to buy an ATM211, but I will not sell the ATM300!

Reactions: HDDG

BP4007

Mar 7, 2018
Should sound wonderful. I use my 300B for a small set of Air Tight Monitors, and the 211 monoblocks for a set of ESL 57's, totally and beautifully restored by Quads unlimited. Interested how your Tannoy's will sound. I may head that way as well.

Reactions: Nascimento

Nascimento

Aug 12, 2016
Brasil
I imagine it should play very well!
In the '80s I had Quad ESL 57 and Crown ES224, played with a Harman Kardon Citation II! The sound of eletrostatics is very engaging.
Unfortunately the ESL Quad had many problems with the humidity of the air, for lack of spare components, I ended up selling!

BP4007

Mar 7, 2018
So..., l put the Quads in storage for now. I was lucky to obtain a set of Horning Euphrodites.
Just amazing with the 211 mono blocks. My only gripe with the Quads was the narrow sound stage. Essentially a “one person speaker”. But what a good listen for that person!,
Everyone else, well, not so much

HDDG

Sep 27, 2019
Hi,
I really loved my ATM-211’s with my Tannoy GRF90’s but felt the Tannoy’s were at their best with more power. The AT ATM-2 to me was a better overall fit. For course your results may very.

I am actually driving GRF90 with a pair of Benchmark AHB2 in mono with very nice results, but not entirely satisfactory. Some 1.5 yrs ago I did a two weeks trial of Pass XA160.8 (not new so properly run in) on the GRF90; no words, mind blowing, unbelievably good. It's left a mark on my memory, I keep craving for it...

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Interesting. I know other Tannoy owners of various models, and they seem to concur with your findings. Even though the Tanooys are efficient, they seem to need good control. Maybe the big drivers?

IMO they are best driven by big bottle tube with high power, 65W for example, which sounds opposite to the efficiency aspect....

Reactions: Nascimento and HDDG

HDDG

Sep 27, 2019
Interesting. I know other Tannoy owners of various models, and they seem to concur with your findings. Even though the Tanooys are efficient, they seem to need good control. Maybe the big drivers?

IMO they are best driven by big bottle tube with high power, 65W for example, which sounds opposite to the efficiency aspect....

The bigger ones are actually more efficient, but yes they also like good control capacity. The GRF90 doesn't much get that level of control with strong tubes despite its 95dB, I dont get that...possibly the xover !! Tried strong 75W classA 211PP tube monos on them, nice sounding at average level, but runs out when you pump it up a bit, and they love to be pushed. The same tubes on the Westminster GR was another thing!!

Nascimento

Aug 12, 2016
Brasil
The same tubes on the Westminster GR was another thing!!

I didn't hear ATM211, I don't know anyone who has one!
Today I'm playing Shindo + ATM300 + Tannoy Westminster Royal HE, I can honestly say, with the right tube (EML 300B + 274B) 8 watts is enough to take full control of this big loudspeaker!
But I still really want to know about an ATM 211 or ATM 2211

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I prefer both Elrog and KR 300b to EML in amplifiers, though not tried in airtight. Also more control

HDDG

Sep 27, 2019
Today I'm playing Shindo + ATM300 + Tannoy Westminster Royal HE, I can honestly say, with the right tube (EML 300B + 274B) 8 watts is enough to take full control of this big loudspeaker!

I think that Paul Yoo may have tried the ATM on his Westminster GR. On my part, if it helps your decision, the big 211 I tried were the Coincident Dragon MKII 211PP 75W ClassA monos. The sound was glorious especially with tones. I drove them with Esoteric Grandioso C1 preamp which improved the performance quite drastically from others I used, especially tube preamps. Tube on tube had too much noise in the 99dB West.GR. It still has some with the Esoteric driving the 211. Many would have settled for the sound I had, but I was looking for firmer and more controlled lows at high volumes, infinite control with zero distortion, maintaining details, instrument separation, balance from top to bottom, and so went a bit extreme by driving them with Gryphon Mephisto Solo. I also had 8W 300B SET on them, they played nicely, especially when I had the amps connected to my Gigawatt PC4 EVO. The sound gained great clarity. But until you plug high quality powerful classA solid state into the Westminster, you won't know what they are capable of!! Although I like tube sound, I'm not going back to it. Now after hearing Pass on my GRF90, I'm planning to try two XA30.8 and two XA25 in vertical biamping on Westminster GR, and see if either can better the Mephisto. The latter may be a too fast amp for the Tannoy which seem to be more rewarding with lots of control and a tube like sound; best of both worlds. The Gryphon Antileon is probably a better contender because it seems to have everything a Tannoy would love, but finance has to be considered... Anyway, I'm placing bets on XA30.8 and XA25 as one of the best amps/Westminster association.

darostr1982

Mar 24, 2014
Cracow

Shindo and AirTight sound good to me ;)
Which Shindo preamp you have ?

HDDG

Sep 27, 2019
I have 3 Air Tight amps. the ATM 2, the 300B anniversary amp, and the 211 mono blocks. The 211 mono blocks are superb. 23 watts of SET power. Extremely clean, dyanamic, and all the superlatives. Just really, really good. However, tubes for this amp are limited, and the amps themselves are really rare. But I am lucky to have them, and absolutely love them.
Psvane make very good WE 211 replicas. Easy to get and affordable. Haven't heard the Elrog ones, but I am being told that they are excellent, and expensive...

darostr1982

Mar 24, 2014
Cracow
There are plenty of NOS VT4c GE, if you are patient you can find some RCA from WWII era.
In my opinion there is no point to look at current production.

Nascimento

Aug 12, 2016
Brasil
Shindo and AirTight sound good to me ;)
Which Shindo preamp you have ?

I've been listening to Shindo Aurieges L, Reimyo CAT777 and Audio Note Kit L4 + Leben RS 30EQ as a phono stage!

Last edited:
Reactions: darostr1982

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing