Anyone using Airtight ATM 211 to recommend?

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Dear @BP4007 @Dante Choi @bonzo75 and @ogschile I hope you are biasing your amplifier every time you change 211 tubes cause output tubes need proper biasing. especially when you are tube rolling.
Additionally every tube (even the used old stock ones) requires at least 20 hours of burn in after a long unused period. I believe IOT accurately evaluate an output tube's sound, biasing and burn in period should not be skipped.

I hope your prior comments about sonic differences of various 211 tubes are based on regarding these considerations.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph

cuntigh

Dec 20, 2014
FRANCE
Tube amps need to be biased regularly, not only when you change the tubes. Auto biased tube amps are ideal for that matter. With Air Tight it is very easy to do. If you biase high or low you can modulate the sound quality. With ATM3 and ATM1S we are several users who found the sound better when power tubes are biased lower than recommended by the manufacturer.

Reactions: new2Krell

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Tube amps need to be biased regularly, not only when you change the tubes.
thank you, output tubes also need to be biased when the line voltage changes. biasing in general is very important and needs to be done regularly as you mentioned but my prior comment based on tube rolling.

new2Krell

Feb 9, 2020
Tube amps need to be biased regularly, not only when you change the tubes. Auto biased tube amps are ideal for that matter. With Air Tight it is very easy to do. If you biase high or low you can modulate the sound quality. With ATM3 and ATM1S we are several users who found the sound better when power tubes are biased lower than recommended by the manufacturer.
I guess it all depends on where the manufacturer specified the bias level. I don't know anything about ATMs.
I have EL34's in my amps, the "usable" range is 50 - 70%. The manufacturer specifies 26-29 ma (52 - 58%), already at the lower end of the range. I have just settled on a bias level of 53% for my recently installed tubes. I find I get the best sound from my amps when biased "cool".

Dante Choi

Feb 26, 2016
Buenos Aires,, Argentina
Finally sold my ATM-211, have changed by Audio Note UK Ongaku Shinguru. If some one love 211, please consider ANUK…

I love Amperex 211D, but not possible to use with my Ongaku’ auto bias. I’m using with original WE-242C, incredible sound.

Reactions: Argonaut

BP4007

Mar 7, 2018
Mine are extremely quiet. Using with Horning (99db) and Zingali (98db) speakers. Your Altec's are a bit more sensitive, but I have not had an issue with background noise. Dead quiet. Using Air tight ATE 2001 pre.

Norway

Mar 26, 2022
Mine are extremely quiet. Using with Horning (99db) and Zingali (98db) speakers. Your Altec's are a bit more sensitive, but I have not had an issue with background noise. Dead quiet. Using Air tight ATE 2001 pre.
Thanks for your reply. My VOTTs are a bit more than a bit more sensitive.

Dante Choi

Feb 26, 2016
Buenos Aires,, Argentina
I have the possibility to get a pair ATM-211(at a very good price) but not sure that they will be quiet enough on my Altec VOTT s.
I have used to drive Vitavox CN-191, maybe 105db… was very good matching. Please try to found Amperex brass base with molibdeno plate 211 or Amperex 211D also brass base.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I have the possibility to get a pair ATM-211(at a very good price) but not sure that they will be quiet enough on my Altec VOTT s.
Interesting.I do like the 211 tubes, and wildly available as well. One thing I notice about these monoblocks, they both have an attenuator. Is that for balancing the input level while using a preamp?

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Interesting.I do like the 211 tubes, and wildly available as well. One thing I notice about these monoblocks, they both have an attenuator. Is that for balancing the input level while using a preamp?
Its mostly for adjusting the overall gain structure of the system. For instance, if you have a high gain preamp and sensitive speakers, then you’ll have an opportunity to lower the power amp’s input sensitivity, etc.
Many older amps had that feature, all Shindo amps do to.

BP4007

Mar 7, 2018
Agree on the Amperex 211 tubes. I have tried many NOS tubes and found the Amperex to be the best. If buying new, consider the Elrog 242 (if you can find them), or the new Psvane 242's. I'm running the Amperex in my Air Tight 211 mono's, with the Air Tight ATE 2001 for a pre amp, Horning Eufrodite, or Zingali speakers. Love the set up.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing