Any Esoteric fans here?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Esoteric has made a complete change to the DAC technology used in their better players away from Akai chips, which they've used for generations, to their own discrete component designs (K1X, K-01XD, K-03XD). The sound is significantly more refined and tailorable with an expanded 3D sound stage. I speak from having upgraded from a K-03X to a K-01XD. The glare that many experienced with their older players is gone.
May i ask, which is/are the standalone dacs that uses the latest chipset?
I'm considering another upgrade route, instead of K01xd. Namely, keep my transport for the time being, purchase the Grandioso G1 clock and the appropraite dac, and lastly level up the transport

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I think RJ has found, to his ear, that magic combination and that's all that matters. I'll repeat my previous gross comparisons. Esoteric has a "top down" presentation. Luxman is a "bottom up" type CDP. Sonically, each will mate well depending on system matching and personal bias.
I fundamentally disagree.
I have never experienced dynamics, slam and bass extension like i do through my current, relatively ancient esoteric combination. The scale and power are insane.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Nice one Lampie!
Like I said sky's the limit...

What are those DACs mate? Are you using mono dac config in your system, if so what are the improvements? (Soundstage depth, timing, definition, resolution etc.)

Very interesting topic I must say.

Speaking of which when Vrac started out this thread asking if any Esoteric users are out there... hello? ET phone home run!!!

Great thread Vrac.
Cheers, RJ
Committed Esoteric fan here. Loving my older kit and currently upgrading to Grandioso, bit by bit

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
May i ask, which is/are the standalone dacs that uses the latest chipset?
I'm considering another upgrade route, instead of K01xd. Namely, keep my transport for the time being, purchase the Grandioso G1 clock and the appropraite dac, and lastly level up the transport
Grandioso D1X DAC (two box dual mono, very pricey)
N-01XD Network Player - this sounds like the one you want!
N-05XD Network Player/Pre (avail Sept)

Reactions: infinitely baffled

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Much obliged to you, sir?
Then I think I'm aiming for a pre-owned Grandioso D1x

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I fundamentally disagree.
I have never experienced dynamics, slam and bass extension like i do through my current, relatively ancient esoteric combination. The scale and power are insane.
I had the K10 and it was one of the most boring, analytical, uninvolving CDP's that I've ever owned. And I did give it 500+ hours to break in. I'm glad you are happy with your Esoteric gear. As I said, it's all about synergy.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Indeed.
Your system clearly needs work.

It is fascinating that in a thread asking for other forum members with an appreciation of Esoteric to post, the usual suspects feel the need to foghorn their unrepresentative opinions across the posts of those with positive experiences of the brand.

We know what you think and can draw our own conclusions based on the mid-fi brands that you own and champion and the compromised environment(s) that you consider adequate.

Last edited:
Reactions: brodricj

brodricj

Mar 13, 2016
It’s a weakness in the CD player if it takes hours to just warm up.my. mcintosh and luxman digital front ends need only half an hour or so to sound there best.
I'm an Esoteric Grandioso owner and the above observations of others about warmp up and break-in do not align with my experience. The Esoteric gear is outstanding from a cold start straight out of the box and from then on. I see very little change in the sound over time, or whether the thing plays from a cold start or it's left on permanently.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Regrettably we have posters making comments without the benefit of experience.
Or in one case, a single bad experience having through bad luck or poor judgement, acquired a rare, poorly regarded model. And then repeatedly insists this is indicative of the entire range, despite contradictory testimony from owners of previous AND suceeding models.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Indeed.
Your system clearly needs work.

It is fascinating that in a thread asking for other forum members with an appreciation of Esoteric to post, the usual suspects feel the need to foghorn their unrepresentative opinions across the posts of those with positive experiences of the brand.

We know what you think and can draw our own conclusions based on the mid-fi brands that you own and champion and the compromised environment(s) that you consider adequate.
Indeed.

Out of respect for the brand, I did say in my post that I was glad that you like Esoteric knowing there are many fans and this is the response I get? I was merely sharing my personal experience. That's all. And there are others on this thread and other threads who don't like the sound. Sorry to disagree with someone who obviously has very thin skin and a "God complex".

Luxman, Pass Labs, Joseph Audio, Conrad Johnson, REL and Shunyata Research are "adequate" mid-fi brands? And I used to own the MBL 116's before I decided to downsize on the speaker side. I suppose you think that's mid-fi gear also. So you own Boulder. Who gives a crap? What planet do you live on?

And what personal knowledge do you have on my compromised environment? The room is 30 X 40 and sounds wonderful. Lots of space, big soundstage, great imaging, solid bass response down to 30hz, no standing waves, etc.

Some people don't like Esoteric for the reasons I've stated. We are all not fan boys of the brand and for good reason. Sorry you got your little ego in a twit. Get an effing life and post your BS elsewhere. And no, my system doesn't need work. It sounds just fine to me and to others as well.

You comments are insulting, arrogant, and without merit. You know where you can put them. I thought folks that post on WBF were respectful and appreciate different perspectives. You seem to be the exception.

Last edited:

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Out of respect for the brand?
You bought the duffer of the model line up, the porsche 924. You've then tried to shout down anyone disagreeing with your attempt to portray that model as being typical of the brand. That isn't showing any respect for the brand whatsoever.

And ftr, the mid-fi comment was aimed at the poster promoting mcintosh at every opportunity

Last edited:

springbeg

Jan 25, 2016
image.jpg
The original poster was asking for advice from those enthusiasts owning Esoteric disc spinners. I too question the wisdom of contributing to such a thread if all you have to say is essentially to denigrate the brand’s performance.
I imagine that I would be proud to own any number of the systems represented on this forum. As it is, I only possess one, and Esoteric sacd players have been at the heart of it for years. I recently upgraded to the K-01XD and am delighted with its performance.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
No such thing. If you're lucky you might find a pre-owned Grandioso D1. You will not find a pre-owned D1X anywhere, not for a few years at least.
I suppose what i need to understand is how the D1 compares with the dac in the K01xd.
Given what you say, those are my two realistic upgrade alternatives.

May i ask, what cable do you use for bnc connections?

Edit
Interesting, i can find the Grandioso P1/D1 4 box combo for the same price as the K01xd.
I wonder what would be the consensus better performer?

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
And ftr, the mid-fi comment was aimed at the poster promoting mcintosh at every opportunity.
I'll take that as an apology and I do have great respect for the brand. I'll repeat what I've posted on several occasions on this and other Esoteric CDP threads. It's all about system synergy and, with my gear, is simply not my cup of tea. If you can't handle that, oh well.

Last edited:

vrac

May 9, 2018

Just finished listening to "Last Song". Piano and Violin. Tinna Thorsteinsdottir and Una Sveinbjarnardottir. DSD 256. WOW!!!

Reactions: Big Dog RJ

brodricj

Mar 13, 2016
I suppose what i need to understand is how the D1 compares with the dac in the K01xd.
Given what you say, those are my two realistic upgrade alternatives.

May i ask, what cable do you use for bnc connections?

Edit
Interesting, i can find the Grandioso P1/D1 4 box combo for the same price as the K01xd.
I wonder what would be the consensus better performer?
The DAC in K-01XD is the latest generation Esoteric FPGA design. The D1 has an old AKM DAC chip. They are totally different technology and years apart. The four box Grandioso P1/D1 or K-01XD? Easy choice. K-01XD.

I use Shunyata Sigma for my BNC connections.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Nice one maties,

Glad to see that everyone is enjoying the music.

I'm happy as with my humble K07xs (although the Mac guy- ATH refers to this as entry level...) whatever.
Although I do have the means to upgrade, at this stage the way things are headed, I'm just relaxing and absorbing every little detail I'm experiencing from this player compared to the previous Mac that I had for many years. It certainly was a great player and served very well, outlasted a few other players including a Ref series unit from ARC. So before I went ahead and just purchased any type of model/brand, I did my research quite in depth and it took me over two years to decide on the Esoteric. Glad I made that decision because now I'm an Eso owner for life! They're truly at a remarkable level of performance.

I'll give it another 5yrs or so, and see what's the next best possible way forwards. I know by then there would be quite a few options... I'll give it some thought then. For now, it's time to pour that scotch and light that cigar.

Cheers maties, and do enjoy those fine tunes!
Best, RJ

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing