Any Esoteric fans here?

RaChiK

Sep 13, 2020
Reactions: infinitely baffled

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I'll pass on the digital advice, but wanted to congratulate you on your Parasound JC1+ monos. I've been using them with my Wilsons for a few months and am simply stunned at their performance as well as affordable price. This is high end audio at its pragmatic best.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
I think RJ has found, to his ear, that magic combination and that's all that matters. I'll repeat my previous gross comparisons. Esoteric has a "top down" presentation. Luxman is a "bottom up" type CDP. Sonically, each will mate well depending on system matching and personal bias.

Last edited:

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
I was of same opinion on older esoteric (before the current XD) models about being little off, forward, dry and mechanical. Thats why I bought Luxman D-10x. But D-10X was more laidback (and I am not saying it as bad), which was not of my taste (may be its my system). Then I heard the Esoteric XD series. They are one hell of DACs. I am glad Esoteric came out of the AKM chip based DACss and shifted to their own discrete DACs. Everything mentioned by others in terms of the dynamics, Resolution, 3D effect, soundstage is true and you can hear it right out of box. They get every spectrum of sound right. One true winner in my opinion. It will be great, if people stop generalizing and making vague statements on current esoteric XD series, without listening.

Happy listening.
There is always room for improving.
The “New” Esoteric technology with the implementation of FPGA in lieu of their previous AKM DAC CHIPS, is an entirely new direction for them......Gone is the “somewhat” dry, mechanical nature of their previous DAC’s, to a more sweet, liquid, and relaxed presentation, but while still preserving dynamics and proper “timing”......
I know I appreciate mine...( DAC/STREAMER, N-01 XD)

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
The new esoteric is an improvement but still has the same sonic signature as the old to my ears.as long as the owners like it that is all that matters.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hey Vrac,
When you finally get your Eso and all settled in nicely, please give us a review. Would be great to learn something new, always a learning curve for me. It's certainly nice to hear that everyone's experiencing high quality sound in its most natural form. That's the important thing!

Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
RJ

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
I use the E-02 Phono stage which is excellent both sound quality and has balanced inputs which I require.
currently contemplating changing my K-01x to either K-01d or grandioso K-1x and either clock or power supply. Huge uplift in cost however for almost the same internals.
I am arranging a demo of both when finances and availability permit

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Nice one Nemal!

I would probably think the upgraded version on the transport and clock, would be the most significant contributors towards top level of playback that you are most likely seeking.

So that would be the Grandioso K1-X plus clock. Let us know how it goes, all the best on the demo!
Cheers muchang,
RJ

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I use the E-02 Phono stage which is excellent both sound quality and has balanced inputs which I require.
currently contemplating changing my K-01x to either K-01d or grandioso K-1x and either clock or power supply. Huge uplift in cost however for almost the same internals.
I am arranging a demo of both when finances and availability permit
Both the K1X and the K-01XD will optionally take an external clock. The K1X will also take an optional external power supply. One dealer, whom I respect, believes that the clock adds more than the power supply for thise contemplating only one K1X add-on. There are big savings to be had with non-Esoteric clocks (CyberShaft is among the most popular). I would respectfully disagree with the 'almost the same internals' characteriztion. The new discrete component DAC technology in these units is a major change.

vrac

May 9, 2018
Marty,
I was so excited to hear someone other than myself is enjoying their Parasound JC1+ amps. I replaced my
Levinson 33H amps that I've owned forever. Repair and shipping costs pushed me to trade them in. The Parasound
JC1+ amps complemented my system. I also use them with Wilsons although mine are Sasha version 1. The amps are powerful yet delicate. Unlike the Levinsons they are barely warm to the touch. My 33Hs were great space heaters! I don't miss the Levinsons. With my ARC preamp the Parasounds on low gain /high bias setting was best. Happy listening!

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I have a luxman
Marty,
I was so excited to hear someone other than myself is enjoying their Parasound JC1+ amps. I replaced my
Levinson 33H amps that I've owned forever. Repair and shipping costs pushed me to trade them in. The Parasound
JC1+ amps complemented my system. I also use them with Wilsons although mine are Sasha version 1. The amps are powerful yet delicate. Unlike the Levinsons they are barely warm to the touch. My 33Hs were great space heaters! I don't miss the Levinsons. With my ARC preamp the Parasounds on low gain /high bias setting was best. Happy listening!
i remember when I owned two bat vk1000 amplifiers. They run to hot to touch Even for a second.they were unreliable As well.I would never again own an amplifier that runs hot.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Both the K1X and the K-01XD will optionally take an eternal clock.
With all due respect, what other CDP manufacturers produce / market an "ad on" clock to reach the CDP's optimum performance? And why? I really don't understand.

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
With all due respect, what other CDP manufacturers produce / market an "ad on" clock to reach the CDP's optimum performance? And why? I really don't understand.
I do...
In case of a seperate D/A converter many try to reduce Jitter by reclocking the data at the dac not the transport. In order to be able to do this you will have to get the clock as close to the dac as possibe. Now the clock is external (in the dac or a seperate box) so you will need an imput for this on the cd transport.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I do...
In case of a seperate D/A converter many try to reduce Jitter by reclocking the data at the dac not the transport. In order to be able to do this you will have to get the clock as close to the dac as possibe. Now the clock is external (in the dac or a seperate box) so you will need an imput for this on the cd transport.
Expensive way of trying to improve a CD player.

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Yes, very good Question Gordan.
In fact, just look at DCS, Meitner, Aries Ceret, and so on... all separates and cost a fortune! The DCS gear costs over 80 grand and Aries Ceret can go well over 100grand for their systems, so sky's the limit! So, it's not only "Esoteric " that do this. Eso makes dual mono DACs, for crying out loud, seriously? Mono DACs.

Anyway, I had a chat back in the day to one Meitner chief tech, and more so his comments represented the same from the Eso Aus importer; basically when aiming for perfection, you just can't do it all in one box. Separates are the best way to go, everything is isolated, power supplies, discrete circuits, DACs, transports, power supplies again etc.

Hence, why do we have separate pre-power amplifier combinations, why not use just integrated?
In speaker systems, cross overs are housed in separate boxes, Alsyvox for example, the previous Maggie's even had this, although they're no where near high end compared to these top level brands.

So Separates is it! Plus as we've already mentioned it generates more business...

Cheers, RJ

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Mono DACs.
Yes, this makes sense ..... it does to me anyway...
But it still can be in one box... like so..
This dac now has balanced outputs and is what i am actually using at this moment. ??? Nothing compares ??? ....2 you...???

Attachments

• CCGH4549.JPG
    CCGH4549.JPG
    774.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing