Any cyclists here?

Don't worry most people can only hit 40+ downhill or in the peloton. A pre-ride stre
tch helps.
I don't think your butt is ever going to look as good as hers but it's good advice.

Leg extensions
IMO lay opinion weight training is all about muscle isolation and overload. Despite what people sasi I prefer chain machine because the loqad remains consqant. You are lifting the weight straight up and strait down. You should also avoid the effect of inerta. I used to through the weight uo and drop it back down. One should use a lower weight and move slowly keeping the stress constant.
Dr..It hurts when I do this it hurts. Dr: then don't do that. If pain is iis present, you are either doing it wrong or it's not for you. There are always more than way to isolate a muscle. You can find one that works for you.
Again, proper warm up, proper positioning, proper weight are essential.

I really enjoy LCTM exercises now.

...I agree re: leg extensions for lighter weights, and they are sometimes used in rehab. As always, proper form, proper position, and appropriate weight rules the day.

And, I agree that you can find many docs that will tell you NOT to squat. A previous surgeon I had was an absolutely "no squat" guy.

The real problem, IMO is bad form and too much weight, doing extensions *or* squats. You see a lot of bad form and bad behavior at gyms.

I have used leg extensions with high-reps for rehab, sadly, several times (soccer). I have also used them to "safely" finish cooking the quads on leg day using light weights.

To be honest, many things can work if one is mindful and using good form. This is critical. I like squats (and forward squats) because they are whole-body. Some would favor isolation. I get that. Depends on goals and fitness, IMO.

Just for context, here is my winter leg day from circa 2000:

*Full* Squat: 245 x 25 reps. Keep a chair nearby, because you'll need it.
Rest 10-15 mins.
Seated Leg Press: 600-650 lbs. as many reps as possible. 12-15 typical.
Rest 10-15 mins.
Seated Leg Extensions: 25 lbs. as many reps as possible. 15-50.

Sit down at your desk and drink a protein shake! Cool down puzzling over Excel data! Eat lunch.

Kind of an insane workout. Bike-specific would be better with lighter weights and high reps off season for most people, IMO. I think when you see cyclists doing heavier weights in pics, they are often track riders. And they're young!

Reactions: Gregadd
My preference an ascending- descending pyramid. high reps low weight. decrease reps and increase weight. Then reverse.
squats for example.
180lx10n reps
200x8
220 x6
240 4
260x2
max x 1
reverse.
you can rest while changing weights.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus
The Decline of Lance Armstrong.
IIRC Floyd was destroyed in stage 16 of 2006 Tour de France.
Rumor has it that he knew Lance was doping and had figured out a way to beat the test. He sought out help from Lance and was refused.
After being totally humiliated in stage 16 he apparently decided to go it alone. in stage 17 he went early on a solo breakaway and destroyed the peloton. He gained back almost all the time he had lost and went on to win the tour. Unfortunately, he tested positive for banned substances. Most likely EPO and steroids.
He denied any substance abuse and vowed to clear his name. They threatened to put Floyd before a grand jury. The prospect of perjury was too much for him. Besides they didn't want Floyd they wanted Lance. Floyd gave him up.
The rest is history.
That's the way I remember it. Floyd was a great rider but despite one of the greatest performances over one the toughest courses in the tour,,his performance was suspect.
Despite confessing to Oprah as far as I know Lance has yet to come clean. He has refused to throw anyone under the bus. Maybe he is saving it for his memoirs.
Get a beer and some chips. Enjoy.

Are fatter tires faster? I THINK THE ANSWER IS UNCLEAR. Certainly, in The TOUR DE France races are won on climbing ability. In other races biking handling is more critical Let's not overlook the fear factor. In car racing cornering ability wins races. How deep in the corner can you go before braking. In a falt criterium witha lot ofcorners might benfit from a wider tire.
One thing is for sure.Y ou have to test it for yourself. On race day everything matters.

...so much better tracking and comfort-wise. I have been on 25s (road) for years now. Since frame-builders allowed for it.

Remember riding on 18s? Sew-ups. And twitchy crit geometry. What were we thinking? Those tires were bouncing all over. Glad to have survived it!

The comfort factor of a wider tire with lower pressure should be beyond debate. But these two sites have some interesting information on tire rolling resistance vs width.

Bicycle Rolling Resistance | Rolling Resistance Tests. The Continental Grand Prix TT (time trial) 28 recorded a crazy low rolling resistance.

Rene Herse Cycles has been a big proponent of wider tires Tech Info – Rene Herse Cycles, some of his other concepts on what makes a good bike debatable as so many things are.

I think you guys have enough info to make your own decision. I loved riding the 23mm at 70psi to the coffee shop this mrrning. i just get there so much faster than the 28 mm.
Keep the rubber side down.

The comfort factor of a wider tire with lower pressure should be beyond debate. But these two sites have some interesting information on tire rolling resistance vs width.

Bicycle Rolling Resistance | Rolling Resistance Tests. The Continental Grand Prix TT (time trial) 28 recorded a crazy low rolling resistance.

Rene Herse Cycles has been a big proponent of wider tires Tech Info – Rene Herse Cycles, some of his other concepts on what makes a good bike debatable as so many things are.
I ust want to point tire width is just factor keeping you upright.

Hips rocking is the seat too high.

Knee problems can be a variety of things but bike manufacturers really don't like to talk about the fact that people need different crank lengths as well as a different seat height. You can make plenty of power with a crank that is too long, but no more power than you can if the crank is the right length. However, you can make more torque with a longer crank and that torque bears directly on the knee. So if you want your knees to last, shorter cranks are how its done.

When Lael first set the women's record on the Tour Divide, she rode to the start line in Banff from her home an Anchorage. This year she took first place again:
https://bikepacking.com/news/lael-wilcox-2023-tour-divide-winner/

The Women's Single Speed first place and a new record for that on the Tour Divide was set by Alexandera Houchin:

https://bikepacking.com/news/alexandera-houchin-2023-tour-divide-singlespeed-record/
with the resurgence of Criterium racing one expert is talking a165mm crankset. Pedal strike in corners is dangerous.

...shorties for crits not unheard of, for sure. MTB guys were messing with this stuff too. And remember BioPace chain rings? And rotating them back a bolt to get more leverage when the crank was at the peak of the stroke on your "chocolate foot?"

{ think this thread is best left for the personal cycling experiences of the members. I am thinking of starting a new thread for cycling news, equipment, developments. and race results. Let me know what you think.

I have been moving up in tire width and down in pressure, and currently riding 32mm Cadex tires on 21mm internal width Bontrager Aeolus 37 wheels. I run pressures typically from 60-75 psi. I would put the sweet spot between speed and comfort at 28mm, or maybe 30mm, and while the 32mm give up some speed, they ride pretty sweet on the crappy roads around here.

Regarding Lance, I have a hard time judging the doping that took place given the money, fame, and pressures on the top riders at that time. None of those involved came out clean. Frankie Andreu came and did a great job calling one of our crit races a few years ago, and Lance generously came for a memorial ride to show support for a vehicle/bicycle tragedy in our community.

Everyone was doping. IMO people died. It was worth it if Lance getting caught cleaned up the sport.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing