Another Apogee thread? You bet!

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
PM Ron. And for Justin's Drum mp3, he will post it here when he reads this.

Dodgy Russian site? Unsure, so be careful, but this is it - Jim Keltner - Improvisation - Track 2.

http://lossless-flac.com/test-disc/428-va-usher-audio-be-there-vol-1-2004.html

TIDAL has this on some Sheffield CD. But it sounds terrible for some reason.

There appear to be loads of torrents around for naughty people. My copy is a 320KBps MP3 but it was sourced from the Usher disc. It is quite commonly used at hi-fi shows.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
For those after something other than Keltner's Sheffield improvisation, one of my favourite percussion-only albums is A Light Hour, works by Per Nørgård arranged by percussionist Gert Mortensen's Percurama Ensemble. It's available as FLACs in both 16/44.1 and 24/48 versions, as well as an MP3 download. Links are available on the page below to sample before purchase.

http://www.dacapo-records.dk/en/recordings/light-hour

8.226100_0.jpg

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
For those after something other than Keltner's Sheffield improvisation, one of my favourite percussion-only albums is A Light Hour, works by Per Nørgård arranged by percussionist Gert Mortensen's Percurama Ensemble. It's available as FLACs in both 16/44.1 and 24/48 versions, as well as an MP3 download. Links are available on the page below to sample before purchase.

http://www.dacapo-records.dk/en/recordings/light-hour

Or, buy Solti's 1967 rendition of Verdi's Requiem, with Sutherland, Horne, Pavarotti and Talvela on Decca. The overall performance may be a bit patchy, but the insane bass drum thwacks in the "Dies Irae" are ridiculous, over-the-top insanity.

853guy

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Or, buy Solti's 1967 rendition of Verdi's Requiem, with Sutherland, Horne, Pavarotti and Talvela on Decca. The overall performance may be a bit patchy, but the insane bass drum thwacks in the "Dies Irae" are ridiculous, over-the-top insanity.

853guy

Saw Verdi's requiem at the Barbican. Thought it overloaded the hall. But these drums are different.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Saw Verdi's requiem at the Barbican. Thought it overloaded the hall. But these drums are different.

I played this to my six-year old. She said "It sounds like Star Wars music". I thought that was kinda apt.

853guy

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Guys, I'm not going to buy a pr of spkrs based on how real it makes a drum duet
But I acknowledge how uniquely realistic the Apogees likely make this sound
What I was really impressed with was how Justin's Duettas coped w different genres w'out breaking sweat or seeming to favour some music over others
Even now I'm pinching myself as to whether the Interstellas really coped w Miles as well as Nirvana as well as Marley as well as...Joe 90 theme tune!
That last pick was a great one from Justin, my hyper-attuned sense of nostalgia fully satisfied by this authentic slice of late 60s Hammond Organ-driven upbeat Barry Gray-composed Gerry Anderson tv theme tune

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Guys, I'm not going to buy a pr of spkrs based on how real it makes a drum duet
But I acknowledge how uniquely realistic the Apogees likely make this sound
What I was really impressed with was how Justin's Duettas coped w different genres w'out breaking sweat or seeming to favour some music over others
Even now I'm pinching myself as to whether the Interstellas really coped w Miles as well as Nirvana as well as Marley as well as...Joe 90 theme tune!
That last pick was a great one from Justin, my hyper-attuned sense of nostalgia fully satisfied by this authentic slice of late 60s Hammond Organ-driven upbeat Barry Gray-composed Gerry Anderson tv theme tune

It's not about the drum duet. The drum duet shows what it can do for drums, for Mars (Planets (Holst), in general tympanis and bass drums. The fact that bass exists in space, comes at you from the open plane of the stage and grows and decays, is not a small tiny driver in a corner making the sound (no matter how big the cone, if you can isolate the driver, it is still tiny in reference to your plane)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Can you tell me what are the differences between the "Interstella" Duetta and the Duetta Signatures?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Micro, I believe they are one and the same, but w Justin ordering extra customisation
Eg super inert Al frame and uber inert bracing and stands
All is up for grabs re where Jon, Henk or Rich can go re customer wishes

Ked, yes I do get that
My point was I'm sold on the bass as point source emanating from whole panel surface literally enlivening and making more realistic the presentation
I'm sure that drum duet would have been the icing on the cake

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Can you tell me what are the differences between the "Interstella" Duetta and the Duetta Signatures?

Interstella is Justin's cool name for his own work of art. It's a spec'd duetta sig. Damn well built, try moving it, like nailed in to the ground.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, they're not just heavy
But really superbly constructed and finished
An excellent combination of Al frame and struts, w superb automotive finish wooden shell
Mercedes Grey I believe
Just v seductive close up, assured at a distance

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ok, as a newbie to well sorted restored Apogees, I am sold on them in many ways
There are so many jaded sounds out there, and things that just perplex me
That going to a setup that just sounded so right and demanded yr utmost attention was like an adrenaline shot to the heart
Ron will be jumping on me re "hyperbole alert", but the demo just requires description in such glowing terms
So, I'm sold on the sound, practicality in my room, and cost
Where I remain confused is re amps synergy
Now, I know other Apogee threads flog this to death w the general consensus being tubes and ribbons don't really mix
Just how could 80W 211s so make the Duettas sing when more powerfully rated Ayons (200W in pentode mode) just not quite get there
Caveat here, Ked preferred the Ayons to Justin's 211s, Justin not so sure re the comparison
And 120W NATs Transmitters SETetrodes on moderately more efficient Analysis Omegas IMHO not enough
Similarly Divas on Spectrals SS again seemed a poor match

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How does it matter. You already like the sound with the 211. You have the NAT already. So you see how it sounds with them. Over time audition a couple of class A. If they are better, sell off the NAT and get them, otherwise decide between NAT and 211.

Actually, amp choice is easier for such speakers. For scintilla, there are two amps I will consider. If I like a horn do you know how many 211, 845, 300b, el34, gm70, OTL, etc etc are out there? With duetta more choices than scintilla but still manageable since you heard a 211 and have the NAT.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
PM Ron. And for Justin's Drum mp3, he will post it here when he reads this.

Henk literally gave us the CD he had of the Drum Duet.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Marc, I am delighted that you finally had a great experience with Apogees! As I said privately I considered the sound of that Diva/Spectral system, or your reaction to the sound of that Diva/Spectral system, to be an inexplicable anomaly.

If Pendragons did not exist my decision would have been extremely tough: either Genesis Prime or Apogee Full Range rebuilds (I would have used very happily two or three pairs of high-power tube amps, and let y'all argue endlessly about how tubes don't work on those speakers) on the one (dipole) hand, or Rockport Arrakis or Von Schweikert Audio Ultra 11s on the other (box) hand.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sure Ked, put that way it's v simple
I don't want this thread to go on the Mobius Loop of tubes or not w Apogees
Justin's 211s work, and work well
My beloved NATs are real workhorses
I'll have to take a punt
For me to be even talking this way, and be as stoked today for what I heard a few days ago, is testament to the positivity of that demo
It answered qs that I hadn't even formulated yet LOL

Ron, what is relevant to my discussions w you, is that after hearing truly stupendous bass at Justin's, I'd have zero desire or need for augmented woofer subs
That bass is so pure, so fast, so responsive, it sold itself there and then, and I didn't for a second miss traditional cones
FWIW, YMMV, IMO etc (LOL)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Grant (Lissnr) uses 2 REL for 24 Hz and below. He keeps it on minimum setting

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, do you feel the subs made a difference?
Did you a/b Grant's sound with and without?
No doubt Justin's sound COULD benefit from subs
But what was startling was how I really didn't miss cones in his system at all
Not once did I think the lows were lacking, either in impact, bloom or extension
It was quite the conversion for me
Esp bass not appearing to be localised but of one w the rest of the spectrum band and over the whole height of the panel
This really was instructive, and made the illusion of "live" better than any other spkr I've auditioned

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Below 24 Hz. We tried dialing them a bit more and that made the mids muddier, so below 24 you could just bring them in. Minor difference, but increases soundstage feel. If I get Apogees, subs will come in later, three years down the line.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing