Analog Warmth

I own a Viva Solista and it spits out a fair amount of heat but I have a basement listening room and so I don't mind. It does not generate nearly the heat of an OTL though. I have had a set of Atmas in my room and I enjoyed them although the speaker was 4 ohm and thus not ideal. I found them (MA-1s I think) to be clean, fast and wide open. Very good. I always wanted to hear or own the Joule Electras as well. I almost sprung for a pair of used Rites of Passage, and those would have turned my listening room into a sweat lodge with mystic visions abounding....

I'm calling you out on this one. I really doubt your heard these amps. If you did, name the person.

We've not run into a speaker these amps won't play. You'd better fess up on this one as at this point I am of the opinion you are trolling. So name the owner of the amps. You can PM me if you like.

You really shouldn't do that, call me out. I was being nice. I could tell what I really thought about the sound of them. It won't be pretty at all.

I heard them several times as I knew someone who owned them. He quite regretted the purchase, and even more so the difficulty reselling the behemoths when he gave up on them. The speakers were Soundlab A1s. Many over at the Soundlab owners forum sing the praises of your amps. Having heard them, I don't know what to think is behind that.

I can PM you details of how they sounded and what I thought wrong with them to avoid public negativity for your products if you wish. I won't likely be sending you the name as it is not my place to do so, and it has been something like 4 years since he sold them.

I also think it quite low class of you to call me a liar and a troll. What reason would I have to troll on the topic of your amps? When I heard my friend had purchased them I was quite excited. They seemed like a good idea, and I own some Soundlabs myself. My excitement was unfortunately matched by my disappointment upon hearing them.

I own a Viva Solista and it spits out a fair amount of heat but I have a basement listening room and so I don't mind. It does not generate nearly the heat of an OTL though. I have had a set of Atmas in my room and I enjoyed them although the speaker was 4 ohm and thus not ideal. I found them (MA-1s I think) to be clean, fast and wide open. Very good. I always wanted to hear or own the Joule Electras as well. I almost sprung for a pair of used Rites of Passage, and those would have turned my listening room into a sweat lodge with mystic visions abounding....

If I were ever to own a Tube amp it wold the Joule ELectras Rite Of Passage.. I don;t think they are produced anymore though... Superlative is what comes to mind ...

Tubes DEF can be a little too hot to handle.
This morning I half asleep walked twds my system, tripped over my Entreq ground box, and went straight down onto my Nat Mono, and took out a 211! Clever, NOT.
This was a new sort of heat, anger followed by searing pain causing me to look at my thigh and find it needs stitching! No sh!t.

I frequently wonder how I have survived my 211 monos... especially after a few drinks.

Bad luck Marc.

You really shouldn't do that, call me out. I was being nice. I could tell what I really thought about the sound of them. It won't be pretty at all.

I heard them several times as I knew someone who owned them. He quite regretted the purchase, and even more so the difficulty reselling the behemoths when he gave up on them. The speakers were Soundlab A1s. Many over at the Soundlab owners forum sing the praises of your amps. Having heard them, I don't know what to think is behind that.

I can PM you details of how they sounded and what I thought wrong with them to avoid public negativity for your products if you wish. I won't likely be sending you the name as it is not my place to do so, and it has been something like 4 years since he sold them.

I also think it quite low class of you to call me a liar and a troll. What reason would I have to troll on the topic of your amps? When I heard my friend had purchased them I was quite excited. They seemed like a good idea, and I own some Soundlabs myself. My excitement was unfortunately matched by my disappointment upon hearing them.

The reason that I suspect this is entirely made up is that I know where every single MA-3 is. Your story does not sound right. As far as not being pretty- you already did that, which is why we are here now.

Last edited:
Tubes DEF can be a little too hot to handle.
This morning I half asleep walked twds my system, tripped over my Entreq ground box, and went straight down onto my Nat Mono, and took out a 211! Clever, NOT.
This was a new sort of heat, anger followed by searing pain causing me to look at my thigh and find it needs stitching! No sh!t.

You Clutz !!! If you are in need of medical attention I passed my Cub Scout first aid and needlework badges and am at your disposal, dib dib dib!

Roger, somehow I'm sure you are in no way as skilled as the lovely girl who tended to me.
I was going to impress her w/tales of derring do, but admitted to Old Man Syndrome, and the tendency to "if you can get it wrong, you will"
Happy to meet over some Absynth to dull the pain of my bruised ego.

The reason that I suspect this is entirely made up is that I know where every single MA-3 is. Your story does not sound right. As far as not being pretty- you already did that, which is why we are here now.

Ralph,

I understand how touchy people are about things they make with great passion. Which would include your products. However, you have publicly insulted me calling me a liar. I know for absolute certain fact that is not the case.

Thus far all I said was your amps sounded warm when I heard them, that I didn't like the sound, and I thought it a poor match for the speaker in use. Pretty innocuous commentary to result in being called a liar. Since you did insult me publicly I have added if I told the full details it would only look worse which it would. I don't have any inherent wish to insult your amps or denigrate them as plenty of people love them and I don't own them nor have I owned them. I have heard them and certainly you are in no position to call me a liar for having had an opinion at variance with yours on the sound which I would point out you never heard.

I will accept an apology for your insult via PM.

Atmasphere and Esldude, I feel the temperature rising.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't let this become a Blizz v Stenhouse/Nadac blow up.

The mods are up to their necks dealing w/disputes, let's not add to their load.

Maybe sort it out offline?

Ralph,

I understand how touchy people are about things they make with great passion. Which would include your products. However, you have publicly insulted me calling me a liar. I know for absolute certain fact that is not the case.

Thus far all I said was your amps sounded warm when I heard them, that I didn't like the sound, and I thought it a poor match for the speaker in use. Pretty innocuous commentary to result in being called a liar. Since you did insult me publicly I have added if I told the full details it would only look worse which it would. I don't have any inherent wish to insult your amps or denigrate them as plenty of people love them and I don't own them nor have I owned them. I have heard them and certainly you are in no position to call me a liar for having had an opinion at variance with yours on the sound which you I would point out you never heard.

I will accept an apology for your insult via PM.

You have to understand something here. I know where every single one of these amps went and have been to the houses of all the owners.

Actually, you could have avoided this by not saying anything when you had the chance. I've been on this site since its inception; imagine how things would have gone for me if I insulted the work of other members on the site!

The fact is, if what you are alluding to is real, it could have only been one amplifier but the circumstances you have described since your first post don't sound right. That is why I called you out, and you balked; instead got defensive which has only served to make your story less credible with me. So name the owner and if real, you will have your apology. FWIW, your allusions to not being pretty and the like are not a concern.

If I were ever to own a Tube amp it wold the Joule ELectras Rite Of Passage.. I don;t think they are produced anymore though... Superlative is what comes to mind ...

Ditto. I came oh so close to buying them but I have a windowless, bank vault of a room and was worried about the heat (and also the little creatures I now have at home). All that aside, I wish I regret the lost opportunity. I think Jud is officially retired, so its a moot point.....

Atmasphere and Esldude, I feel the temperature rising.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't let this become a Blizz v Stenhouse/Nadac blow up.

The mods are up to their necks dealing w/disputes, let's not add to their load.

Maybe sort it out offline?

I did offer.

I also reported the offending post.

I also sent you a set of rules you could use to tighten up your moderation, I did that over a year ago.

You are correct that I am upset. I had a member insult my work; our flagship product; and I know exactly how well the amps work with Sound Labs (which is why some 90% of our larger amp production are running on Sound Labs). Dick Olsher gave us Best Sound at Show with our amps on a set of Sound Labs (IOW its not like this is just my opinion). This would have gone a lot better if ESLdude had simply responded with a name offline as I suggested. So far he's refused. What does that tell you?

How about this? Delete this thread.

You have to understand something here. I know where every single one of these amps went and have been to the houses of all the owners.

Actually, you could have avoided this by not saying anything when you had the chance. I've been on this site since its inception; imagine how things would have gone for me if I insulted the work of other members on the site!

The fact is, if what you are alluding to is real, it could have only been one amplifier but the circumstances you have described since your first post don't sound right. That is why I called you out, and you balked; instead got defensive which has only served to make your story less credible with me. So name the owner and if real, you will have your apology. FWIW, your allusions to not being pretty and the like are not a concern.

I think this is all very entertaining. An audio throw down. Esldude, reveal your source.....

I think this is all very entertaining. An audio throw down. Esldude, reveal your source.....

My friend values his privacy more than most. So it is not my place to publicly put his name out there. I will send him the location and he can see if he made a visit. Again not my place to put someones name out in public even in a PM to Ralph for that matter. I wouldn't want that done to me.

Last edited:

Well, there is one amplifier you either have lost track of or didn't visit. I will send you some detail via PM, but you are pissing me off by continuing to insist I am lying when I know I am not. I am not so much defensive as trying to avoid a bunch of public nastiness. You seem intent on that happening. Please consider your next response with a cool head.

I'm taking odds right now on how soon the mods shut this thread down.
Less than 24hrs, 2-1 ON
24-48 hrs, EVENS
48 hrs+, 5-1.
"Another One Bites the Dust"...

I need a drink...

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing