An Ongaku amp at 20% of retail..too good to be true?

Last edited:
Allot of scams going on over at Audiogon so be VERY VERY CAREFUL! Allot of members names being used, it recently happened to me and to others, just today there were crazy amounts of ads. The problem being if you want to ask the "supposive" owner a question you have to provide your membership name along with password. These are ghost ads and as soon as you click on you are in their world and providing them with all of your information and can now steal your membership identity, it's a friggen nitemare. I have been constaintly requiesting them to post a warning banner right at the top of any of the pages of product for sale along with placing a button on each ad saying "problem with ad' so if there are any concerns it's easy and can be sent to them imediatly to look at on their end without actually providing any info but it has fallen on death ear so far.

Many individuals are falling for these sams and wiring money along with providing their personal info.

If the deal looks to good to be true there ususally is a reason behind it.

Interesting because if you go to that link it says that the seller's listing has been suspended

Not for me. I still get the listing. I did get that msg for MrAcoustat's fake ad.

check out the Vac 80k monoblocks for 15k. there are a bunch of scammers now thanks to Audiogon.

the $7600 Lamm ML2.1s disappeared again LOL.

There was a pair of Alexandria 2s...for 25K. That lasted half a day until i contacted the Distributor...to help me make sure this was real. Needless to say, it wasn't.

I am curious (and I don't have an web design experience) what Agon did in the changeover to make them suddenly a hacker target? Or is it just that this would have eventually happened? Criminals are pretty smart when it comes to computer crimes.

I received this today at my INBOX from Audiogon - take note

Audiogon Tips: How To Keep Yourself Safe Online
Don't leave yourself open to attacks - keep yourself safe by directing potential buyers and sellers to keep everything ONLINE. One of the best ways to help prevent fraud is to use our On-Site Messaging System. By communicating and tracking the order process on Audiogon, you can help deter fraudulent attemps to your account. This also helps our Support Team to quickly research and resolve your case in the event of a fraudulent transaction.
As with any online marketplace, Audiogon can also be a target for phishers, spammers, and hackers. We work 24/7 to prevent fraud through behind-the-scenes security measures and active reviews to ensure the validity of listings. However, it's also a best practice for you to remain vigilant and proactive in your dealings.

1. Audiogon will NEVER send you a notice prompting you to enter your password. Do not give your password to anyone. To learn more, click here
  2. Be wary of copycat sites; always be certain that your login page shows "app.audiogon.com" in the url. Click here to read more about copycats.
  3. If anything seems out of the ordinary, contact us PRIOR to taking any action.
  4. Report any suspected fraudulent sites to the proper governing authorities. For more information, click here
  5. Keep all transactions and any communication regarding transactions On-Site.

One of the most common issues for any community-based website is Phishing - someone trying to gain access to your personal information under the guise of a legitimate transaction. But, in order to do that, the Phisher must first be certain that their victim is a member of the site and secondly, must be in possession of the victim's email address. With Audiogon's newly launched On-Site Messaging platform, your personal email address stays protected unless YOU give it out.

In case you haven't tried On-site Messaging yet, you can start a private message to another user using the Member Lookup function or from the Read Feedback screen.

Here's how it looks from Member Lookup:

send%20message%20member%20lookup.jpg

And here's how to start a message from the Read Feedback screen:

read%20feedback%20send%20message.jpg

Your Inbox View:

inbox%20after%20first%20reply.jpg

Tip: You can access your Audiogon email from any computer -just log on to your MyPage and click on Inbox!

To view step-by-step Messaging instructions, click here

To view a short Messaging video tutorial on our YouTube channel, click here

To see more on this topic, go to our blog here

Help keep yourself protected: If you see any suspicious activity, please let us know immediately. We want to HEAR from you - contact us!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu