... an odyssey with spectral dmc10

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Well, the "genius" part is what has set Spectral apart for 40 years now... Damian was a member here for a brief period of time, years ago...

Pierrefoo

May 3, 2021
Yeah, love his designs. DMC 10 and DMA 100 are the best Amplifier system ever made, even in today standard.
Rich Fryer is a nice boss that he won't mark up Spectral's gear at a sky high level, please look at today's high end gears and their prices! What a shame when compared to Spectral!

Reactions: rascs

Jon Q

VIP/Donor
Jun 16, 2019
Lisbon
..." Rich Fryer is a nice boss that he won't mark up Spectral's gear at a sky high level, please look at today's high end gears and their prices! What a shame when compared to Spectral! "...

I fully agree

Reactions: Amir and Geert1962

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Pierrefoo & Jon Q i would like to say I agree with you both, but you need to look at the high prices the importers are charging for Spectral gear in Europe. :(

chungjh

Oct 2, 2019
Yeah, love his designs. DMC 10 and DMA 100 are the best Amplifier system ever made, even in today standard.
Rich Fryer is a nice boss that he won't mark up Spectral's gear at a sky high level, please look at today's high end gears and their prices! What a shame when compared to Spectral!
My friend has DMC 20 and DMA 200 and it has a beautiful clear sound. How would you compare that system to DMA 100 and DMC10? Other than the power difference, of course.

Avidlistener

Feb 18, 2013
I used to have the Dmc-10 in my system years ago and got a new volume pot built by the late Bob Crump. It was a huge sonic upgrade over the stock volume pots. I can’t remember the specifics but maybe searching his name would find some info about it. I also had a better DC umbilical cord made which also provided some benefits.

For some reason I kept the dma-50 amp which I haven’t used in years and just recently discovered I have the amp’s original box. Any suggestions for prepping the amp to list for sale? Is just firing it up and seeing if it works a good idea?

MLAS

Mar 18, 2021
..." Rich Fryer is a nice boss that he won't mark up Spectral's gear at a sky high level, please look at today's high end gears and their prices! What a shame when compared to Spectral! "...

I fully agree
Well I've a SDR-2000/3000 combination and I wouldn't call that affordable...
The DMC-10 Delta (I will get soon) is affordable though but not if you have some technician put in all the effort to make it perfect like Jon Q's tour de force did with his Delta.

I would be interested what you (Jon Q) think about these mods:

Last edited:

Jon Q

VIP/Donor
Jun 16, 2019
Lisbon
Hi
Good question, but I don't know the answer.
I don't know these modules, but to be honest I would never use rectifier bridges, these placed in the pcbs. They are excellent for industrial level, but not for audio. Due to the high junction capacity of the diodes, they are slow response, and this is bad for a audio system where the objective is
... "speed and resolution"

freddieck56

Dec 13, 2021
Yes, I have 3 Fluke, 77; 87; and 87III. They never gave me any problems.

To analyze other parameters I use a Tektronix TDS5054B-NV AV. It is my tool in digital domain, when I upgraded to my WADIA 6 just as a CD transport, the DAC board was removed, the output driver (AES dig. Out) was designed for this wadia, new clock, three new psu low noise, upgrade of the reset circuit, .....

j

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing