... an odyssey with spectral dmc10

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
You must be happy with the project. How’s it sounding? As expected, or better than you thought?

Jon Q

VIP/Donor
Jun 16, 2019
Lisbon
You must be happy with the project. How’s it sounding? As expected, or better than you thought?
yes, it far surpassed all my expectations, but there are still some details to finish.
It is logical that my opinion is always suspicious.

j

Gregm

Mar 14, 2019
France
yes, it far surpassed all my expectations, but there are still some details to finish.
It is logical that my opinion is always suspicious.

j
Nothing wrong with enjoying the fruits of your labour!
Indeed, I envy your technical abilities; why not consider also using some Elna Silmic caps -- diyers tell me they are great for audio applications!

Jon Q

VIP/Donor
Jun 16, 2019
Lisbon
Nothing wrong with enjoying the fruits of your labour!
Indeed, I envy your technical abilities; why not consider also using some Elna Silmic caps -- diyers tell me they are great for audio applications!
Hi
Good question. sometimes the best can have an unexpected result. Other times, the opinion is personal to each critic.

I know Elna's capacitors and they are good capacitors. The Silmic series is a condenser, which after a period of burning, presents a full and round bass. Many people like this type of sound. In my professional field, (development of video / audio broacast prototypes) we deal directly with musical instruments, and when we are inside a recording studio, we look for in the recording is as real as possible.

This is the spectral concept and it is this reason that I chose this brand to listen to music, whenever I can through the night.
For this reason I did not choose Elma (silmic series) for the spectral DMC10 and also for the DMA150.

I had this problem also in the first choice of nichicon (serie fine gold) two months later the final choice was nichicon (serie KW + KA), the reason for this choice is the synergy with the topology of Spectral.
Attention, this is just my opinion.

J

Reactions: Gregm

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
That looks seriously amazing, nice work. :cool:

Reactions: Jon Q

Jon Q

VIP/Donor
Jun 16, 2019
Lisbon
Initially when replacing electrolytic capacitors, the choice was nichicon (fine gold series), except the capacitors of protection circuit.

Attachments

• 30.jpg
    30.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 33
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    566.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 33

Jon Q

VIP/Donor
Jun 16, 2019
Lisbon
After a burn , and many hours of listening, the final choice was the same manufacturer but serie (KW + KA).
The reason for this change is indicated in the previous line (#25).

Attachments

• 33.jpg
    33.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    731.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 35.jpg
    35.jpg
    532.6 KB · Views: 38
  • 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 39

Jon Q

VIP/Donor
Jun 16, 2019
Lisbon
The volume pot., had an alternative a CT2 10K-2, from Danish Audio ConneT. (a sample from a friend). After many hours of listening, I found it to be an excellent component, but for an odd reason !!!! I kept the original pot. (noble)

The balance pot was replaced by the same concept by spectral DMC20, including the same resistance values as the DMC20. (fig.37).
Strange is also the DMC10's concept of putting the volume first and then the balance !!!!

J

Attachments

• 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    606.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    443.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 39.jpg
    39.jpg
    505.3 KB · Views: 46

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
when we are inside a recording studio, we look for in the recording is as real as possible.

This is the spectral concept and it is this reason that I chose this brand to listen to music
Precisely

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
There is poetry in your work, and of course, the original designs from Spectral :) Makes me wanna visit Portugal!

Jon Q

VIP/Donor
Jun 16, 2019
Lisbon

Attachments

• Polvo á lagareiro.jpg
    Polvo á lagareiro.jpg
    506.4 KB · Views: 9
  • vinho_tinto_quinta_do_espirito_santo_2016_gr.jpg
    vinho_tinto_quinta_do_espirito_santo_2016_gr.jpg
    258.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
... and I LOVE octocups and red wine!

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
@Jon Q thanks for sharing your journey with us. Incredible stuff.

Moon-1

Feb 12, 2021
Greetings!
You have a great idea and implementation! Respect! I have a question - what do you think is better to put the resistors in the RC55Y or RN55E current mode? the fact is that I looked they are equally suitable for both current and voltage mode, and I was puzzled why you put the RN55E over current?
I do prophylaxis in my DMC-10, DMA-50, DMA-180.

Pierrefoo

May 3, 2021
From the datasheet, I see these RN55D, like others in their lineup, "are provided with high purity copper leads" and are non-inductive. Spectral has been light years ahead...
Hi Ack,
The early Deltas used CGW na55 resistors, which considered much better sounding than the Dales.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Are the CGW still popular today with any manufacturers?

Pierrefoo

May 3, 2021
Are the CGW still popular today with any manufacturers?
Not any more, Ack. Corning Glass works was bought out by BEI and latter AVX. So you could only find CGW resistors in surplus store. The designer of the preamp , Damien Martin was a real genius not only in the design of the circuit but the choice of components also, who will dare to use aerospace grade Vishay resistors in the feedback path and CRC Teflon's in RIAA path back in the early 80's?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing