An Explanation of the Term "Suspension of Disbelief"

Ron, can you please start a thread, Do acoustically coupled videos help you suspend disbelief

• Haha
Reactions: PeterA
Thats very condecending of you!
As usual for me you have very little ( being kind) to add to any thread I have read. What the heck its a risk to my status and approach LMAO

As could be expected your answer confirms my main point - we are a very diverse community. Thanks.

this morning spent a few hours listening to 4 Classical Lp's, over 3+ hours 'in the zone' switched between 4 tonearms on three tt's each side rotated. i was flying high and it all was working. constant suspension of disbelief (my preferred way of saying it) where the system/room/time of day/life stuff retreated into the background. i was participating in the musical sphere.

now taking a break.......reading this thread......hate to lose my music buzz to think too much. but suspension of disbelief = degree of music not sounding reproduced. these days it's always very good, this morning exceptional. this past week lots of sports + system website maintenance. decks and my mind were clear this morning so i was ready to get immersed.
I really feel sorry now for those who have never experienced this. My number 1 audio objective rather than argue about words :)

Reactions: Lee
As could be expected your answer confirms my main point - we are a very diverse community. Thanks.
and your reply confirms you status as well. Thank you for confirming it!

I accept that some people main interest is not high-end knowledge or discussion and are bothered for any argument that presents a risk to their status or approaches. I simply object to the methodology of having just ChatGPT to start a thread without any added value by the poster. Probably because I sometimes use it professionally and I know the risks.
completely agree. AI or ChatGPT are not things i want to be a part of the forum posting other than maybe a thread with that as a topic i can choose to ignore.

i'll not come to WBF to interact with AI. don't want to learn later that's what is going on.

i view AI/ChatGPT as a glorified google search engine. i don't go there to hang either. i use google sometimes, and can see the value of ChatGTP. it's not a good or bad thing.

Reactions: SOS
Ron, can you please start a thread, Do acoustically coupled videos help you suspend disbelief

Hilarious! The first post will be from ChatGBT and the super systems used as illustrations will all be AI generated. This will bring us right back to the entertainer's original intent, and microstrip will smile. The future of the High End will be complete immersion in a virtual world of suspended beliefs where real instruments are no longer even necessary, just associations with our memories, or our imaginations.

Reactions: tima
I simply object to the methodology of having just ChatGPT to start a thread without any added value by the poster.

Always happy to talk with an human.

I am baffled by this overwrought reaction. In this context ChatGPT is nothing more than a high-order on-line dictionary.

I would've thought that somebody with your academic sophistication and technical prowess would not be intimidated by a dictionary.

Last edited:

No need for a whole thread on this topic. The answer is: no.

Reactions: KeithR
A student at Harvard gave her Professors 10 papers for them to grade. Five, she said she wrote and the others were written by Chat yet in reality they were all written by Chat GPT. The average grade given to her alleged authorship was a B+. Not bad!

I am baffled by this overwrought reaction. In this context ChatGPT is nothing more than a high-order on-line dictionary.

I am astonished by your answer - you seem to ignore completely what is AI and ChatGPT.

I would've thought that somebody with your academic sophistication and technical prowess would not be intimidated by a dictionary.

Please do not twist my posts and answers. I am not intimidated by ChatGPT, but fear the consequences of its use in our mainly subjective forum. And, in my personnel view, consider your particular way of using it a nuisance. But as I said before, your forum, your rules. But I can guess that sooner than we think you will have to include a line about AI and the use of bots in the TOS.

Fortunately people with much higher academic sophistication and technical prowess than me are taking these AI things very seriously and I am able to read their reports and advise.

I find these posts more or less extremely interesting and lively, I don't find anything uncivilized if someone offers me a vision different from mine and, since I try not to get lost in absolutism and dogmatism, I always question even my own ideas and my convictions, in a continuous process of thesis, antithesis and synthesis. I find the suspension of disbelief like an immersion in the deepest cavern of a cave where, the light that is projected behind me, produces the shadows of life and music on the back wall. fortunately, even if sunk in and wrapped up in the sweet chains of my sofa, however enraptured it may be, for the purpose of particular listening sessions, the magic of illusion always gives way to the certainty of having to untie those ties that imprison the mind, in even a good carbon copy, with the most absolute conviction of having to abandon the half-light and return to the light of a good orchestra in my favorite theater….. remember the comparison always opens the mind and I would like to remind you that all this starts from a mind that asked an instrument to play a task. sorry for my bad english

Reactions: Al M. and dbeau
Lee, I think Jim Smith talks about EE, Emotional Engagement. He does not refer to his goal as Sonic Heaven or Suspension of Disbelief.

I see no reason to bring up the whole SET + Horns subject in this thread. Andro did it for effect, but it is a diversion from the thread's topic and allows others to pontificate.

I think he definitely means some element of disbelief. Agree on the SET discussion not adding value.

I am astonished by your answer - you seem to ignore completely what is AI and ChatGPT.

Easy, easy. No reason to get yourself triggered. I am well aware of the potential AI bogeyman behind the curtain.

But that is irrelevant to using ChatGPT to get a definition, instead of thumbing through The American Heritage Dictionary.

Nope, I'm not ignoring anything. I think you are ignoring my limitation to "in this [dictionary] context."

Reactions: Pokey77
A student at Harvard gave her Professors 10 papers for them to grade. Five, she said she wrote and the others were written by Chat yet in reality they were all written by Chat GPT. The average grade given to her alleged authorship was a B+. Not bad!

Grading inflation is a symptom of our time.

I see no reason to bring up the whole SET + Horns subject in this thread. Andro did it for effect, but it is a diversion from the thread's topic and allows others to pontificate.

+1

Easy, easy. No reason to get yourself triggered. I am well aware of the potential AI bogeyman behind the curtain.

But that is irrelevant to using ChatGPT to get a definition, instead of thumbing through The American Heritage Dictionary.

Nope, I'm not ignoring anything. I think you are ignoring my limitation to "in this [dictionary] context."
one cant ask someone to change thier whole attitude but the degree at which it is carried out here over such a simple thing as a definition of a term is rediculous. You did not ask the Chat to review something or tell you the best speakere to purtchase.The few here that IMO ruin every discussion by insisting to change the entire thread to fit their own personal narrative is just absurd.
THe same thing happened on the Harley thing as well. I truly believe people have forgotten how to read and absorb and/or just care about hearing themselves talk( write)
Kind of boring I find. My apologies Ron this is not addressed to you.

This is exactly it. When someone writes that he suspends disbelief in any high end system, I see a noob who is just enthralled by seeing big speakers and big sound. Like wow, this is 7 feet tall and speaker to speaker is 15 feet wide so that is closer to the length and breadth of the orchestra as compared to a soundbar.
Maybe when your system already defaults you into a deep focus on engagement in the music and not thinking about the gear or the sound that you’re not surprised when you notice that’s what’s always going on. If it’s inconsistent I figure then you might feel the need to come up with a term for it as some kind of threshold objective. It’s like when people do a system change and suddenly feel a surprising emotional connection to the music… like emotional engagement with music isn’t what they experience normally when they are playing good music.

I do struggle to analyse my system these days because it isn’t something I am unconsciously drawn into doing and haven’t for quite some time now. Focus on the music connection has been my primary aim for years and I do focus on connecting with the best music performances these days as my objective when listening. I think this being caught up by the music’s gestalt has become just an expectation norm. I guess where you continuously look to becomes what you then regularly see.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing